Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

allergies

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:37 AM
  • 10 Replies

I have not had issues with my allergies for years, but for some reason this year is a whopper.  Is there anything I can take?  I would love to be able to breath out of my nose!  I don't want to risk drying my milk up with decongestants though.  Thanks!

"Why fit in when you were born to stand out" ~Dr. Seuss

by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Terpsichore
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 12:07 PM

What are the allergies? Do you have a nettipot or similar? I find those help.

MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:05 PM
Saline and breastmilk drops in your nose. Zyrtec for the allergic reactions. If you need to, use a decongestant judiciously, and push extra fluid into yourself to offset any temporary dip in your supply.
K8wizzo
by Kate on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:58 PM

Zyrtec, claritin, allegra, and benedryl are all fine.  Pick your favorite and feel better!

dx1066
by Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 2:31 PM

They use to be primarily to grass, but like I said, I haven't had issues with them for years, but all of a sudden this year, they are back with a vengeance.  I think maybe I've developed more?  Not even sure if it's possible.  I went to the fair the other day, so maybe all the hay and straw did me in?  Not sure.  I don't have a nettipot.  I may have to invest in one though. 

Quote:

dx1066
by Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 2:32 PM

Why didn't I think of the breast milk drops?!!!  I'm going to try it right now.  I'm at work, and it's time to pump anyway! Thanks!

Quote:

Saline and breastmilk drops in your nose. Zyrtec for the allergic reactions. If you need to, use a decongestant judiciously, and push extra fluid into yourself to offset any temporary dip in your supply.

dx1066
by Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 2:34 PM

Maybe grandma can watch the kids one night, and Mommy can take a Benadryl and finally get some sleep!!!  Kill two birds with one stone!  I hate to push a teething 5 month old on Grandma though!  Thanks for the info.

Quote:

Zyrtec, claritin, allegra, and benedryl are all fine.  Pick your favorite and feel better!

Terpsichore
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 3:19 PM

I've been told by an allergist that new allergies can develop at any time in a person's life. 

If you do get a neti-pot thing, I've found I prefer clear ones so that I can see how much is in them. The actual neti-pot doesn't let a person see how much liquid is in it.

Quoting dx1066:

They use to be primarily to grass, but like I said, I haven't had issues with them for years, but all of a sudden this year, they are back with a vengeance.  I think maybe I've developed more?  Not even sure if it's possible.  I went to the fair the other day, so maybe all the hay and straw did me in?  Not sure.  I don't have a nettipot.  I may have to invest in one though. 

Quote:

dx1066
by Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 3:24 PM

I'm going to check them out online right now.  I just want to breath, and my nose is raw from blowing it.  Thanks!

Quote:

I've been told by an allergist that new allergies can develop at any time in a person's life. 

If you do get a neti-pot thing, I've found I prefer clear ones so that I can see how much is in them. The actual neti-pot doesn't let a person see how much liquid is in it.

MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 3:35 PM
Lanolin if you have some abd the breastmilk will help with the rawness, too. My daughter found an alternative to a neti pot that is an 8ounce plastic squeeze bottle with a valve that she uses with sterile saline. She found it at Target, I think.
dx1066
by Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 3:37 PM

I do have Lanolin!  Thanks!  I will look into the squeeze bottle.

Quote:

Lanolin if you have some abd the breastmilk will help with the rawness, too. My daughter found an alternative to a neti pot that is an 8ounce plastic squeeze bottle with a valve that she uses with sterile saline. She found it at Target, I think.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)