Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Pumping responsiveness?

Posted by on Aug. 1, 2014 at 5:08 PM
  • 10 Replies

I can hardly get anything out of my Hygeia Q. After two pumpings I barely get one ounce total. I know there is still tons of milk in there because I can express with my hands even after nothing else is coming out from the pump. My breasts hurt because they are full, Linley isn't eating much right now and my pump isn't pumping.

Thoughts?

by on Aug. 1, 2014 at 5:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jjchick75
by Silver Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 6:30 PM
Hand express just enough to be comfortable. Pumping is really only going to make it worse.
KREX0914
by Bronze Member on Aug. 1, 2014 at 6:49 PM

But I have to get the pump to work because I start work in two weeks :( 

Quoting jjchick75: Hand express just enough to be comfortable. Pumping is really only going to make it worse.

LeapBaby123
by Kathleen on Aug. 1, 2014 at 8:09 PM
1 mom liked this
Some women just don't respond to pumps :( Does it "feel" like it's working? Are the membranes intact? Are you using the correct size flange?
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Aug. 2, 2014 at 12:53 AM

You can check to see if you have the right size breast shields.

You only need enough for one day back... eight hour day, 8-10 ounces.

polkaspots
by Gold Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 2:28 AM
Start pumping once every morning, as early as possible. Check that your pump is fitting you properly.
Pumping once every morning will get you more than you need to start working again and it will help your body respond better to the pump. Having it part of your routine makes it harder to forget it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KREX0914
by Bronze Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 8:50 AM
I guess I'm more worried that if I'm not responding well to it at home, what if it doesn't work at work and I end with nothing to feed her?

Quoting gdiamante:

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Aug. 2, 2014 at 12:21 PM

WHile some women NEVER respond well to a pump, your response is well within the norm and I wouldn't worry about being at work. Seriously. When home I would pump maybe half an ounce a session, and I had no issues with having enough at work. AM session 3 ounces, noon 2, PM 1 ounce. I added one pump per morning at home and that was it there wasn't any more... and he was fine. I was gone ten hour days, and he often didn't get ten ounces in that time but never never had a problem... didn't finish that much when it was available. And he was considered large!

One thing that is VITAL... when you are nursing at home in the mornings, you MUST pump too. Seven days a week. Skip showering before you skip this.

Quoting KREX0914: I guess I'm more worried that if I'm not responding well to it at home, what if it doesn't work at work and I end with nothing to feed her?
Quoting gdiamante:

Addis_HottMamma
by New Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 12:01 AM
I'm pumping also n I feel like I don't get all the milk out I want to know what kind of pumps work better I might try switching. Let me know what u all think please n thank u
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Aug. 3, 2014 at 2:36 PM

Let's start here: What you want mayt not be a reasonable expectation.

Normal pump output is half an ounce to two ounces per session. More than two ounces gets into "oversupply" territory and that's actually not a good place to be.

We need the following answers from you to really be helpful:

1. What pump are you using?
  2. How often are you pumping?
  3. Are you ONLY pumping or are you nursing and pumping?
  4. Will you be going back to work?

Some "blanket" recommendations that apply in all cases: 

• Hygeia and Ameda are our top picks for double electric pumps. Medela is next but ranks lower because it is an "open-system" pump, and milk can get in the works.
  • Medela and Avent both make good manual pumps.
  • AVOID: Evenflo, First Years, Gerber, Playtex. SOME moms have good luck with them, but they're really lemons in the pump world.
Quoting Addis_HottMamma: I'm pumping also n I feel like I don't get all the milk out I want to know what kind of pumps work better I might try switching. Let me know what u all think please n thank u

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Aug. 3, 2014 at 4:50 PM

I had to work toget response..meaning pumping the same time everyday for weeks BUT for sure check horn size and valves too.  I found I pumped more at work because my body wanted to nurse baby but that wasnt an option.  WHen at home I never went long enough between nursings except FIRST thing in the morning to get muh of anything

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN