Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

6 day old. Is this normal?

Posted by on Aug. 4, 2014 at 5:34 AM
  • 16 Replies

Mobile Photo

Here is little Sawyer! He is 6 days old and we've been nursing successfully since he's been born. We haven't had too many problems and little to no pain.
While he's in the middle of nursing he has started to unlatch and throw his head around side to side with his mouth openings won't latch on again until he calms down. It's like he's looking for the nipple but can't find it. He will start getting pretty aggressive and start pulling his head back too.It makes him really upset and after about 10 seconds of this he will start screaming
I guess my questions are: Is this normal or am I doing something wrong? Why is he doing this? And what can I do to help/prevent this?
Thank you in advance!
by on Aug. 4, 2014 at 5:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Analugojana
by Christine on Aug. 4, 2014 at 7:49 AM
Very normal. Are you engorged now? Do you leak and spray when you let down? He might fight the fast flow of milk. If so, nurse reclined, with baby on top of the beast, not under it.
Give it time and patience. He's pretty new at this.
Congratulations!
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 7:50 AM
Since it's so early, he's still learning. Could be that he's awaiting another letdown, or that when the letdown comes, it's a bit strong. Try burping and switching sides when he does this. You may also want to try a different hold or position. Football hold is good, with a pillow under the arm that you're holding him in for support. Reclined nursing will help if you have overactive letdown/oversupply issues. You lean back, he goes tummy-to-tummy with you vertically rather than horizontally, mouth over rather than under the nipple. When usingthe cradle hold, support your breast with your opposite hand.
hip2it
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 10:15 AM
1 mom liked this
Normal. There's a learning curve, and new babies are easily pissed off. :)
alkakfnxcpoem
by Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 10:23 AM
1 mom liked this

My son did that a lot. But he'd do it immediately when he'd start trying to nurse. Turns out he had a lip tie and just couldn't really get his mouth around my nipple when he was so small. I was so frustrated I almost gave up, but then I started using a nipple shield. We used it until he was about 8 weeks old and his mouth was a little bigger (and my dog chewed it so I couldn't use it anymore...). He's now 10 months and still going strong! Good luck.

bcov
by New Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 11:51 AM
I was engorged but not anymore. I do have some leaking at let down. I'll try that!

Quoting Analugojana: Very normal. Are you engorged now? Do you leak and spray when you let down? He might fight the fast flow of milk. If so, nurse reclined, with baby on top of the beast, not under it.
Give it time and patience. He's pretty new at this.
Congratulations!
bcov
by New Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 11:53 AM
Thank you! We tried football and it helped. When we switch sides he does the same thing

Quoting MusherMaggie: Since it's so early, he's still learning. Could be that he's awaiting another letdown, or that when the letdown comes, it's a bit strong. Try burping and switching sides when he does this. You may also want to try a different hold or position. Football hold is good, with a pillow under the arm that you're holding him in for support. Reclined nursing will help if you have overactive letdown/oversupply issues. You lean back, he goes tummy-to-tummy with you vertically rather than horizontally, mouth over rather than under the nipple. When usingthe cradle hold, support your breast with your opposite hand.
bcov
by New Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 11:56 AM
I thought when babies had a tie it makes nursing real painful. Could he have one if it isn't?

Quoting alkakfnxcpoem:

My son did that a lot. But he'd do it immediately when he'd start trying to nurse. Turns out he had a lip tie and just couldn't really get his mouth around my nipple when he was so small. I was so frustrated I almost gave up, but then I started using a nipple shield. We used it until he was about 8 weeks old and his mouth was a little bigger (and my dog chewed it so I couldn't use it anymore...). He's now 10 months and still going strong! Good luck.

smurfy88
by Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 12:01 PM
1 mom liked this
My DS does the same thing. Started around the same time and now he's 16 days old and still does it, especially at night. He turns really red too.
LittleRed80
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 2:40 AM
1 mom liked this

I call that "boob fighting". It always had to do with let down in my case. 

Analugojana
by Christine on Aug. 5, 2014 at 8:20 AM
Yes, absolutely. My dd had both lip tie and tongue tie and it never hurt nursing. Post a pic with her upper lip turned up and one while she's crying and we might be able to tell.

Quoting bcov: I thought when babies had a tie it makes nursing real painful. Could he have one if it isn't?

Quoting alkakfnxcpoem:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)