Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Help please! Shingles & bf

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2014 at 2:22 AM
  • 9 Replies
My lo just turned a year old last week...YAY! We made it a full year with no plan to wean anytime soon, however I'm worried we might have so wean very suddenly.

Lo had his 1yr check up today and got his varicella vac today, pedi is happy with his growth, he's 19.6 lbs & 29.9" long, in the 5th% in weight and 10% in height.

My concern is this...I have developed a group of blisters on my left thigh and was diagnosed with shingles this evening. They gave an RX for zolimax and prednisone but my doc expressed concern for Philip since shingles is a live virus and he's still nursing so has been exposed to it.

Has anyone ever dealt with this? What should I watch him for? Should I wean him immediately?

I'm calling his pedi first thing tomorrow morning & will start my meds tomorrow afternoon.

This is freaking me out! I chose to ebf for the benefits for my son but never thought about any risks.
by on Aug. 7, 2014 at 2:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
BraniOut
by Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 3:12 AM
I actually was diagnosed with shingles just last week! My DS is only 2 months old, and my doctor was worried about it because it was on my arm, but I called his pediatrician and she was not too concerned. They told me to keep the rash covered because the discharge from the rash can cause chicken pox, but otherwise it was perfectly safe to keep breastfeeding.

I hope you feel better soon. Those first couple of days were a little rough, but I'm already much better.
Roomfor1more
by Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 3:46 AM
Thanks for the info. I've been looking at tons of articles about this and they all seem to say the same thing about covering the rash and avoiding direct contact with it, but this Dr I saw tonight who isn't my normal Dr was really concerned about little man and said he would probably break out badly from this so that really worried me.

I'm going to call the pedi in the am just to alert her and get her opinion on things. Luckily it's only on the back of my thigh but close to the side so if I sit a certain way he could have come in contact with it since I hadn't covered it because it wa so painful, but it's wrapped up now.

Quoting BraniOut: I actually was diagnosed with shingles just last week! My DS is only 2 months old, and my doctor was worried about it because it was on my arm, but I called his pediatrician and she was not too concerned. They told me to keep the rash covered because the discharge from the rash can cause chicken pox, but otherwise it was perfectly safe to keep breastfeeding.

I hope you feel better soon. Those first couple of days were a little rough, but I'm already much better.
K8wizzo
by Kate on Aug. 7, 2014 at 7:52 AM
Keep the area covered. Breastfeeding won't give him chickenpox. If he does get it, it's either from the vaccine or from contact with your rash.
micheledo
by Bronze Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 7:52 AM
I wouldn't be concerned. The only thing he could catch would be chicken pox. He is a year old, not an infant. He is getting antibodies from you. So my guess is that even IF he caught it, it wouldn't be to bad. :)
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Aug. 7, 2014 at 6:18 PM

Since he's already been vaccinated, any case he gets should be fairly mild. Mine got chicken pox from the vaccine! And since I'd never had it, nor had my parents, I ended up exiled at their house for about a week while DH handled everything.

Roomfor1more
by Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 7:15 PM
Thanks ladies. I've spoken with his pedi about everything, she has noted his file and said to call if he breaks out and runs a fever. There's nothing we can do but wait and see.

She said there's a slight chance he was exposed since it wasn't covered but te fact that the blisters didn't pop up until Tuesday and I went in on Wednesday and they have not ruptured its very slight. She agreed there's no threat with my milk and is mad that the other Dr insinuated there was.

She did caution against extended use of the prednisone so I've decided not to take that but the other meds are fine.
ceckyl
by Kyla on Aug. 7, 2014 at 8:46 PM
2 moms liked this
Sounds like you got shingles from vaccine shedding. He will be fine.
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Aug. 7, 2014 at 8:52 PM
Keep nursing mama. My dh had shingles, my two older boys got chicken pox, but my breastfed baby didnt! If your baby happens to get chicken pox it will most likely be very milk due to age and the fact that you are breastfeeding protects him as well. Sorry yoy got shingles :(
PoodleMum
by Silver Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 9:52 PM
I got shingles this winter and did EVERYTHING to try to give my girls chicken pox. Neither got it! It was soooooo painful though, I suggest Lidocaine patches. I didn't take the meds
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN