Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Working Moms, Click Here!

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2014 at 4:08 PM
  • 20 Replies

I start a new job (my first job since I gave birth) next Friday. I’ll be pumping, so I need to hear from veteran moms who have accomplished both EBF and working full-time simulatniously. What supplies do I need to bring to work to successfully keep my darling angel EBF?

- Pump and pieces
- Cooler
- Ice packs
- Storage bags
- Pumping bra (so I can work and pump)
- Tampons (unrelated, but in case my period decides to reappear at work)
- Granola bars and mother’s milk tea (for my afternoon snack)
- A bag of some sort to store all of these things in

Is that too much to bring?

Am I forgetting anything? What did you take with you?

by on Aug. 7, 2014 at 4:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kristen.Marie
by Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 4:09 PM
Breast pads of you leak? An item of your baby? I used to bring like a sock of theirs to look at.lol is that weird?
KREX0914
by Bronze Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 4:13 PM

That might actually help! Yesterday was just orientation. All I did was think of her and I started leaking ... So a picture or item of her might help because I don't respond to pumps all that well. Thank you :)

Quoting Kristen.Marie: Breast pads of you leak? An item of your baby? I used to bring like a sock of theirs to look at.lol is that weird?

RocknRoll.Rose
by Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 4:17 PM
Nursing pads for your bra. I leaked like an old bathtub when I nursed.

And what in the hell is mother's milk tea?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KREX0914
by Bronze Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 4:27 PM

It's a tea made of fennel, anise, coriander, fenugreek and blessed thistle. I bought it at the grocery store. Someone told me it helps stimulate milk production. It couldn't hurt to try, right?

Quoting RocknRoll.Rose: Nursing pads for your bra. I leaked like an old bathtub when I nursed. And what in the hell is mother's milk tea?

RocknRoll.Rose
by Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 4:34 PM
Hmm. I've never heard of it. No I guess it wouldn't hurt.

Quoting KREX0914:

It's a tea made of fennel, anise, coriander, fenugreek and blessed thistle. I bought it at the grocery store. Someone told me it helps stimulate milk production. It couldn't hurt to try, right?

Quoting RocknRoll.Rose: Nursing pads for your bra. I leaked like an old bathtub when I nursed. And what in the hell is mother's milk tea?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 5:10 PM
Remember that normal output for a missed feeding is .5-2 ounces from both breasts combined. Your baby will need 1-1.25 ounces per hour of separation fed in 2-3 ounce portions every 2-3 hours. Always use the slowest flow newborn nipple, baby held in a sitting position, bottle parallel to the floor, baby burped after every ounce. Look up "Bottlefeeding the Breastfed Baby" on Kellymom.com and print off a copy for your caregiver.
KREX0914
by Bronze Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 5:21 PM

Thanks for the tips! I'm using the Medela 0-3 nipples that the NICU gave me. Thoughts on those?

I missed a feeding yesterday for orientation (3 hours). When I got home and pumped I got out 5 ounces! I was so proud of my boobs lol I'm sure it won't always be like that but it gave me a boost in confidence :)

Quoting MusherMaggie: Remember that normal output for a missed feeding is .5-2 ounces from both breasts combined. Your baby will need 1-1.25 ounces per hour of separation fed in 2-3 ounce portions every 2-3 hours. Always use the slowest flow newborn nipple, baby held in a sitting position, bottle parallel to the floor, baby burped after every ounce. Look up "Bottlefeeding the Breastfed Baby" on Kellymom.com and print off a copy for your caregiver.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Aug. 7, 2014 at 6:48 PM

Quoting KREX0914:

I start a new job (my first job since I gave birth) next Friday. I’ll be pumping, so I need to hear from veteran moms who have accomplished both EBF and working full-time simulatniously. What supplies do I need to bring to work to successfully keep my darling angel EBF?-

Pump and pieces - Include EXTRAS... wash nothing at work, ever. Waste of time, and sometimes the sinks at work make port-a-potties look clean! Put the dirties in a plastic bag and wash at home. 

Cooler- Ice packs- Storage bags-  Yep to all...

Pumping bra (so I can work and pump)- Never had one of those.

Tampons (unrelated, but in case my period decides to reappear at work)- I'd actually bring pads as well. I found it was needed.

Granola bars and mother’s milk tea (for my afternoon snack)- A bag of some sort to store all of these things inIs that too much to bring? Am I forgetting anything? What did you take with you?

You're bringing more than I did. **grin** I think you'll be fine. Anticipation tends to be worse than the actual doing.

KREX0914
by Bronze Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 7:19 PM

Good call on the plastic baggies :)  I'm going to have to work on the computer and pump simultaniously because I'll be running the office pretty much alone. I found a thing online, maybe on Kellymom, about using hair ties with a nursing bra instead of a pumping bra. I'm gonna practice that at home for a bit.

Do you think I'm bringing too much? What did you bring?

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting KREX0914:

I start a new job (my first job since I gave birth) next Friday. I’ll be pumping, so I need to hear from veteran moms who have accomplished both EBF and working full-time simulatniously. What supplies do I need to bring to work to successfully keep my darling angel EBF?-

Pump and pieces - Include EXTRAS... wash nothing at work, ever. Waste of time, and sometimes the sinks at work make port-a-potties look clean! Put the dirties in a plastic bag and wash at home. 

Cooler- Ice packs- Storage bags-  Yep to all...

Pumping bra (so I can work and pump)- Never had one of those.

Tampons (unrelated, but in case my period decides to reappear at work)- I'd actually bring pads as well. I found it was needed.

Granola bars and mother’s milk tea (for my afternoon snack)- A bag of some sort to store all of these things inIs that too much to bring? Am I forgetting anything? What did you take with you?

You're bringing more than I did. **grin** I think you'll be fine. Anticipation tends to be worse than the actual doing.

sal26
by Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 7:34 PM
I pumped sitting at the computer. I used the 2 shirt method ( regular sports like bra) while I pumped. I felt more covered up in case someone walked in. I also had a single manual so I pumped with 1 hand and did some typing with the other. .this seemed to help my output. instead of watching the milk flow, keep your mind on work. use baby item to get the flow going, then turn attention. I would check every few minutes before switching sides.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN