Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Ok I need some extra brain power right now to come up with a solution

Posted by on Aug. 1, 2014 at 1:56 AM
  • 16 Replies

When I had an oversupply my son would nurse then go right to sleep, sometimes I would have to give him his paci so he would settle(but that was rare!). Once my supply evened out though, he stopped doing that and it has progressively gotten worse. It started with him sleeping 4-6 hours starting around 4 weeks old then every 2 hours(waking every 2 hours about twice during the morning before he was up for good) and going down without a fight. He would nurse to sleep or close to it and just conk out. Then he began waking up more frequently around 7 weeks old when my oversupply vanished(and began fussing more overall through the day), so he was waking about every 3-4 hours with 3-4 every 2 hours in the early morning. Then progressively it has been more like 3 hours for the first stretch, then 2 hours, 2 hours, and then every hour after that until I give up and wake up or just lay there awake the rest of the morning until my older two get up. I have been puttng him in his crib(just feet away from my bed) for the first stretch since he was 3 weeks and would no longer sleep in his rocker, and then I bring him to bed to attempt getting more sleep. But lately he is waking so often I can't even fall asleep good before he wakes again... Or he goes almost immediately back to sleep and does the comfort nurse(which keeps me up because it irritates me-not in a painful way) and then starts screaming when I take him off or if I move around to get comfy. It always seems to get worse around period time which makes us both cranky, because he fights nursing all day AND night at that point and then fights sleeping too... And my patience goes right out the window between the pain of my period and all this(not to mention the hormones- oh God the hormones).

I'm wondering if I should start trying to get him to sleep in his crib more or if I should work on getting him to go back to sleep without the boob first. Any ideas or input is welcomed. I can't do CIO... It would wake up my other kids and DH, and I just can't handle him crying like that lol. But I can't get him to sleep very often without the boob in his mouth, because NOTHING else will calm him if that's what he wants. The one time I have tried to get him to go back to sleep without it, he wined and fussed and screamed(without tears) and rolled around and kicked for almost an hour. Should I just keep doing that and sacrifice my sleep every time he wakes or try to let him nurse first and if he goes right to comfort nursing then do it?

He will be 6 months on the 13th. I have no idea how big he is since we have had issues getting his BC and haven't been able to see the doc. No solids yet other than a little taste here and there. No teeth or other symptoms of teething. I would say he makes plenty of wets everyday and poops about once a week, so I think he's getting enough. I'm just worried he's not sleeping enough since he really doesn't get more than 30-45 minuts naps about 3 times a day(his big brothers wake him up being loud).  

SAHM to 3 beautiful boys, military wife of 5 years, urban Virginia born and raised, country central North Carolina replanted, USMC sent to Okinawa for 3 years(and counting), running obese mama(for now!), potty-mouthed, left- leaning moderate, kind- hearted, rock and metal lovin' type of woman.
by on Aug. 1, 2014 at 1:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hismommy2010
by on Aug. 1, 2014 at 2:02 AM
Sounds like cluster feeding. They do this at growth spurts to get ur supply up since hes growing he needs more.
Mrs.Pedro
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 2:33 AM

I thought so too at first, but it's been about 2 months of how it is now with just one day a week max where he sleeps well at night(and he's barely grown in the last 2-3 months as well).

Quoting hismommy2010: Sounds like cluster feeding. They do this at growth spurts to get ur supply up since hes growing he needs more.

SAHM to 3 beautiful boys, military wife of 5 years, urban Virginia born and raised, country central North Carolina replanted, USMC sent to Okinawa for 3 years(and counting), running obese mama(for now!), potty-mouthed, left- leaning moderate, kind- hearted, rock and metal lovin' type of woman.
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Aug. 1, 2014 at 2:33 AM

Sorry, I have no advice, this seems pretty typical to me, this is why I bed-share. The constant need to be on the breast irritated me too, but eventually I got too tired to care, lol.

Neither of my boys napped at all after they were about 3 months, so even though they are small, 3 naps seems like plenty to me. As long as your son is growing and making diaper count, I wouldn't be too concerned.

Mrs.Pedro
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 2:44 AM

I was doing that for awhile, and was able to sleep through it for awhile... But now I can't sleep through it. He starts fussing and can't relatch himself or if he stays asleep and I do too, I wake up in pain from being on my side and have as soon as I roll onto my tummy he's awake and fussing again. I say a prayer everytime he's done that I can unlatch or roll onto my belly without him waking lol. Sad but true. And 99% of the time he still ends up waking up lol. With that happening I'm only getting about an hour of sleep between feedings. I also usually can't sleep if he goes immediately to comfort nursing... The annoying tickle is too much if I'm not asleep when it starts. It's a vicious cycle lol. 

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy:

Sorry, I have no advice, this seems pretty typical to me, this is why I bed-share. The constant need to be on the breast irritated me too, but eventually I got too tired to care, lol.

Neither of my boys napped at all after they were about 3 months, so even though they are small, 3 naps seems like plenty to me. As long as your son is growing and making diaper count, I wouldn't be too concerned.

Analugojana
by on Aug. 1, 2014 at 7:22 AM
That's exactly what both my daughters have been like, the first being ff though! It does get better but until at least one year old I would change nothing. I know it's exhausting but I promise you, you'll survive. Sleep is overrated :)
mamaelle88
by Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 7:31 AM
I would nurse him and let him fall asleep. That might be why you don't have an over supply anymore.

My daughter now is only 2 months but she falls asleep after 15 mins on one boob but I tickle the feet to make her get latched to the other boob and then I pump after she falls asleep on that one. She usually is out for 6 hours at night time when I do this. During the day she nurses every 4 hours... but still sleeps quite a lot.

My son I nursed him up to 5 months. But I eventually had to stop breast feeding him. Seemed his cranky ways was an upset stomach due to my own milk intake and he was having a sensitivity to the nilk... ended up having GERD and was prescribed medication but by that time trying to figure stuff out, I dried up because I wasn't nursing often.. but the medicine helped..

Nurse often and nurse when he is cranky...

schultzal
by Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 7:36 AM
I have no advice, I just wanted to say that I know how hard it is. My daughter was the same way, and it isn't much better now, at 21 months. :-/
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 7:58 AM
I would try to nurse more during the day, especially in the evening leading up to bedtime. He may be napping too much during the day. He is, of course, at prime growth spurt time and also about to become very mobile. Teething pain also starts long before any come through, and is worse at night. Hyland's homeopathic teething tablets, amber teething necklaces, raw sweet onion rubbed on the gums and infant ibuprofen can be used.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Aug. 1, 2014 at 9:21 AM

Quoting Mrs.Pedro:

When I had an oversupply my son would nurse then go right to sleep,

Consider that an extgremely temporary condition. **grin**

sometimes I would have to give him his paci so he would settle(but that was rare!). Once my supply evened out though, he stopped doing that and it has progressively gotten worse. It started with him sleeping 4-6 hours starting around 4 weeks old then every 2 hours(waking every 2 hours about twice during the morning before he was up for good) and going down without a fight. He would nurse to sleep or close to it and just conk out. Then he began waking up more frequently around 7 weeks old when my oversupply vanished

More like regulated.

(and began fussing more overall through the day), so he was waking about every 3-4 hours with 3-4 every 2 hours in the early morning.

Normal.

Then progressively it has been more like 3 hours for the first stretch, then 2 hours, 2 hours, and then every hour after that until I give up and wake up or just lay there awake the rest of the morning until my older two get up.

Unfortunately, normal too. There is a fix... time!

I have been puttng him in his crib(just feet away from my bed) for the first stretch since he was 3 weeks and would no longer sleep in his rocker, and then I bring him to bed to attempt getting more sleep. But lately he is waking so often I can't even fall asleep good before he wakes again... Or he goes almost immediately back to sleep and does the comfort nurse(which keeps me up because it irritates me-not in a painful way) and then starts screaming when I take him off or if I move around to get comfy. It always seems to get worse around period time which makes us both cranky, because he fights nursing all day AND night at that point and then fights sleeping too... And my patience goes right out the window between the pain of my period and all this(not to mention the hormones- oh God the hormones).

I'm wondering if I should start trying to get him to sleep in his crib more or if I should work on getting him to go back to sleep without the boob first.

Neither, I'm afraid. Just get up when you'd normally be lying awake. Really. Shift what you've been doing during the day that keeps you from resting (silly things like cleaning, y'know?) DO it suring that period and then later in the day when baby naps, you nap too.

I'm gonna give you a shock... if the house is childproofed, even your three year old can do without your constant attentionf or about an hour. **smile** It's how our moms (or grandmothers in some cases) raised us. My mom never did understand moms who didn't leve the kids to their play without adult supervision for at least an hour or two a day.

Any ideas or input is welcomed. I can't do CIO... It would wake up my other kids and DH, and I just can't handle him crying like that lol. But I can't get him to sleep very often without the boob in his mouth,

Don't try!!!! It's WAY too early to expect anything else yet.

because NOTHING else will calm him if that's what he wants. The one time I have tried to get him to go back to sleep without it, he wined and fussed and screamed(without tears) and rolled around and kicked for almost an hour. Should I just keep doing that and sacrifice my sleep every time he wakes or try to let him nurse first and if he goes right to comfort nursing then do it?

He will be 6 months on the 13th. I have no idea how big he is since we have had issues getting his BC and haven't been able to see the doc. No solids yet other than a little taste here and there. No teeth or other symptoms of teething. I would say he makes plenty of wets everyday and poops about once a week, so I think he's getting enough. I'm just worried he's not sleeping enough since he really doesn't get more than 30-45 minuts naps about 3 times a day(his big brothers wake him up being loud).  

They know how much sleep they need, and it's often less than the experts claim. He sounds 100% normal. And this will change with time. I will also agree he's probably gfetting TOO MUCH daytime sleep. We all only need so much sleep, and if you take it at one time you won't take it at another

So try this: Cut ONE nap today. See how he sleeps tonight. If you see improvement over the next few days, then you can consider leaving the other two, or try cutting another nap.

Three naps sounds like a LOT of sleep to me. 

Mrs.Pedro
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 9:52 AM

Yeahhhh. My home isn't childproof by any means of the word. There's not really any way to do that. When it was just my oldest I would put him in his room to take a nap while he played(and longer if he fell asleep too!), but neither one will do that now. And they both know how to unlock and open windows, climb furniture and appliances, dig around in my drawers etc. etc. I literally have no means to nap or even rest during the day. I have nobody to help with chores, and as it is my house is covered in crumbs most of the day with doing the bare minimum lol... And I DO mean BARE minimum lol. The first time he wakes up it's early in the morning... Like 3am. There's noise ordinance here that we can't be loud before 6am and not after 10pm weeknights and 11pm weekends, so doing my chores then wouldn't work(not to mention my older two boys sleep in the living room with DH which is where most of my chores would have to be done). I really am not overly worried with chores since I have a weekly schedule so I only have about 1 chore a day then the regular upkeep after meals(table, chairs and floor around the dining area) and as needed in the bathroom or cleaning up spills. There's no way to do any less hahaha. I'm also about to start online school which will have to be done at night most likely since I am constantly dealing with my other two all day and doing my best to keep the baby entertained at the same time. I will try to keep him up during the day, but he doesn't really have "naps"... He just nurses and either sleeps in my arms or goes t his swing in the main living area and sleeps until I have to yell at one of my others to stop doing something or until they do something loud enough to wake him. They aren't set times, and I'm likely way off on the number of times as well as how long he sleeps for those naps. I can tell at night he wants to sleep, because his eyes stay closed the whole time even when fussing... But not without the boob. During the day his fingers and paci keep him calm, but at night he wants to keep the ninnie in his mouth now and I can't handle that.   

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting Mrs.Pedro:

When I had an oversupply my son would nurse then go right to sleep,

Consider that an extgremely temporary condition. **grin**

sometimes I would have to give him his paci so he would settle(but that was rare!). Once my supply evened out though, he stopped doing that and it has progressively gotten worse. It started with him sleeping 4-6 hours starting around 4 weeks old then every 2 hours(waking every 2 hours about twice during the morning before he was up for good) and going down without a fight. He would nurse to sleep or close to it and just conk out. Then he began waking up more frequently around 7 weeks old when my oversupply vanished

More like regulated.

(and began fussing more overall through the day), so he was waking about every 3-4 hours with 3-4 every 2 hours in the early morning.

Normal.

Then progressively it has been more like 3 hours for the first stretch, then 2 hours, 2 hours, and then every hour after that until I give up and wake up or just lay there awake the rest of the morning until my older two get up.

Unfortunately, normal too. There is a fix... time!

I have been puttng him in his crib(just feet away from my bed) for the first stretch since he was 3 weeks and would no longer sleep in his rocker, and then I bring him to bed to attempt getting more sleep. But lately he is waking so often I can't even fall asleep good before he wakes again... Or he goes almost immediately back to sleep and does the comfort nurse(which keeps me up because it irritates me-not in a painful way) and then starts screaming when I take him off or if I move around to get comfy. It always seems to get worse around period time which makes us both cranky, because he fights nursing all day AND night at that point and then fights sleeping too... And my patience goes right out the window between the pain of my period and all this(not to mention the hormones- oh God the hormones).

I'm wondering if I should start trying to get him to sleep in his crib more or if I should work on getting him to go back to sleep without the boob first.

Neither, I'm afraid. Just get up when you'd normally be lying awake. Really. Shift what you've been doing during the day that keeps you from resting (silly things like cleaning, y'know?) DO it suring that period and then later in the day when baby naps, you nap too.

I'm gonna give you a shock... if the house is childproofed, even your three year old can do without your constant attentionf or about an hour. **smile** It's how our moms (or grandmothers in some cases) raised us. My mom never did understand moms who didn't leve the kids to their play without adult supervision for at least an hour or two a day.

Any ideas or input is welcomed. I can't do CIO... It would wake up my other kids and DH, and I just can't handle him crying like that lol. But I can't get him to sleep very often without the boob in his mouth,

Don't try!!!! It's WAY too early to expect anything else yet.

because NOTHING else will calm him if that's what he wants. The one time I have tried to get him to go back to sleep without it, he wined and fussed and screamed(without tears) and rolled around and kicked for almost an hour. Should I just keep doing that and sacrifice my sleep every time he wakes or try to let him nurse first and if he goes right to comfort nursing then do it?

They know how much sleep they need, and it's often less than the experts claim. He sounds 100% normal. And this will change with time. I will also agree he's probably gfetting TOO MUCH daytime sleep. We all only need so much sleep, and if you take it at one time you won't take it at another

So try this: Cut ONE nap today. See how he sleeps tonight. If you see improvement over the next few days, then you can consider leaving the other two, or try cutting another nap.

Three naps sounds like a LOT of sleep to me. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN