Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

World Breastfeeding Week Celebration: Share Your Story

Posted by on Aug. 1, 2014 at 8:09 AM
  • 108 Replies

We are celebrating World Breastfeeding Week here on CafeMom and the Breastfeeding Moms group! A week dedicated to promoting breastfeeding and to celebrate all breastfeeding moms. 

Share your breastfeeding stories with us. Are you currently breastfeeding? How long were you able to breastfeed? Share with us your obstacles and/or success stories.

We want to hear all about it!

breastfeeding

Find links to other celebration posts here: 
Show Off Your Kids!
Your Inspiration 
Show Off Your Family! 

by on Aug. 1, 2014 at 8:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kimyaber
by New Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 8:53 AM
Happy World Breastfeeding Week! I am currently breastfeeding and have been for close to six months now. My baby boy will be six months in a couple of weeks. It was hard at first but it does get easier. It's hard to believe that when people tell you this but it does. You just have to keep at it if you can. I think my biggest obstacle was getting help in the hospital at first. My baby was born on the weekend and they didn't have a lactation consultant there the day he was born. Looking back I wish I had sought help from an outside lactation consultant. I made it though and I am happy we have gotten this far. It's nice to celebrate world breastfeeding week!
KREX0914
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 9:13 AM
1 mom liked this

I had no education on breastfeeding with my first and her pediatrician kept telling me how much formula would help Ellie's breathing problems ... it didn't. And weaning from the bottle was a nightmare!

I'm breastfeeding my 3 month old, Linley, now. It was hard while she was in the NICU and in her body cast. I kept getting told to give in to formula because it would be easier to feed her in a cast with a bottle. I even lied to her pediatrician and told him I was supplementing when I wasn't (because he just wouldn't let it go) to which he responded "it's no wonder she is growing so well!". But I am so glad I stuck with solely breastfeeding! She is out of her cast, recovered from surgery and is eating like a champ! I'm about to go back to work, so I have worries about keeping up my supply, but I'm going to stick with it as long as I can!

On a related note, yesterday I saw a mural in the local courthouse of an American Indian family, with the mother breastfeeding an infant. It made me smile.

hillmom
by New Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 9:13 AM
I have now been breastfeeding and/or pregnant for 8 years!

Before my first was born, I had only planned to nurse for a few months. That was the way it had been in my family, if baby was breastfeed at all. After she was born, I really started diving into the research. The more I read the longer my goal became. She weaned about 3 months in to my second pregnancy at over 2 years old. My sin nursed until some time during the first trimester with my third pregnancy (bummed we didn't make 2 year, but he was close).

My first real nursing struggle came with our third child. Granted I'd survived thrush with my second and mastitis with both the older two, but nothing like our third baby. It wasn't long after she was born, I figured something was wrong. My baby started screaming all day long, her poor tummy just hurt. At one point, I was standing in my kitchen crying andstarving, wanting to eat so bad. Yet I didn't dare in fear of hurting my baby. With the elimination diet and the support of my wonderful husband (he made sure I was eating and helped me find safe foods) we discovered gluten, dairy and eggs were the problem.

After 6 months her digestive system was much calmer, and I was able to add dairy and eggs back to my diet. In that journey, we also found everyone in the family has a negative reaction to gluten. It is now not a normal part of our diets (and when we slip, we all feel it, big time).

She will be 2 in the 8th,and I wish she was still nursing. However she weaned during the first trimester of my current pregnancy, and our last baby.
Seximama23
by Silver Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 9:25 AM
With my first son I EBF for 3 months then I got mastitis (and being a new mom I didnt know better) I switched to formula because i was told the medication wasnt a breastfeeding safe one.
He is now 6 years.
My 6 month old still comfort nurses from time to time but I stopped EBF him because he is tongue tied and after 4 months my supply regulated to much and he was having a hard time nursing..he would get angry and scream.
If I could I would go back to breastfeeding him but I dont have the support. But I am happy to say both my babies got rhe best start in life.
MaryJarrett
by Mary on Aug. 1, 2014 at 9:31 AM
Yay!!! It's that time again!

My story?

Short and sweet. My mom breastfed all 5 of us. It was just normal, you had a baby, you fed the baby. So there was no doubt in my mind I would breastfeed. That was my intro into the bf world.

My first was born Sept 2008, I nursed her through PPP, upper lip tie, OAL, OS, clogged ducts, thrush, pregnancy, working, tandem until she was just over 4 yrs old.

My second was born April 2010, still nursing my first, nursed her for 2.5 years through OAL,OS, clogged ducts, low weight gain, thrush, working 2 jobs, and two miscarriages which ultimately caused her to stop nursing.

My third, born Oct 2013, is currently nursing, still have my trusty OAL and is, but other issues...yet... He was ecologically breastfed until 9 months then started baby led, just like my first two. He'll nurse until he decides to wean. :)
Kellileanne
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 9:40 AM
1 mom liked this
With my first we made it to 10 weeks and I dried up. Between the stress of her being so small (iugr baby, 4lbs15oz at birth, lots of trouble latching because her mouth was so small, 5 day nicu stay) and not knowing how much she was getting and then needing to return to work it was too much.
With my second we started out good and then when she was 5 days old I was readmitted to the hospital and was there for two days to get my blood pressure regulated. All the meds they put me on I couldn't nurse for a full week. But, it took about 2 weeks to get back to ebf (caught my husband giving her formula a couple of times but luckily he stopped. We are now at 2yrs1week! I wanted to wean at a year and well, time got away from me.
smurfy88
by Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 10:53 AM
I have been breastfeeding my DS for 13 days now , with my DD I breastfed for 2 months before stopping. I thought my supply was dropping with her and then my apartment burned down and I was young with no support or resources so I just switched to formula. This time my goal is to make it to a year and I'm hoping I'll start to enjoy it along the way. Other moms talk about the bond they feel while breastfeeding, but at this point I just feel tied down. It's still really early though so hopefully with time it will become less of a chore and more of an enjoyment.
stacy2607
by Silver Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 11:24 AM
2 moms liked this

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

I have 10 children, I formula fed my first 8, mainly because I didn't know much about breastfeeding and always had that worry about how will I know if their getting enough, and what if I eat something wrong..just things like that.. but I know now that you go by diaper count and u can pretty much eat whatever unless you see reaction in baby.. it makes me sad that I didn't do .ore research and nurse them all :(

my first breastfeeding experience story was this..

With my now 2 yr old daughter Aubrey, I started off formula feeding.. at around a week old, she started having issues with having gas, belly aches and not pooping.. After trying so many different formulas, nothing was helping, so at around 3 weeks, since I was still producing milk I decided to start breastfeeding her.

While breastfeeding, she was not gaining weight like she should and Dr's even suggested that I supplement with formula and that I take her to children's hospital for testing.. I went with my mother's instinct and decided i was not gonna use formula and that she didn't need to go get poked and proded just to find out nothing was wrong.. she was nursing well, happy ,meeting all her milestones, and had plenty of wet and dirty diapers.. I just decided to nurse like crazy, every little cue I had her at my breast.. she finally did start to gain and did well..she nursed from 3 weeks old until she was 15 months old with no formula at all..and she's now 2 1/2 perfectly healthy and 30lbs.

and I am currently nursing my new baby girl Ariana, I started nursing her from birth, she latched on great.. she will be 6 months old on the 9th and is ebf.. she has never had even a drop of formula or a pumped bottle, all her feedings have been straight from mama's tap.. she's a great little nursling☺, I don't see signs of stopping anytime soon. ☺

here are some pics. .
1st one of how tiny Aubrey was at 9 months old but I still didn't give in to formula and she still ended up a good size healthy 30lb 2 1/2 yr old. Which you see in the 2nd pic..
3rd pic is my little nursling Ariana at birth
4th
Ariana now

kcangel63
by Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 11:26 AM
I've been breastfeeding for the last 7 1/2 years, with only a month off per pregnancy for the last 5 pregnancies.
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Aug. 1, 2014 at 11:30 AM
Yay for World Breastfeeding week!
I have been nursing for almost 8 years (with maybe a month.or two break in between somewhere. I have four kids, the youngest is 11 months, oldest will br 8 in october. We have dealt with latch issues, jaundice, mastitis, clogged milk ducts, thrush, nursing aversions and ties. I absolutely love my breastfeeding relationship with my kiddos! I love the milk commas, the smiles while.nursing, the way nursing instantly calms an overwelmed child, the attachment :) i am very blessed!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN