Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

maybe an odd question for this group. ..

Posted by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 10:33 PM
  • 8 Replies
So I know all or most of u moms nurse your little ones... I however pump and bottle feed. My lil man is 6 almost 7 month. I havent put him to my breast really since he was about a month old. We never had success with him latching i was going thru alot and getting frustrated and gave up. I did however force my self to keep pumping. So yesterday morning when he woke up I thought I would just put him to my breast to see what he would do and as I suspected I expressed my milk out by hand she sucked once and pulled away wiggling. So my question is is there any benefits to putting him to the breast? Is there any chance he will latch? Does it help supply in anyway like it does in the beginning? I am struggling with supply issues so if it would help I would do it.
by on Aug. 5, 2014 at 10:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Aug. 5, 2014 at 10:53 PM
While pumping and bottle feeding breastmilk is still significantly healthier than formula feeding, even the best pumps are less than half as efficient as a baby at efficiently removing milk. So a baby at the breast provides better supply stimulation. There is also some biofeedback going on from an infant's saliva that tailor the antibodies in the milk as well as make it especially suitable for the particular age of the baby. Pumping is hard and I'm honestly not sure how long I could stick it out. We see many moms hit a supply regulation and their usual pumping routine isn't cutting it anymore. So while your breastfeeding counterparts have babies getting quicker and more efficient nursing, pumping moms face lessening pump response and have to put even more into it. I admire pumping moms. I don't think any less of them at, in fact quite the opposite. There are articles a out getting baby back to the breast, yes even after months.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 11:15 PM
One thing to do is to see if he has lip or tongue ties that would keep him from getting a good latch. If you can take a picture of his mouth with the top lip turned up and one with his mouth open, like when he's crying, we may be able to tell.
NDAUGHERTY
by Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 11:26 PM
They have looked in his mouth at the pediatrician and she said its all good there.

Quoting MusherMaggie: One thing to do is to see if he has lip or tongue ties that would keep him from getting a good latch. If you can take a picture of his mouth with the top lip turned up and one with his mouth open, like when he's crying, we may be able to tell.
LadyBugMom09
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2014 at 11:33 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't have experience in this personally, but my little sister had a very lazy nurser. Lol. I even put him to my breast since our babies are only a cpl months apart and he literally did nothing. She pumped and bottle feed about two months and then he started latching to her breast.

But she would sleep topless with him next to her breast, what an LC recommended and would also bottle feed him topless....so I think that helped.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Aug. 6, 2014 at 12:19 AM

There's ALWAYS a benefit to putting him to breast, never "not" a benefit. It's possible to get him back, thoguh it won't be easy.

Not an odd question. **grin**

hnischke
by Heather on Aug. 6, 2014 at 12:23 AM
At the very least it will help tell your body his needs from his saliva. I know many moms who (myself included until last month when I dried up due to my current pregnancy) that will rub baby's saliva on their nipples a few times a day to get some biofeedback.
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Aug. 6, 2014 at 1:27 AM
That's a neat story! Tfs :)

Quoting LadyBugMom09: I don't have experience in this personally, but my little sister had a very lazy nurser. Lol. I even put him to my breast since our babies are only a cpl months apart and he literally did nothing. She pumped and bottle feed about two months and then he started latching to her breast.

But she would sleep topless with him next to her breast, what an LC recommended and would also bottle feed him topless....so I think that helped.
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Aug. 6, 2014 at 5:30 AM
You've been eping for this long? Holy crap that's impressive. I've got no advice for you, only admiration. That's dedication. Compared to that getting him to nurse should be a walk in the park.
If I'm not mistaken your best bet would be to start with comfort nursing when he's not actually hungry. Like when lying in bed sleepy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)