Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Mourning the end of our nursing jouney

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2014 at 2:06 PM
  • 12 Replies

Mobile Photo

My son is just shy of 18 months. He has gradually been dropping nursing sessions until he would only nurse first thing in the morning. Now he refuses that as well. My goal was to nurse until he self weaned and I have reached that goal. I am still so sad. We had a great run though.

Anyone else have a toddler self wean at this age or earlier? It seems young to me, but perhaps not.

Note: my son has never "asked" to nurse, not even once. I continued to offer and offer throughout the day but it seems he is done.
by on Jul. 31, 2014 at 2:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 2:39 PM
I know, it's bittersweet, isn't it? Neither of mine weaned this early, but all children are different. He looks like a well-adjusted, independent young man! :-)
Loveiskind08
by New Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 2:40 PM

My daughter is 12.5 months, and she is down to nursing 3-4 times daily. Though I understand it's part of them growing up, I feel for ya. It's had to imagine in a few months my daughter will likely be doing the same. 

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Jul. 31, 2014 at 2:42 PM
When my kids weaned I made sure to get lots of cuddle time in with them :) it is very bittersweet!
LadyBugMom09
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 3:01 PM
I weaned my DD at 16 mos because everyone said it was time (shakes fist in the air) if I had known then....

My DS1 stopped nursing at 12 mos because I got pregnant and my milk stopped :'(

My DS2 is 10 mos and I'm doing my hardest to get him till 2 years. **Fingers crossed**
Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 3:55 PM

MY youngest nursed 18 months and weaned.  But I am pregnant.  He nursed 22 weeks of my pregnancy.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Analugojana
by on Jul. 31, 2014 at 4:09 PM

He's a cutie pie! Congratulations on your journey. I can only imagine the feeling. Kids can be so different. Mine is 21 months old and she would nurse the whole day if she could..and I love it.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Jul. 31, 2014 at 7:27 PM

Mine are determined demanding lil nursers! Mine wean after age 3, but 18 month is not unheard of.  Youve done wesome momma.

KarenM42
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 7:28 PM
Thanks. I needed to hear that.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Mine are determined demanding lil nursers! Mine wean after age 3, but 18 month is not unheard of.  Youve done wesome momma.

KarenM42
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2014 at 11:26 PM
Bump
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Jul. 31, 2014 at 11:56 PM

You've done great. He's not the earliest true self weaner I've seen.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)