Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Does this mean she's weaning?

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2014 at 9:30 PM
  • 12 Replies
DD (20 months) at some point quit using her tongue to nurse, and I didn't find out until she bit me and would continue grinding her teeth into the cut. She also doesn't actually eat much except right before waking up in the morning, just before bed, and at about three AM. The rest of the time, it just seems like comfort nursing, a minute here or there, or five to ten minutes in my lap of playing "stick the nipple in my mouth, get distracted, look away, put it back, and repeat" until I get sick of it and put her down. It doesn't help that I all of a sudden can't feel letdown any more, I have to go by the noises she makes and the way she's behaving to know if she's actually eating.

I'm the one who was asking about the clogged duct and fever last Wednesday. The fever was due to a sinus infection that I am now on antibiotics for, and the clog has been clear since Thursday. I was pretty badly dehydrated Wednesday, and am still battling with drinking enough water because it's dry in our apartment and EVERYTHING tastes funny. Other than the teeth, could the way she's acting just be because I'm sick and/or be related to her spending all day last Tuesday with her grandma for the first time? I don't want her to wean. She doesn't do well when I drink milk-I'm not even sure I want to think about how she'll react to drinking the milk straight up.

As for the teeth thing, is there a way to get her to start nursing properly? I keep unlatching her and telling her to use her tongue by sticking mine out to show her, but she just thinks it's a game and goes back to using her teeth. I didn't know she was doing it until she bit me because my nipples are apparently so "tough" that I couldn't feel it.
by on Jul. 28, 2014 at 9:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MaryJarrett
by Mary on Jul. 28, 2014 at 9:39 PM
Kellymom has an article on teaching how to latch. I don't remember what it says though.

I do know that you never, ever have to give substitute milks. We're the only species that drinks another species milk, and the only one that drinks milks into adulthood. They aren't necessary as long as she is getting other sources of healthy fats, calcium, vit D, etc. We rarely, of ever, do any milks here, even plant based, which are a great alternative.

To me, it doesn't sound like weaning, it sounds like teething (molars?) or maybe even an ear infection.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 9:42 PM
Try reminding her to open wide when she latches on, and support your breast like you did when she was a newborn. Could she possibly be teething or have thrush?

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

mnmbaby
by Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 9:42 PM
She's trying to bring in both of her bottom eye teeth. Not sure about the top ones, she won't let me look.

I always forget about KellyMom. I will check it out in the morning.

Quoting MaryJarrett: Kellymom has an article on teaching how to latch. I don't remember what it says though.

I do know that you never, ever have to give substitute milks. We're the only species that drinks another species milk, and the only one that drinks milks into adulthood. They aren't necessary as long as she is getting other sources of healthy fats, calcium, vit D, etc. We rarely, of ever, do any milks here, even plant based, which are a great alternative.

To me, it doesn't sound like weaning, it sounds like teething (molars?) or maybe even an ear infection.
mnmbaby
by Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 9:44 PM
No thrush. She doesn't have anything in her mouth, and I'm not having any problems, either. Thrush is the one with the white stuff in their mouth, right?

She is trying to bring in both her bottom eye teeth.

Quoting MusherMaggie: Try reminding her to open wide when she latches on, and support your breast like you did when she was a newborn. Could she possibly be teething or have thrush?
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 9:53 PM
Try treating the teething pain and see if that helps. And yes, you would have some combination of white coating, and red, itchy, painful nipples if thrush were present.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jul. 28, 2014 at 10:10 PM

Sounds like a combo of everything to me, drink something that rehydrates like smartwater and keep offering

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 29, 2014 at 10:02 AM

Thrush can be present with NO white coating; I'd never actually bother looking for that because thrush happens without it so often.

Weaning started with the very first bite of solids, whenever that was given.

mnmbaby
by Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 10:30 AM
I don't have any pain.

I know weaning starts at the first bite of solids, but what else is there to call it? Not trying to be a smartass, I really don't know what else to call it.

Quoting gdiamante:

Thrush can be present with NO white coating; I'd never actually bother looking for that because thrush happens without it so often.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 30, 2014 at 9:23 AM

Quoting mnmbaby: I don't have any pain. I know weaning starts at the first bite of solids, but what else is there to call it? Not trying to be a smartass, I really don't know what else to call it.
Quoting gdiamante:

Ogh, I wasn't trying to be either. She's been weaning since you first gave her solids. So the answer to your initial question is YES... but this can go on for a long long long time. (Months and months.)

mnmbaby
by Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:34 PM
Then what's it called when you are close to the end of the long long long time? :)

And I didn't take your reply as you being a smartass. :)

She seems to be picking up again as I've started feeling better, and actually almost threw a temper tantrum in the grocery store about 45 minutes ago because it was getting close to naptime and I wouldn't let her pull at my shirt.

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting mnmbaby: I don't have any pain.

I know weaning starts at the first bite of solids, but what else is there to call it? Not trying to be a smartass, I really don't know what else to call it.

Quoting gdiamante:

Ogh, I wasn't trying to be either. She's been weaning since you first gave her solids. So the answer to your initial question is YES... but this can go on for a long long long time. (Months and months.)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)