Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Newbie here and I have a question!

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2007 at 11:08 AM
  • 4 Replies
First off let me introduce myself! I'm Amanda and I am a sahm to my boys Joey ( 3 1/2yrs) and DJ (2yrs). Hubby and I are expecting Jake's arrival in May this year. I tried nursing DJ when he was born but discovered I had inverted nipples (sorry for the TMI!). One of the nurses told me if I was concerned give him a bottle and he would be fine. Well he took the bottle and never went back. I was really upset because I wanted very badly for the choice to breastfeed to be mine kwim? Anywho back to the question. I very much want to give it a shot with Jake and I want to do everything I can to ensure that I can at least get it to work and get him latched on. Any advice? Anybody ever dealt with inverted nipples? I know that breastfeeding isn't something that just happens and that it is a learned art for both mom and baby I just want to be able to give my baby what is best for him.

Thanks again for the help!
by on Feb. 23, 2007 at 11:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
ladyhelena
by on Feb. 23, 2007 at 11:56 AM
I didn't have inverted nipples, but when my son was born I was told I had flat nipples. At the hospital, they gave me a nipple shield to use. It's like a little clear rubber thing that goes over your nipple and acts like a substitute nipple. It worked, and I was able to nurse him. When he was about 6 weeks old, we went on a trip to a hotel. The bellboy was bringing our bags up to the room, and not even thinking, I left the shield in one of those bags. My son was screaming because he was hungry, so I was forced to nurse him without a shield and it worked! I think the shield helped my nipples stand up better or something. So I used it whenever I had to from then on, but tried not to. Anyways, he's 8 months old and I never have to use the shield any more. Good luck!
M.I.L.F.13
by on Feb. 23, 2007 at 1:00 PM
I too was told that I had inverted nipples after I had my daughter. We breastfed for 2 years! So you can too. They gave me a nipple shield to help them come out. Be very careful with the shield though. It can actually cause Thrush.  Be sure to wash it with Hot soapy water after every use. You want to make sure you kill the yeast. We only used the shield for about two weeks. So its not like you have to wear it all the time. I hope all works out for you.
BonBon55
by on Feb. 24, 2007 at 2:18 AM

I had inverted nipples too when my son was born. The lactation consultant had me try the nipple shield which really did  not work for me, but they actually came in VERY handy when I had very painful, cracked nipples to the point of bleeding. What did work for me was that I would use my breast pump just before nursing which would pull my nipples out somewhat and make for better latching. Good luck!

cris.02.03.06
by on Feb. 27, 2007 at 11:28 PM
I too have that problem and failed nursing my first child due to it but I was very insistant with my second-- it took four weeks to get him latching properly but he did finally and we nursed for 18months. I didn't know about the shields then but I did the pump trick mentioned above--- it really helped with him. It however didn't work with my third little one I just had in Aug so I had to go get the sheilds and they worked great with him. Do what you can and if you still have some problems find a lactation consultant near you.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)