Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Getting bottle fed baby back to EBF

Posted by on Aug. 4, 2014 at 8:45 AM
  • 19 Replies
My son is 8.5 months old and mostly bottle fed. He nurses maybe twice a day. I'm wanting to get him back on the breast full time for most feedings (he does some solids here and there). I ordered a SNS to try and have read up on what to do. Does anyone have any advice or experience?
by on Aug. 4, 2014 at 8:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 8:53 AM
Has he been getting expressed milk or formula in the bottles? If it was breastmilk, no need to do anything but nurse him instead of giving the bottles. You can also look up "Getting Baby Back to Breast" on Kellymom.com.
Maxi_Maxi
by Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 9:23 AM
Both. And he refuses to nurse at times. That's why I've ordered the SNS. He loves his bottle. I chose to pump due to supply issues-he was more satisfied with a bottle. I fear I've made a huge mistake with that decision.

Quoting MusherMaggie: Has he been getting expressed milk or formula in the bottles? If it was breastmilk, no need to do anything but nurse him instead of giving the bottles. You can also look up "Getting Baby Back to Breast" on Kellymom.com.
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Aug. 4, 2014 at 9:31 AM
How much are you pumping daily? How much is he taking by bottle?

Quoting Maxi_Maxi: Both. And he refuses to nurse at times. That's why I've ordered the SNS. He loves his bottle. I chose to pump due to supply issues-he was more satisfied with a bottle. I fear I've made a huge mistake with that decision.

Quoting MusherMaggie: Has he been getting expressed milk or formula in the bottles? If it was breastmilk, no need to do anything but nurse him instead of giving the bottles. You can also look up "Getting Baby Back to Breast" on Kellymom.com.
Maxi_Maxi
by Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 9:33 AM
Pumping 6-8 times a day. I know I should do a full 10 but it just won't work. I have an in-home daycare and it's much easier to nurse than to pump. He gets five-six 4 ounce bottles a day.

Quoting mostlymaydays: How much are you pumping daily? How much is he taking by bottle?

Quoting Maxi_Maxi: Both. And he refuses to nurse at times. That's why I've ordered the SNS. He loves his bottle. I chose to pump due to supply issues-he was more satisfied with a bottle. I fear I've made a huge mistake with that decision.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Aug. 4, 2014 at 9:33 AM

Chalk it up for next time around. "Satisfy" should be considered an indecent word when used with babies. **grin** They're job is to NOT be satisfied... in the interest of their survival. (They're the original squeaky wheels, and breastmilk is the original grease!)

In the meantime, you can make the bottle far less "satisfying" by making it a LOT of work compared to the breast (if he's latching). Preemie nipple. Bottle held parallel to the floor. Stop him after every ounce for a big burp. And no more than two ounces in the bottle at a time.  Make him WORK for it, but make the breast easier if you can by using breast massage to stimulate letdown and to make it much faster in delivery than the bottle.

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Aug. 4, 2014 at 9:37 AM
How much are you getting when you pump? (Trying to understand the big picture, how much expressed milk in bottles vs formula at this point)

Quoting Maxi_Maxi: Pumping 6-8 times a day. I know I should do a full 10 but it just won't work. I have an in-home daycare and it's much easier to nurse than to pump. He gets five-six 4 ounce bottles a day.

Quoting mostlymaydays: How much are you pumping daily? How much is he taking by bottle?

Maxi_Maxi
by Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 9:45 AM
I am only getting 6-8 oz a day of breast milk. I used to get 18 and it's dwindled over time.

Quoting mostlymaydays: How much are you getting when you pump? (Trying to understand the big picture, how much expressed milk in bottles vs formula at this point)

Quoting Maxi_Maxi: Pumping 6-8 times a day. I know I should do a full 10 but it just won't work. I have an in-home daycare and it's much easier to nurse than to pump. He gets five-six 4 ounce bottles a day.

Maxi_Maxi
by Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 9:46 AM
I was evaluated by an LC and I had supply issues so that's why I say satisfied by a bottle. He was losing weight and basically starving.

Quoting gdiamante:

Chalk it up for next time around. "Satisfy" should be considered an indecent word when used with babies. **grin** They're job is to NOT be satisfied... in the interest of their survival. (They're the original squeaky wheels, and breastmilk is the original grease!)

In the meantime, you can make the bottle far less "satisfying" by making it a LOT of work compared to the breast (if he's latching). Preemie nipple. Bottle held parallel to the floor. Stop him after every ounce for a big burp. And no more than two ounces in the bottle at a time.  Make him WORK for it, but make the breast easier if you can by using breast massage to stimulate letdown and to make it much faster in delivery than the bottle.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Aug. 4, 2014 at 9:48 AM

Losing weight past the first week IS a problem. (They are supposed to lose in week 1.) Another thing to file away for next time: Often babies are born with tongue tie, that can interfere with latch and milk transference. We've seen that crop up SO many times, so it's a good thing to file away.

Also, if he IS tied, you may run into the same problem now. A pediatric dentist can take a look and clip any tie.

Maxi_Maxi
by Member on Aug. 4, 2014 at 9:56 AM
He has a lip tie. The LC we saw said he latches ok without it being operated on, but I do believe it led to my supply issues.

Quoting gdiamante:

Losing weight past the first week IS a problem. (They are supposed to lose in week 1.) Another thing to file away for next time: Often babies are born with tongue tie, that can interfere with latch and milk transference. We've seen that crop up SO many times, so it's a good thing to file away.

Also, if he IS tied, you may run into the same problem now. A pediatric dentist can take a look and clip any tie.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN