Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

inositol safe?

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2014 at 2:14 PM
  • 9 Replies

Is inositol powder safe to take while breastfeeding (1-2 grams)? It's usually recommended by doctors at much higher dosages (12-18g). I've read it helps with anxiety so I've been thinking about taking it. Sometimes I take my placenta pills to help boost my mood but I'm going to run out of them soon. I can't find any info on it other than companies labeling the product with a "consult doctor if breastfeeding." I guess it could just be a CYA statement. It is a b-vitamin but would it still be okay in that dosage?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Aug. 7, 2014 at 2:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
JackAttacks
by Angel on Aug. 7, 2014 at 2:31 PM

can you post a pic of the package so we can see ingredients? IDK what that is but id be happy to look it up on lactmed.

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Aug. 7, 2014 at 2:48 PM

Inositol is naturally found in breastmilk and formula made with cows milk. In fact, it's required to be added to formulas that don't contain cows milk. I can't imagine taking it in powder form would be concerning. Does the powder have anything else worth mentioning in it?

Analugojana
by Christine on Aug. 7, 2014 at 2:49 PM
Inositol is one of the B vitamins. I'd think it would be safe.
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Aug. 7, 2014 at 3:03 PM

Mobile Photo

I didn't know what inositol was so I looked it up on my Infant Risk Center app. The difference maybe being the dosage?
beachlove512
by Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 11:24 PM

It's just inositol (vitamin b8)  and nothing else. It's in powdered form. It's not so much the vitamin I'm concerned about as it is the dosage. Could too much B8 be harmful in the breastmilk? I don't know if that's a dumb question or not.

Quoting JackAttacks:

can you post a pic of the package so we can see ingredients? IDK what that is but id be happy to look it up on lactmed.

beachlove512
by Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 11:26 PM

Nope, it's just inositol. I know b8 is naturally occurring but I'm just more worried about the amount going into my milk and whether or not it would be okay.

Quoting stepconfused182:

Inositol is naturally found in breastmilk and formula made with cows milk. In fact, it's required to be added to formulas that don't contain cows milk. I can't imagine taking it in powder form would be concerning. Does the powder have anything else worth mentioning in it?

beachlove512
by Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 11:32 PM

It's vitamin b8. Hmmmm...well I guess I could try a smaller dosage than that and see if it helps at all. I've taken other B vitamin supplements while breastfeeding (b6 and b12) because I don't absorb it very well and end up with a deficiency.

Quoting mostlymaydays:

Mobile Photo

I didn't know what inositol was so I looked it up on my Infant Risk Center app. The difference maybe being the dosage?

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Aug. 8, 2014 at 6:34 AM
1 mom liked this

Due to the fact that it's water soluble, I wouldn't be concerned.

Quoting beachlove512:

Nope, it's just inositol. I know b8 is naturally occurring but I'm just more worried about the amount going into my milk and whether or not it would be okay.

Quoting stepconfused182:

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Aug. 8, 2014 at 6:49 AM
Since there aren't any other ingredients in the powder and you aren't drinking an herbal tea, I wouldn't go by this. Call the infant risk center if you still aren't comfortable with taking it.

Quoting beachlove512:

It's vitamin b8. Hmmmm...well I guess I could try a smaller dosage than that and see if it helps at all. I've taken other B vitamin supplements while breastfeeding (b6 and b12) because I don't absorb it very well and end up with a deficiency.

Quoting mostlymaydays:

Mobile Photo

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)