Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Too much weight gain?

Posted by on Aug. 2, 2014 at 12:36 PM
  • 12 Replies
My baby is 4 weeks old. He was born at 8lbs 6 oz 21.25 inches long. The first few days he lost down to 7lbs 9oz and the doc was concerned but when my milk came in he caught up with a vengeance! At his 2 week appointment he was 9lbs 7 oz. I weighed him today on my home scale (I know it's not going to be nearly as accurate) and he's around 11lbs. He's exclusively breastfeeding. Is that kind of weight gain normal in the first month for ebf babies?? It seems like a lot!
by on Aug. 2, 2014 at 12:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 12:46 PM

My babies weight gain was tremendous in the first 6 months because of my oversupply. After 6 months it evened out.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

MJones23
by Meghan on Aug. 2, 2014 at 1:53 PM

Both of my girls weighed over 8 lbs @ birth (8.42 and 8.7 lbs) and both weighed 11.5 lbs at 3.5 weeks old. My youngest is currently pushing 15 lbs at 11 weeks. They are both healthy. Your LO sounds perfectly healthy and normal to me!

Seximama23
by Silver Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 2:26 PM
My son went from lowest weight of 5 lbs 10 oz to 6 lbs 9 oz by 3 days old..by 3 weeks he was 9 lbs
Rosehawk
by on Aug. 2, 2014 at 2:45 PM

I think so.

My baby is 2 months old. At her appointment she was 11lbs (8lbs 1oz at birth) and 22.75 inches (19 at birth). She's the smallest of my babies, when it comes to weight gain. She's right around the 50% for height and weight. Her brother was 95+% and her sister was 90+%.

Cleo07
by Bronze Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 3:01 PM
It's fine as long as your baby can handle it (ie reflux etc).

Just be prepared for a slowdown at the 6-9 month mark. Most pediatricians start to get freaked out when the gain slows and may try to get you to supplement needlessly. At that point, breastfed babies who gained rapidly due to oversupply will settle into their natural growth curve. My kids typically put on less than a pound from the nine month mark on until their twos. But they had tripled their weight in five months so obviously they couldn't continue to gain at that rate.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 5:19 PM
This.

I had a massive oversupply my little guy was 20llbs at 6 months. He then slowed down a lot because he became mobile and he's now only 29lbs at 18 months

Quoting Cleo07: It's fine as long as your baby can handle it (ie reflux etc).

Just be prepared for a slowdown at the 6-9 month mark. Most pediatricians start to get freaked out when the gain slows and may try to get you to supplement needlessly. At that point, breastfed babies who gained rapidly due to oversupply will settle into their natural growth curve. My kids typically put on less than a pound from the nine month mark on until their twos. But they had tripled their weight in five months so obviously they couldn't continue to gain at that rate.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Aug. 2, 2014 at 6:00 PM
As long as it's coming straight from the tap, you cannot overfeed a breastfed baby. As your supply regulates, so will the rate of gain. You're both doing splendidly! :-)
Georgie2
by Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 10:00 AM
My Little Guy has been in the 80-90's on the percentile charts through his 9 month check up. By 9 months his weight gain had started to slow though. My ODS was the same until about 18 months. He slowed way down about then.
sweetsavannah10
by Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 10:02 AM
My nephew went from 6.6 to 8.6 in 2 weeks. He's a little chunk. I say it sounds perfect
scribbles1114
by Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 11:28 AM

My daughter's ped told me smaller babies tend to gain much fast than larger babies I'm inclined to believe her. My daughter weighed 9lbs11oz at birth and now weighs 12lbs13oz at 9 weeks, my son(3) on the other hand weighed 7lbs14oz at birth and weighed 16 pounds at the same age.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN