Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New bf mom!

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 9:33 PM
  • 6 Replies
Hi everyone! This is my first time on here I am a first time mom and have a 6 week old little boy. I have been bf him from day one and had to pump immediately because he was in the NICU. So I have been nursing him and pumping twice a day (morning and night)....my supply is fine...I am pumping around 8 oz a day. I only give him a bottle at night to make sure he is getting a full amount (4 oz or so) to fall asleep. I do enjoy bf but am starting to get stressed and am thinking about supplementing. My hubby and I want to go away for one night and I'm already stressing thinking if I'll have enough pumped to give him enough bottles for the night and the fact that I'll have to pump while I'm gone. Ugh. Any words of wisdom or thoughts? No judgements please. Again, I'm a first time mom just trying to see what I can do!
by on Jul. 30, 2014 at 9:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:11 PM
Hello mama! Welcome to the group :)

Why are yoy considering supplimenting? What are you stressing about?

My first suggestion is to stop the bottles and pumping as well as bottles. There isnt a need and it can cause nipple confusion, latch issues and flow preferences. If you are away than i recommend paces bottle feedings of no more than 2 ounces. 4 ounces in.a sitting is too.much and will stretch out his tummy.

Second, while your supply is still being establish I would continue nursing on demand and not leave your baby. Wait a bit longer to plan a vacation without your baby, believe me, time flies by so incredibly fast!

Also, waking at night is normal and good. It helps actually prevent SIDS.
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:26 PM
Welcome to you and your little one! I can't think of anything to add to Julia's wisdom there above :-)
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:39 PM
First of all, stop the bottle at night. It's too big, it's overstretching his stomach, and will mess with your supply. You can't make him sleep any more at night than his particular stage of development will allow. He needs to nurse on demand, and night waking is protection against SIDS.

If you'd like to go out for an evening, he only needs 1-1.25 ounces per hour of separation fed in 2-3 ounce portions every 2-3 hours. Always use the slowest flow newborn nipple, baby held in sitting position, bottle parallel to the floor, baby burped after every ounce.

I read no need for supplementation. Diaper count tells you what he is getting. You want 6-8 changes every 24 hours with at least two quarter sized poops. Anything bigger than a quarter or extra wet counts as two diapers.

Your milk, designed especially for your baby, is meant to be digested quickly. Human babies are meant to be close to their mothers and nursing frequently.

Look up "101 Reasons to Breastfeed" and have your husband read it as well.
Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:49 PM

I agree with the 3 above me. I also would never leave my babies that early.  They're too little and need their mother.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Luvmy2babies22
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 11:02 PM
I also agree on stopping the night bottle. 4oz is a huge feeding for a baby that age.

However, I'm not one to poo poo you taking a night away. 6w is a little young for my preference though. With that said, I needed to be away from my baby when he was 7w old for about 7 hours and we all survived. I didn't pump at all in that time and my supply was and is fine.

Welcome and congrats!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Gina on Jul. 30, 2014 at 11:33 PM

How soon are you talking about going away? It can be done; I used to travel for ten days at a time for business. HOWEVER, there were some things I had to be very careful about.

1. A traveling mom MUST pump every two hours. MUST. I even pumped under a blanket on a tranAtlantic flight!

2. No bottles when mom is present; this is to protect your supply and discourage nipple preference.

I would not travel till the six week growth spurt is past, unless it was to have lifesaving surgery. And I should warn you that once baby's arrived, "just us" holidays tend to lose their appeal because that new little person is just SO fascinating! We did ONE of those vacations and have never done one since (although now that ours is a teenager he's not so much fascnating as frustrating).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)