Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

He gets so angry!

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 12:59 PM
  • 17 Replies
My son is 11 days old and the past few days he's really fussy at night and gets upset if I try to lay down and side nurse in bed and seems to have trouble latching that way. He is also gassy at night so I went back to sitting up and nursing him but when it's time to lay down he starts grunting and is just really restless all night. he's getting upset while nursing during the day now too. He will start nursing and then stop and start shaking his head around my nipple and fussing and then nurse for a minute and do it all over again. Can this all be due to gas?
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 12:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LeapBaby123
by Kathleen on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:10 PM
Sounds like very typical newborn behavior. My son was exactly the same way. We didn't really figure out side lying nursing until about 2 months.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:19 PM
More likely overactive letdown/oversupply. Reclined nursing will help: you lean back, he goes tummy-to-tummy with you vertically rather than horizontally, mouth over rather than under the nipple. Does he have lip or tongue ties?
smurfy88
by Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:25 PM

Mobile Photo

Thanks I will try that! I'm not sure about the ties, here's his lip, I can't get a tongue picture right now.

Quoting MusherMaggie: More likely overactive letdown/oversupply. Reclined nursing will help: you lean back, he goes tummy-to-tummy with you vertically rather than horizontally, mouth over rather than under the nipple. Does he have lip or tongue ties?
smurfy88
by Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:29 PM

Mobile Photo

This is the best tongue picture I can get but you can't see much.

Quoting MusherMaggie: More likely overactive letdown/oversupply. Reclined nursing will help: you lean back, he goes tummy-to-tummy with you vertically rather than horizontally, mouth over rather than under the nipple. Does he have lip or tongue ties?
Seximama23
by Silver Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:33 PM
He looks lip and tongue tied..which can cause unlatch due to not having a good seal..it will cause gas becaude they swallow air. If you can look in the lost of tongue tie resources for preffered providers in your area.

Quoting smurfy88:

Mobile Photo

smurfy88
by Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:39 PM
Thanks!

Quoting Seximama23: He looks lip and tongue tied..which can cause unlatch due to not having a good seal..it will cause gas becaude they swallow air. If you can look in the lost of tongue tie resources for preffered providers in your area.

Quoting smurfy88:

Mobile Photo

Seximama23
by Silver Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:43 PM
No problem! Sorry for the spelling errors lol my silly phone

Quoting smurfy88: Thanks!

Quoting Seximama23: He looks lip and tongue tied..which can cause unlatch due to not having a good seal..it will cause gas becaude they swallow air. If you can look in the lost of tongue tie resources for preffered providers in your area.

Quoting smurfy88:

Mobile Photo

smurfy88
by Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 1:55 PM
Lol it's okay, auto correct is either your best friend or the devil!

Quoting Seximama23: No problem! Sorry for the spelling errors lol my silly phone

Quoting smurfy88: Thanks!

Quoting smurfy88:

Mobile Photo

sjenkins8208
by Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 8:06 AM
My lactation group said I have an over supply and Ds HATES any other hold besides a cradle hold right now. So they suggested I do block feeding. I started out at three feedings in a row per breast, it's day four of this I'm down to two feedings per breast. But Ds is able to get to the actual fatty part of the milk and is a lot less gassy and sleeps longer at night. It will also "train" my breasts to not produce much. Whatever is going on it's working
smurfy88
by Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 9:54 AM
What is block feeding?

Quoting sjenkins8208: My lactation group said I have an over supply and Ds HATES any other hold besides a cradle hold right now. So they suggested I do block feeding. I started out at three feedings in a row per breast, it's day four of this I'm down to two feedings per breast. But Ds is able to get to the actual fatty part of the milk and is a lot less gassy and sleeps longer at night. It will also "train" my breasts to not produce much. Whatever is going on it's working
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN