Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Remind me why I should keep going...

Posted by on Aug. 4, 2014 at 8:02 AM
  • 12 Replies

DD will be 10 months old on the 15th.  At her 9 month dr apt they wanted me to start supplementing with formula because she wasn't gaining enough.  I didn't.  But I have always watched her diaper count very closely to be sure she's meeting it.  She has started some solids though she mostly just plays with it and gets very little in her mouth.

Lately she wants to nurse less and less.  I keep trying because I want her to nurse more and gain more weight.  She's at the point yesterday where she nursed at 1pm and didn't want to nurse again until 7pm.  I tried.  Trust me, I tried.  But she just refused.  She has absolutely no interest in it.  How is she going to gain weight this way?  And I just know it's going to make my supply drop.  It would be so much easier to just grab a bottle and feed her a little bit whenever she wants it than to constantly be whipping a boob out to only get denied. 

On top of that, we cosleep and she wants to comfort nurse all night long.  I'm so over it.  I want my space back.  I want sleep.  I love her to death but I'm tired of being sucked on all night.  I feel like it would be easier to transitition her in to her own space if she was on a bottle and DH could get up and feed her and meet her needs too. 

I'm just frustrated and annoyed.  So...remind me why I should keep nursing...

by on Aug. 4, 2014 at 8:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jessi2girls
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 8:07 AM

Maybe she's nursing double time at night? I might try cutting out a little of the nightly nursing and hopefully she'll pick up more of an appetite during the day then.. are you nursing befofre solids? What type of solids are you doing? baby jar or homemade?

Is there any chance something else is going on with her? Upset tummies maybe from intolerances to some foods? teething? coming down iwth something? 

Eternity807
by Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 8:27 AM

I always nurse before solids.  Sometimes she doesn't get solids because she won't nurse.  She is not getting baby food.  She eats what we eat and snacks on fruits and vegetables. 

There is a possibility she is teething again.  She just cut her first top tooth so she might be working on her second top tooth.  I tried treating for teething before nursing yesterday and that didn't help at all.

Quoting jessi2girls:

Maybe she's nursing double time at night? I might try cutting out a little of the nightly nursing and hopefully she'll pick up more of an appetite during the day then.. are you nursing befofre solids? What type of solids are you doing? baby jar or homemade?

Is there any chance something else is going on with her? Upset tummies maybe from intolerances to some foods? teething? coming down iwth something? 

jessi2girls
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 8:55 AM

I'm not sure  what could be the issue then other than her probably nursing mostly at night vs. during the day time if her diaper counts are still good.. 

but here's a bump, maybe some other mom's have some other suggestions. 

Quoting Eternity807:

I always nurse before solids.  Sometimes she doesn't get solids because she won't nurse.  She is not getting baby food.  She eats what we eat and snacks on fruits and vegetables. 

There is a possibility she is teething again.  She just cut her first top tooth so she might be working on her second top tooth.  I tried treating for teething before nursing yesterday and that didn't help at all.

Quoting jessi2girls:

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 9:01 AM
What is her complete weight history, including lowest weight after birth? Percentiles are largely useless. Many times doctors are basing expected rate of gain on formula standards. If she is meeting milestones abd diaper count, all is well. Let her work with some frozen breastmilk cubes in a mesh feeder. It also wouldn't hurt her to skip solids entirely for a few days. As for nights, I would just hang in there. Offering more during the day may help. I would even go back during the day to the darkened bedroom and lie down to nurse; it gave both of us a chance to relax, which made my babies nurse better at that stage.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Aug. 4, 2014 at 9:18 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Eternity807:

DD will be 10 months old on the 15th.  At her 9 month dr apt they wanted me to start supplementing with formula because she wasn't gaining enough. 

What WAS she gaining? The expectation is a pound a month. Docs are funny critterzs who want too much gain in the first year and then complain when toddlers gain in the pattern they've gone and set up with over-expecting.

I didn't.  But I have always watched her diaper count very closely to be sure she's meeting it.  She has started some solids though she mostly just plays with it and gets very little in her mouth.

Good. Make sure she ONLY gets solids AFTER nursing, never before. Breastmilk is the balanced meal. Solids are "dessert" at this age, even if you're giving green beans!

Lately she wants to nurse less and less.  I keep trying because I want her to nurse more and gain more weight.  She's at the point yesterday where she nursed at 1pm and didn't want to nurse again until 7pm.  I tried.  Trust me, I tried.  But she just refused.  She has absolutely no interest in it.  How is she going to gain weight this way?  And I just know it's going to make my supply drop.  It would be so much easier to just grab a bottle and feed her a little bit whenever she wants it than to constantly be whipping a boob out to only get denied. 

If she won't take the breast, what makes you think she'll take the bottle?  

On top of that, we cosleep and she wants to comfort nurse all night long. 

Ahhhh... she's nursing at night to make up for what she doesnt' get in the daytime. Remember, ONE POUND PER MONTH is all she needs to gain. FIRE a doc who wants more.

I'm so over it.  I want my space back.  I want sleep. 

Then you have to leave her at the hospital. **smile**

Giving birth is signing on to a lifetime of never sleeping well again. A lifetime! It will continue to be an issue even when she's grown and gone. (My mother's wisdom...death, taxes and NEVER sleeping a full night again are the guarantees.)

I love her to death but I'm tired of being sucked on all night.  I feel like it would be easier to transitition her in to her own space if she was on a bottle and DH could get up and feed her and meet her needs too. 

Yeah, nice theory. Know how often it works in reality? Yeah, you guessed it... you'll have an easier time getting Sarah Palin to endorse Planned Parenthood.

I'm just frustrated and annoyed. 

That means you have a living child. You will be annoyed about one thing or another the rest of your life. (Motherhood has the greatest PR in the world, and there's NO truth in advertising rule that applies to it. Would you like a nearly 15-year-old boy? I'll take your all-night nurser GLADLY in exchange, because the problems are predictable with yours. Not so with mine! **grin**

So...remind me why I should keep nursing...

Promom.org. Read the 101 reasons to breastfeed. And understand you could wean RIGHT THIS SECOND and still have all the same problems, with one less tool for dealing with them.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Aug. 4, 2014 at 9:20 AM
1 mom liked this

Yopu probably need to treat earlier than you have been, to give it time to take effect. Yes, teething can do a NUMBER on it... and can make them just as you've seen at night.

The good news... she's managing at night with just nursing. She could be worse (things can ALWAYS be worse)!

Hang in there. You'll be OK, really.

Quoting Eternity807:

Quoting jessi2girls:

Eternity807
by Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 9:39 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank you!  This is pretty much everything I needed to hear to keep going.  I don't remember her weight at hospital discharge, but she was 8lb 1oz at birth, gained well until 3 months, was 14lb 13oz at 6 months and 16lb 3oz at 9 months.  So she isn't gaining a pound a month as desired.  Regardless, she is meeting her developmental milestones as expected.  Oh, and...she hates the bottle.  She gets it at daycare and doesn't like it.

Keep your 15 year old.  I have an almost 14 year old boy.  I definitely do not want another smelly, moody, hormonal mess in my house!  :)

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting Eternity807:

DD will be 10 months old on the 15th.  At her 9 month dr apt they wanted me to start supplementing with formula because she wasn't gaining enough. 

What WAS she gaining? The expectation is a pound a month. Docs are funny critterzs who want too much gain in the first year and then complain when toddlers gain in the pattern they've gone and set up with over-expecting.

I didn't.  But I have always watched her diaper count very closely to be sure she's meeting it.  She has started some solids though she mostly just plays with it and gets very little in her mouth.

Good. Make sure she ONLY gets solids AFTER nursing, never before. Breastmilk is the balanced meal. Solids are "dessert" at this age, even if you're giving green beans!

Ahhhh... she's nursing at night to make up for what she doesnt' get in the daytime. Remember, ONE POUND PER MONTH is all she needs to gain. FIRE a doc who wants more.

Giving birth is signing on to a lifetime of never sleeping well again. A lifetime! It will continue to be an issue even when she's grown and gone. (My mother's wisdom...death, taxes and NEVER sleeping a full night again are the guarantees.)

I love her to death but I'm tired of being sucked on all night.  I feel like it would be easier to transitition her in to her own space if she was on a bottle and DH could get up and feed her and meet her needs too. 

Yeah, nice theory. Know how often it works in reality? Yeah, you guessed it... you'll have an easier time getting Sarah Palin to endorse Planned Parenthood.

That means you have a living child. You will be annoyed about one thing or another the rest of your life. (Motherhood has the greatest PR in the world, and there's NO truth in advertising rule that applies to it. Would you like a nearly 15-year-old boy? I'll take your all-night nurser GLADLY in exchange, because the problems are predictable with yours. Not so with mine! **grin**

Promom.org. Read the 101 reasons to breastfeed. And understand you could wean RIGHT THIS SECOND and still have all the same problems, with one less tool for dealing with them.

jessi2girls
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 9:42 PM

While a pound a month is ideal, it's not a must.. My youngest, after 4 months, didn't gain a pound a month, in fact from 4 months until 12 months she only gained 2lbs 13 ounces. (Then again, she went from being 7lbs 2 ounces at birth to 20lbs by 4 months!!! lol).  so long as there is still a growth, and a weight gain and it's climbing that scale, and she had a good diaper count, you are doing good.. (you can look up a breastfeeding size chart, most doctors use a formula one, so it sometimes feels like your LO is smaller than they should be.. when in reality formula feeders are often larger than the should be.. not always, lol, but for the majority.. )

Quoting Eternity807:

Thank you!  This is pretty much everything I needed to hear to keep going.  I don't remember her weight at hospital discharge, but she was 8lb 1oz at birth, gained well until 3 months, was 14lb 13oz at 6 months and 16lb 3oz at 9 months.  So she isn't gaining a pound a month as desired.  Regardless, she is meeting her developmental milestones as expected.  Oh, and...she hates the bottle.  She gets it at daycare and doesn't like it.

Keep your 15 year old.  I have an almost 14 year old boy.  I definitely do not want another smelly, moody, hormonal mess in my house!  :)

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting Eternity807:

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 9:53 PM
I'll bet she's very mobile, too. Are there other petite individuals in your family?
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Aug. 4, 2014 at 11:46 PM

Quoting Eternity807:

Thank you!  This is pretty much everything I needed to hear to keep going.  I don't remember her weight at hospital discharge, but she was 8lb 1oz at birth,

OK. 129 ounces birth weight. Almost as big as mine (he was 8/1) Knock off ten percent for lowest weight (hospital discharge is pretty much NEVER lowest because they keep losing); that's 13 ounces down and takes you to an estimated 7/4.

gained well until 3 months, was 14lb 13oz at 6 months

Good gravy she was huge. Bigger than mine. 7 lbs from anticipated lowest. (And they thought he was large... one doc even thought ABNORMALLY so!) So a slowdown would be expected in rate of gain.

and 16lb 3oz at 9 months. 

7/1 + 9 months = 16/1 expected nine month weight. She's dead on target... FIRE any doc who tells you different. FIRED. NOW.

So she isn't gaining a pound a month as desired.

Yes she is. Never count gain from birth weight. Birth weight is trivia you're only to trot out when you want to impress your friends at a baby shower with your ability to push out something the size of a basketball. **grin** Gain gets calculated from LOWEST weight.

Regardless, she is meeting her developmental milestones as expected. 

Beautiful. That's the only thing that REALLY counts. (Our doc doesn't look at weight UNLESS milestones are missed.)

Oh, and...she hates the bottle.  She gets it at daycare and doesn't like it.

Heh heh... so wouldn't solve too much!

Heh heh heh heh heh. I finally hit on how to get mine to shower daily, at least I hope I did. He likes the Tea Tree Oil shampoo & conditioner from Great Clips. It's horridly expensive but he actually went in and used it today without being told!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)