Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Dry all night?

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2014 at 7:46 AM
  • 8 Replies
My son is 4 weeks old, and the last 2-3 nights, he's been going all night without needing a diaper change. Is that something to be worried about? I change several during the day, but nighttime, he's been bone dry.
by on Aug. 7, 2014 at 7:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
K8wizzo
by Kate on Aug. 7, 2014 at 7:50 AM
Are you changing 6 diapers in each 24 hour period with at least 2 of them being poops?
lovebugs_mom906
by Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 7:58 AM
Yes. It just seems so odd to have dry newborn at night. My other 2, i changed at every feeding for the first month it two, and that's how he started as well.

Quoting K8wizzo: Are you changing 6 diapers in each 24 hour period with at least 2 of them being poops?
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 8:04 AM
Is he nursing at night? Does he have lip or tongue ties? It might just be that he's finished a growth spurt and sleeping a little heavier for a few days.
lovebugs_mom906
by Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 11:05 AM
He does nurse at night. I'm not sure how long - I'm blind without my contacts and can't see the clock to save my life. We both usually fall back to sleep too. He does have a lip tie for sure - it goes all the way down his gums to where his teeth will come in. There is a very thin band that goes along the bottom of his tongue, all the way to the tip. I asked the pediatrician about it, and she agreed he had a lip tie, but said they won't do anything at his age right now. She also said that since he can stick his tongue past his gum line, then he's not tongue tied.

Quoting MusherMaggie: Is he nursing at night? Does he have lip or tongue ties? It might just be that he's finished a growth spurt and sleeping a little heavier for a few days.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 11:20 AM
Quoting lovebugs_mom906: He does nurse at night. I'm not sure how long - I'm blind without my contacts and can't see the clock to save my life. We both usually fall back to sleep too. He does have a lip tie for sure - it goes all the way down his gums to where his teeth will come in. There is a very thin band that goes along the bottom of his tongue, all the way to the tip. I asked the pediatrician about it, and she agreed he had a lip tie, but said they won't do anything at his age right now. She also said that since he can stick his tongue past his gum line, then he's not tongue tied.

Quoting MusherMaggie: Is he nursing at night? Does he have lip or tongue ties? It might just be that he's finished a growth spurt and sleeping a little heavier for a few days.

Sorry, but the doctor is very wrong about the ties. They need to be fixed immediately. As your supply regulates, he will not be able to nurse effectively, which will make his gain slow and your supply drop. Check the section on ties in the resources sticky. There are pictures, links and a list of reputable providers by state who revise ties. You will need to be persistent with this to preserve your breastfeeding relationship. Sticking the tongue out means nothing. I have a posterior tongue tie myself and can stick my tongue out. I also had a lip tie, and have some vestigial tissue left over. I have a bit of a speech impediment and definite food texture problems from the tongue tie.

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

lovebugs_mom906
by Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 11:36 AM
Thank you for the info. I see my favorite doctor at the practice next week at his 1 month visit, and I'll talk to her more about it. I feel like she listens better than any other doctor there.

Quoting MusherMaggie:
Quoting lovebugs_mom906: He does nurse at night. I'm not sure how long - I'm blind without my contacts and can't see the clock to save my life. We both usually fall back to sleep too. He does have a lip tie for sure - it goes all the way down his gums to where his teeth will come in. There is a very thin band that goes along the bottom of his tongue, all the way to the tip. I asked the pediatrician about it, and she agreed he had a lip tie, but said they won't do anything at his age right now. She also said that since he can stick his tongue past his gum line, then he's not tongue tied.

Sorry, but the doctor is very wrong about the ties. They need to be fixed immediately. As your supply regulates, he will not be able to nurse effectively, which will make his gain slow and your supply drop. Check the section on ties in the resources sticky. There are pictures, links and a list of reputable providers by state who revise ties. You will need to be persistent with this to preserve your breastfeeding relationship. Sticking the tongue out means nothing. I have a posterior tongue tie myself and can stick my tongue out. I also had a lip tie, and have some vestigial tissue left over. I have a bit of a speech impediment and definite food texture problems from the tongue tie.
Rosehawk
by on Aug. 7, 2014 at 1:13 PM

My two month old will occasionally do the same thing. As long as they have 6-8 wet diapers in 24 hours, they're fine.

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 1:18 PM
Even at this stage, he may be starting to burn more calories than he is taking in. I would invest in an SNS so that you can supplement with your pumped milk at the breast until the ties are revised, should his diaper count drop off.

Be aware that many medical professionals are not aware of the impact of ties on nursing. I would print off some information on ties from the resources sticky and take it to the next appointment. Besides slow gain and lowered supply, ties can cause dental, speech and food texture/swallowing issues.

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)