Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

when to start solids..

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2014 at 10:45 AM
  • 47 Replies
My doctor told me to start solids like rice or a vegetable at 4 months, but a lot of recommendations are for 6 months. Which one is correct?
by on Aug. 7, 2014 at 10:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RedMom755
by New Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 10:46 AM

the later the better!!! my ds was 6 months and my dd was 9 months

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Aug. 7, 2014 at 10:48 AM
6 months. And even then only if baby has pincer grasp adequate enough for self feeding small bits of the real thing. We generally suggest staying away from purees because they accidentally teach babies to swallow food without learning the skill of chewing. Rice is constipating and not even recommended by the AAP as an early iron source anymore; meat is better.
sahm978
by Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 10:49 AM
And they still get all the energy and nutrients they need at that age just on breastmilk?
I don't really feel like he should be eating solids yet, but there are so many different ideas about it.

Quoting RedMom755:

the later the better!!! my ds was 6 months and my dd was 9 months

mamabens
by Miranda on Aug. 7, 2014 at 10:58 AM

NOT your dr! Nothing but breastmilk before 6 months minimum. They must also be able to sit unassisted, lost the tongue thrust reflex, and have the pincher grasp. If they don't meet all of those  then they aren't ready. Food before 1 is just fun, not nutritionally necessary at all

LittleRed80
by Bronze Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 11:00 AM
I started my first child on solids at 4 months per Drs advice. Big mistake. It was my first and I didn't know any better. She had 2 days of projectile diarrhea. And I mean projectile. That shit shot out across the room. It even got me in the face. It was awful. Her gut was not ready. After that I learned about baby lead weaning. I think that's the way to go. I wouldn't start any sooner than 6 months. I have the fattest babies, too.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 11:12 AM
Breastmilk really is enough through the first year, with solids just to try. Sweet potato, avocado, shredded or ground meat are all good to start with. No cereal or grain products until closer to a year. No processed baby food or baby cereal. The artificially fortified foods prevent the absorption of iron from breastmilk. Waiting until six months ensures that the gut is closed and ready to digest something other than breastmilk. Until one year, always nurse before solids. No nursing, no solids.
Rosehawk
by on Aug. 7, 2014 at 1:26 PM

When my 10 year old was a baby, it was "introduce solids at 4-6 months". At 4 months old he could sit unsupported/unassisted, was interested in the food on my plate, and kept trying to take food off my plate to try and eat it. We started him on solids at 4 months.

When my 7 year old was a baby, it was "no solids until at least 6 months old". At 4 months old, she was the exact same as her brother. With her doctor's approval, we started her on solids at 4 months old. We had to be a little more careful, she'd get these quarter sized rashes at her temples after eating every fruit, and sweet potatoes. We held off on those for a few months, and now she has zero allergies.

With my 2 month old, I'm going to follow her lead. If she's anything like her siblings, she'll be wanting to start eating real food at around 4 months old. She's already able to hold her head steady and look around.

Look for signs of readiness:
Can sit unsupported/unassisted on his/her own
Has stopped the tongue thrust reflex (spitting everything out)
Is interested in what YOU'RE eating
Opens his/her mouth with every bite YOU take
Has mastered the pincer grasp
Umm, there are a few more but I just forgot what they are.

If/when you introduce solids, start with veggies. A few months later, start adding the fruits. The fruits are sweeter, and if you start with them, it's harder to get baby to try the bland veggies.....if you go with Gerber, or any jarred food. A lot of people make their own baby food instead of buying it at the store. 

RedMom755
by New Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 1:43 PM

you do not need to feed your baby anything but breastmilk until at least 1yr. 

introduce foods slowly and remember the rule of three. feed baby only 1 food at a time and feed that same food for three days. by doing this you will be able to tell if baby ever has a reaction to a food and which food it was.

shortyali
by Alicia on Aug. 7, 2014 at 2:10 PM

You really want to be able to say yes to these 4 questions before you start solids:

1) Can sit un-assisted

2) Has pincer grasp

3) Lost tonhue thrust relex

4) is 6 months or older. Before then their gut isnt closed so far down the road it could cause other helath problems.

Reaching for food isnt really a sign becasue they reach for everything.  My kids all reached for knives if I was holding one, wouldnt really be safe to give it to them just because they reached for it, right?

Before the 1st birthday you want to nurse a normal feeding first, then offer solid (whatever you feel more comfortable with as far as puree and actual solids).  I went with actual solids because it was less work on my part, lol.  Notice I said a normal feeding.  When my DS2 was around 10 months, he started snacking at nursing and thinking that would get him more solids.  Nope, close to 90% of their nutrition for the first year should be breast milk or formula, solids are just for play. Before 6 months I would give my kids a bowl, spoon and fork when we ate and they played with that.  By the time I actually gave them food, they were pros at getting the fork and spoon to their mouths and most actually making it in.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickersDaisypath Anniversary tickers
mamabens
by Miranda on Aug. 7, 2014 at 2:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Rosehawk:

When my 10 year old was a baby, it was "introduce solids at 4-6 months". At 4 months old he could sit unsupported/unassisted, was interested in the food on my plate, and kept trying to take food off my plate to try and eat it. We started him on solids at 4 months.

When my 7 year old was a baby, it was "no solids until at least 6 months old". At 4 months old, she was the exact same as her brother. With her doctor's approval, we started her on solids at 4 months old. We had to be a little more careful, she'd get these quarter sized rashes at her temples after eating every fruit, and sweet potatoes. We held off on those for a few months, and now she has zero allergies.

With my 2 month old, I'm going to follow her lead. If she's anything like her siblings, she'll be wanting to start eating real food at around 4 months old. She's already able to hold her head steady and look around.

Look for signs of readiness:Can sit unsupported/unassisted on his/her ownHas stopped the tongue thrust reflex (spitting everything out)Is interested in what YOU'RE eatingOpens his/her mouth with every bite YOU take

the previous two are not signs of readiness. My kids were opening their mouths and reaching for everything at 4 months. It's a developmental growth to show interest in learning. Just because they reached for my mils cigarettes didn't mean they were ready for them. The signs for ready to start solids are 1 at least 6 months of age, 2 lost tongue reflex, 3 has pincher grasp, & 4 can sit unsupported. Unless all are met baby is not ready. The virgin gut is not closed up until at least 6 months

Has mastered the pincer graspUmm, there are a few more but I just forgot what they are.

If/when you introduce solids, start with veggies. A few months later, start adding the fruits. The fruits are sweeter, and if you start with them, it's harder to get baby to try the bland veggies.  Not necessarily true for all babies. All four of mine started with fruits with no issues with veggies later. We did do baby led solids with the last two though, no purees which made it easier. 

....if you go with Gerber, or any jarred food. A lot of people make their own baby food instead of buying it at the store. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)