Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

worried about keeping up with breastfeeding while working

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:32 AM
  • 13 Replies

i just returned returned to work yesterday and am exclusively breastfeeding. i pump 2 to 3 oz. in a 10 min. period and pump twice at work. my son had eaten about 11 oz. in the 6 1/2 hours i was at work yesterday. he eats quite a bit from me when im at home so it can be difficult to pump alot when im home with him. im worried that the supply i have stored up will run out faster than i expected and i wont be able to keep up with his needs.

by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shortyali
by Alicia on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:39 AM
He was way over fed for 6.5 hours you want to leave 6-8ozs given in 2-3oz bottles every 2.5-3 hours.
Also add a pumping session first thing every morning and that should help out if your ever short.
Georgie2
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 11:29 AM
He was overfed, which will make it really hard for you to keep up)-: Your caregiver REALLY has to stick by the 1-1.5 oz for every hour of separation rule and practice paced bottle feeding. My Little One is 10 months now and we're doing good, but my pump output dipped and I struggled to keep up for awhile. If my daycare wasn't awesome about not over feeding and pacing his bottles.. there's just no way we could have made it without supplementing.

Your pump output is excellent. You need to increase the pump time to 15 minutes each session. Pumping from one side of a morning will help. I feed Little Man right before we leave the house from one side and use my inverter to power my pump and pump the other side on the way to daycare. When I have a lower output day I'll also pump in the car on the way home.
Merrick17
by Corrine on Jul. 30, 2014 at 11:32 AM
Pump first thing in the morning and increase your 10 mins to at least 15. Also, 11oz is a lot for 6 hours. 8-9 is the highest I would so for 6-6.5, if possible. Also, pump once in the morning on your days off.
LeapBaby123
by Kathleen on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:08 PM
Like the others have said, 11oz is way too much, and you will have trouble keeping up if he continues to be overdoes. The forever number (never changes, even as baby ages) is 1-1.25oz per hour of separation. Less if you nurse at drop off and immediately upon return. Look up "bottle feeding the breastfed baby" on kellymom.com. It will teach you about paced bottle feeding. Baby gets fed with a slow flow nipple, sitting upright, bottle parallel with the floor, burped after very ounce.
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:27 PM
He should only have 1-1.25 ounces per hour of separation fed in 2-3 ounce portions every 2-3 hours. He had nearly double what he should have. Use the slowest flow newborn nipple always, baby held in a sitting position, bottle parallel to the floor, burping after every ounce. Pump every 2-3 hours while away for 15 minutes if you can. Pump first thing every morning, working or not, before, during or after the first feeding. See "Working and Breastfeeding" & "Bottlefeeding the Breastfed Baby" on Kellymom.com for more information.
polkaspots
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 3:16 PM
You also need to pump once every morning, and that should get you an extremely few ounces so that you have enough. Eleven is too much though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Jul. 30, 2014 at 3:37 PM

HUGS mmma, you need to pump atleast 15-20 minutes so that you get multiple letdowns, if youo arent pumping first thing in the morning start doing that!

That being said 11 oz is WAY overfeeding. YOur LO need 6-8 oz MAX when gone 6.5 hours.  Do not use mre milk than you pump in a day, that will hurt your supply big time

sourpatchmom098
by on Jul. 31, 2014 at 8:33 AM

thas what i was worried about. i was expecting about 8 oz. max i have read several places 2-3 oz. max evey 2-3 hours, but he eats from me all the time when im home and always seems to be hungry. my SO doesnt just feed it to  him to keep him quiet or anything like that but he is always giving feeding ques that hes hungry either smacking his lips and sucking on his hands or anything that gets near his mouh or rooting. he doesnt take pacifiers hardly ever. we do have the slow flow nipples and he does get burped frequently, i have also started pumping in the morning. he is also fed in small increments but still seems to be really hungry after the first bottle is gone. thank you for the information and the input i'll definitely check it out.

gdiamante
by Gina on Jul. 31, 2014 at 9:08 AM

Quoting sourpatchmom098:

thas what i was worried about. i was expecting about 8 oz. max i have read several places 2-3 oz. max evey 2-3 hours, but he eats from me all the time when im home and always seems to be hungry.

Doesn't matter. You still minimize the bottles. Bottle = famine, breast = feast.

my SO doesnt just feed it to  him to keep him quiet or anything like that but he is always giving feeding ques that hes hungry either smacking his lips and sucking on his hands or anything that gets near his mouh or rooting. he doesnt take pacifiers hardly ever. we do have the slow flow nipples and he does get burped frequently,

Also make sure dad is holding the bottle parallel to the floor. If baby is draining a bottle in ten minutes or less, the feeding is too fast.

i have also started pumping in the morning. he is also fed in small increments but still seems to be really hungry after the first bottle is gone. thank you for the information and the input i'll definitely check it out.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)