Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Am I the only freaking out about not able to breastfeed?

Posted by on Aug. 4, 2014 at 12:02 AM
  • 20 Replies

So when I had my baby boy three years ago I had so much trouble breastfeeding..the nurses were as frustrated as I was and I only could do it for a month...of course as a first time mom I thought it would be perfect but it was the complete opposite :I now I'm expecting another baby boy and I'm starting to freak out because I want to breast feed my newborn but what if I can't do it again? I guess I freak out because I had a lot of moms looking at me funny when I would tell them that I couldn't do it

i heard about this fenugreek thing but is it healthy for both of us?

bad

by on Aug. 4, 2014 at 12:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BraniOut
by Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 12:49 AM
1 mom liked this
I wasn't able to breastfeed with my first either. I actually stockpiled formula samples during my second pregnancy thinking that things would be a massive failure again. DS is now 2 months old and hasn't needed a drop of formula, so I guess my body does actually work. :)

I'm not the best to give advice on this, but there are plenty of people here to answer your questions. I just want to let you know not to be discouraged. :)
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 1:22 AM
1 mom liked this
What went wrong the first time?
With my first she had a lip tie, and because we never fixed it my nipples didn't start healing until she was three months old and we switched to bottles.
Look up all the info you can. Tongue and lip ties. Newborn diaper counts. Keeping yourself hydrated and well fed. No bottles, no pacifiers (within reason)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Aug. 4, 2014 at 1:40 AM
2 moms liked this
Hugs mama, this is a new baby. New experience

Prepare by educating yourself. Go to www.kellymom.com and www.llli.org. Get the book "the womanly art of breastfeeding" and "so thats what they're there for". Surround yourself with support. Also, nurses usually arent the best way to get breastfeeding support. You need to get someone well trained in laction, like an.ibclc certified breastfeeding consultant for hands on help should you need it.
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Aug. 4, 2014 at 1:41 AM
2 moms liked this
Btw, most moms dont need fenugreek, its only one way to support milk supply, and supply issues arent that common if baby is nursing on demand.
228mommy922
by Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 1:52 AM
1 mom liked this
My mom couldn't breast feed me. She tried and tried. Got all kinds of help. But couldn't.

She ebf my little brother for 16 months.

Hang in there. You could possibly do it just fine! .
Elvira_89
by New Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 2:11 AM

Thank you everyone for the encouragement :) I appreciate it

and well the first time I think it it was a lot of stress...too much going on both emotionally and financially idk if that had to do with me not able to breastfeed 

Quoting polkaspots: What went wrong the first time? With my first she had a lip tie, and because we never fixed it my nipples didn't start healing until she was three months old and we switched to bottles. Look up all the info you can. Tongue and lip ties. Newborn diaper counts. Keeping yourself hydrated and well fed. No bottles, no pacifiers (within reason)

polkaspots
by Gold Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 2:34 AM
What made you think you couldn't? Knowing exactly what went wrong the first time will help you know what to avoid this time.

Quoting Elvira_89:

Thank you everyone for the encouragement :) I appreciate it

and well the first time I think it it was a lot of stress...too much going on both emotionally and financially idk if that had to do with me not able to breastfeed 

Quoting polkaspots: What went wrong the first time?
With my first she had a lip tie, and because we never fixed it my nipples didn't start healing until she was three months old and we switched to bottles.
Look up all the info you can. Tongue and lip ties. Newborn diaper counts. Keeping yourself hydrated and well fed. No bottles, no pacifiers (within reason)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kajira
by Silver Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 8:50 AM

I've nursed 2 babies successfully, and i'm freaking out about being able to nurse my nicu baby full time when he comes home - my husbands the only one who really has total faith in me that it will work out and keeps reassuring me that we'll find a way to make it work, even if it means a few bottles in the beginning while getting him to learn how to nurse since he was a micropreemie.... But he wants to see us nursing full time too.

A support system is going to be huge, especially if you have had trouble before. Educate!!!

Mothers love capsules work good for me - It's pricey, but I found it's worth it, I found funugreek didn't work alone as well as mixing it with blessed thistle and hops supplements did... but taking that many pills a couple times a day was hard for me to  remember, so motherlove has it together in the right dosages to just take 1 2-4x a day. Makes it so much easier for me to remember.

It worked well for me. I went from making 2oz every 2 hours, to 4oz every 2 hours with pumping...

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Aug. 4, 2014 at 9:07 AM
3 moms liked this

Every mother freaks out; you're nowhere near unique on that.

First thing: You've NEVER had a baby before. That's a solid rule. Thje older child doesn't exist, there's no history. Tabula rasa. When you go in as a blank slate, it's remarkably calming.

Next: Whatever time you've spent on infant wardrobe and baby gear, spend TRIPLE that time on learning about feeding. Find a La Leche League group in your area and start attending the meetings. Pick up a copy of "So THat's What They're For" by Janet Tamaro and read it through. And read this group, every day. Every post. The goal: By the time you give birth you'll know more than the docs and nurses do about breastfeeding (read this group ONE WEEK and you'll acheive that).

Next: Buy a sling. That and the car seat are the two most important pieces of baby gear you can own.

That will get you started. Time to start reading! And welcome!

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Aug. 4, 2014 at 11:16 AM
1 mom liked this
We havr faith you can do it too :)

Quoting kajira:

I've nursed 2 babies successfully, and i'm freaking out about being able to nurse my nicu baby full time when he comes home - my husbands the only one who really has total faith in me that it will work out and keeps reassuring me that we'll find a way to make it work, even if it means a few bottles in the beginning while getting him to learn how to nurse since he was a micropreemie.... But he wants to see us nursing full time too.

A support system is going to be huge, especially if you have had trouble before. Educate!!!

Mothers love capsules work good for me - It's pricey, but I found it's worth it, I found funugreek didn't work alone as well as mixing it with blessed thistle and hops supplements did... but taking that many pills a couple times a day was hard for me to  remember, so motherlove has it together in the right dosages to just take 1 2-4x a day. Makes it so much easier for me to remember.

It worked well for me. I went from making 2oz every 2 hours, to 4oz every 2 hours with pumping...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN