Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Newborn and diaper rash EDIT:PIC

Posted by on Aug. 3, 2014 at 1:35 PM
  • 38 Replies

Mobile Photo

So Ds is 3 weeks old and while his poops are getting to be less frequent, they are still very often and very runny. He's had a diaper rash for over a week, and after using two different brands of creams, I'm not sure what to do? Is this common in bf babies? Or is he reacting badly to something I'm eating? My lactation groups meet on Thursday, but I'll def take him in to see his doctor if it's something to be worried about.
by on Aug. 3, 2014 at 1:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 1:50 PM
Try letting him go diaperless a bit and apply breastmilk to the rash. Sometimes babies are allergic to a particular type of disposable diaper and a change of brands is needed. To be safe, also look up thrush on kellymom.com and see if anything sounds familiar. If so, all the best remedies and procedures are listed in the article.
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Aug. 3, 2014 at 2:21 PM
Does it look scalded, with a very pronounced edge? I'm wondering about thrush/yeast, too.
SRUsarahSC
by Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 2:22 PM
1 mom liked this

My BF boy had bad diaper rash, it was from the wipes. Switched to pampers sensitive and no more issues.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Aug. 3, 2014 at 2:54 PM

Thursh can present as a rash, with no other symptoms in baby. Are you having any issues with nipple pain?

sjenkins8208
by Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 4:11 PM
It doesn't look like the pictures of thrush I've looked at, I'm not saying it isn't thrush. I do have nipple pain, but just on one, and I'm pretty sure it's from the nipple shield being on funny from time to time. It's also just occasionally painful . I think I just need to take him in

Quoting gdiamante:

Thursh can present as a rash, with no other symptoms in baby. Are you having any issues with nipple pain?

sjenkins8208
by Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 4:13 PM
I think it's from too many poopy diapers and wiping. It looks just very irritated. It could very well be the fragrance in the wipes , but I did buy some natural/fragrance free ones a few days ago.

Quoting SRUsarahSC:

My BF boy had bad diaper rash, it was from the wipes. Switched to pampers sensitive and no more issues.

PinkButterfly66
by Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 4:25 PM

How often are you changing his diaper?  Do you put diaper cream on after every diaper change?  I'd switch to unscented wipes.  If the rash seems to be all over, it might be the disposable diaper brand.

Rosehawk
by on Aug. 3, 2014 at 4:41 PM

My 7 year old daughter would get HORRIBLE diaper rashes. I'm talking dime sized sores on her butt. While liberal applications of Desitin Creamy would help, the rash kept coming back. Once we switched to Pampers Sensitive wipes the rashes went away.

Owl_Feather
by Silver Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 4:46 PM

could be a sensitivity to your diet, which is very common! Let him air out after changes and dont go crazy with soap during baths. I have found old fashioned oatmeal baths and coconut oil to work on my kids overnight!

sjenkins8208
by Member on Aug. 3, 2014 at 5:33 PM
I'll try that. What I'm most worried about is that it is a dairy allergy. Lactation consultant said my kids have a 60% chance of having one since I had one as an infant . But I'm def using all" sensitive" products until I find out what this is

Quoting Owl_Feather:

could be a sensitivity to your diet, which is very common! Let him air out after changes and dont go crazy with soap during baths. I have found old fashioned oatmeal baths and coconut oil to work on my kids overnight!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)