Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Only fussy and gassy at night?

Posted by on Jul. 29, 2014 at 10:55 AM
  • 25 Replies
My little girl is a month old. For the past week she has been really fussy and gassy at night. She is fine all day. She eats, poops, passes gas during the day. At night, I've had to resort to giving her gas drops and do multiple pats, rubs, and rolls to get her to pass gas and burp. It usually takes her about an hour to calm down. I will feed her again and she will usually sleep for about a 4 hour block before she wakes to eat again. This is my third baby and I've never had this with the other two. I'm kinda at a loss and want to help her to keep from getting gassy. Does anyone have suggestions? Thank you!
by on Jul. 29, 2014 at 10:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 11:20 AM
Does it happen as soon as she goes down at night or later after you feed her again? Do you nurse in a different position at night than in the daytime? Does she gulp or unlatch frequently during a feeding? Anything you've been eating yourself in the evening that is new?
Focused_Mom
by Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 12:24 PM
It's when I lay her down. I've always used a front hold with a boppy pillow at every feeding. I don't use the pillow while we are out but we still do a front hold. She doesn't gulp or unlatch. I've not changed eating other than giving up caffeine at night. I didn't know if the caffeine may be bothering her. The only thing that has changed was my husband went back to work this week. He works days though and he's here at night. I'm not sure if that would bother her. I'm kind of at a loss :-( She gets hiccups a lot but she always gets them. Nothing new there either.
Focused_Mom
by Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 12:25 PM
It didn't quote right. But I responded :-)

Quoting MusherMaggie: Does it happen as soon as she goes down at night or later after you feed her again? Do you nurse in a different position at night than in the daytime? Does she gulp or unlatch frequently during a feeding? Anything you've been eating yourself in the evening that is new?
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 1:54 PM
It may just be a function of her digestive system still being immature. When you say "frontal hold" do you mean the cradle position where she's lying across your lap? If so, try reclining to nurse: you lean back, she goes tummy-to-tummy with you vertically rather than horizontally, mouth over rather than under the nipple.
amberNewman0213
by Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 1:58 PM
Gripe water works very well. Also taking her legs into a bycicle motion helps things move around. Maybe try holding her upright for abiut 30 mins after a feeding befor laying her down. And check for upper lip ties which even if she is nursing and latching okay. Those upper ties can make them gulp air too.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 2:02 PM
Quoting amberNewman0213: Gripe water works very well. Also taking her legs into a bycicle motion helps things move around. Maybe try holding her upright for abiut 30 mins after a feeding befor laying her down. And check for upper lip ties which even if she is nursing and latching okay. Those upper ties can make them gulp air too.

Gripe water is not recommended for breastfed babies as it ruins the virgin gut.

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

amberNewman0213
by Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 2:05 PM
Wouldnt any meds or anything besides breastmilk do that? Id perfer a natural alternative to gas drops but thats my personal preference.

Quoting MusherMaggie:
Quoting amberNewman0213: Gripe water works very well. Also taking her legs into a bycicle motion helps things move around. Maybe try holding her upright for abiut 30 mins after a feeding befor laying her down. And check for upper lip ties which even if she is nursing and latching okay. Those upper ties can make them gulp air too.

Gripe water is not recommended for breastfed babies as it ruins the virgin gut.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 2:13 PM
The gas drops are actually better because they are not absorbed by the body.
Focused_Mom
by Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 2:52 PM
Yes I couldn't remember what it was called but that's it. I will try that, thank you!

Quoting MusherMaggie: It may just be a function of her digestive system still being immature. When you say "frontal hold" do you mean the cradle position where she's lying across your lap? If so, try reclining to nurse: you lean back, she goes tummy-to-tummy with you vertically rather than horizontally, mouth over rather than under the nipple.
Focused_Mom
by Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 2:58 PM
Thank you! I will try the bicycle motion. I'm pretty sure she doesn't have a lip tie but I will try to take a pic to show you ladies.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN