Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Pumping.

Posted by on Aug. 3, 2014 at 12:30 AM
  • 13 Replies
I am ebf my four week old daughter, but I want to start pumping so I can have some time to myself. I want to have a supply so I can go to hair appointments, doctor appointments, date nights with my husband, letting my hubby and family feed her, or work out without having to have her tied to my breasts. I'm not in any rush or anything, but I want information for when I start. I am feeding from one breast for two hours due to a strong let down and she kind of grazes during the day, but at night she eats well and sleeps from 12 pm to about 6 am. Sometimes, not always. So... Would it be a good plan to feed from the breast she isn't feeding from? Or just like once a day until I find a natural rhythm for it? Any help would be helpful.
by on Aug. 3, 2014 at 12:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shortyali
by Alicia on Aug. 3, 2014 at 12:38 AM
If you only need to pump to cover appts and date nights then pump once a day starting about a week before the event. You only need about 1-1.25ozs per hour you will be gone given in 2-3oz bottles with the slowest flow nipple you can find. Make sure and take your pump with you wherever you go so you can pump for any missed feedings. Same goes if someone else is giving a bottle just because. You need to pump for that missed feeding to maintain your supply.
mollymcleod
by Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 12:40 AM
Thanks! I appreciate the advice. I don't want to diminish my actual supply. 😁

Quoting shortyali: If you only need to pump to cover appts and date nights then pump once a day starting about a week before the event. You only need about 1-1.25ozs per hour you will be gone given in 2-3oz bottles with the slowest flow nipple you can find. Make sure and take your pump with you wherever you go so you can pump for any missed feedings. Same goes if someone else is giving a bottle just because. You need to pump for that missed feeding to maintain your supply.
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 12:41 AM
I'd say pump in the mornings when you know you have something coming up. I pump every morning because I work.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 4:25 AM
Also, if you nurse right before you leave and as soon as you get back, you might not need to leave anything if you're not gone for more than three hours.
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Aug. 3, 2014 at 8:28 AM
This has worked for me. I've had 4 ebf babies who never had bottles ever and I just nursed before I left the house and depending on the age of the baby, was gone 2-4 hours.

Quoting MusherMaggie: Also, if you nurse right before you leave and as soon as you get back, you might not need to leave anything if you're not gone for more than three hours.
Addis_HottMamma
by New Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 9:26 AM

I'm pumping but I don't feel like it's getting all the milk out my boobs still hurt after I get done n I don't get more then 2 oz out so I have to wait for a while then pump again wanted to know what other pumps that u have tried n that u like that works better thank you

iSMILEheCRIES
by Bronze Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 9:38 AM
I am building a future stash for medical reasons and it found what works best for me is pumping first thing in the morning. I pump one side for about 5 minutes to get letdown and then switch and pump the other boob til dry. And feed baby from the 5 minute boob. Reason for the 5 min boob it catch all that good letdown and then milk won't flow as fast when baby nurses. Good luck. Personally I doubt you ever need pumped milk for things like you described-just nurse before you leave and when you get back and that gives you about three hours- but I answered what you asked.
kajira
by Silver Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 9:53 AM

I've been exlusively pumping for 15 weeks, my suggestion? pump one side while she nurses the other, date/time the bag of milk and store it in a deep freezer. You may not ever need the milk if your gone for less then 3-4 hours.. as you can just nurse before/after... 

Be warned, that not all breastfed babies will take a bottle either.

shortyali
by Alicia on Aug. 3, 2014 at 10:15 AM

What pump are you using? Is it fitted for you correctly? 2oz is the high end of normal for both breasts combined for a missed feed.

Quoting Addis_HottMamma:

I'm pumping but I don't feel like it's getting all the milk out my boobs still hurt after I get done n I don't get more then 2 oz out so I have to wait for a while then pump again wanted to know what other pumps that u have tried n that u like that works better thank you

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
Addis_HottMamma
by New Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 2:09 PM
2 oz total if I'm lucky I'm using evenflo when I 1st started using it, it worked OK but know it don't work do Well
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN