Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Thrush?

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 6:30 PM
  • 2 Replies

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

It's really hard to get a picture of the inside of a newborn mouth lol. His entire tongue is covered in white substance - the back is more solid white than patchy. He also has places on his gums and roof of his mouth. His dr told me that thrush is usually accompanied by a diaper rash, which he doesn't have. However, he has been super fussy lately when trying to latch on at feeds. Last night it was 20 minutes of crying, trying to latch and then pushing away before he calmed down. I've nursed 2 other kids, and never experienced this before. The dr called in a prescription just in case. I'm wondering if it's worth it to fill it.
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 6:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Jul. 30, 2014 at 6:37 PM
My guess from the pictures is yes. The diaper rash usually comes last: mouth to stomach to butt. The dr likely ordered you nystatin, which is an antifungal in sugar suspension, the problem being that yeast THRIVES off sugar so it's the least effective treatment. You will also need to be treated. Go to kellymom.com and look up thrush for all the available treatments. I personally am a fan of gentian violet.
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 6:46 PM
Yes, it looks like thrush. You will need to treat your baby, yourself, and sanitize anything that comes in contact with your baby's mouth or your breasts. Look up thrush on Kellymom.com for a complete list of remedies and procedures.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)