Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

How long is it okay...

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2014 at 7:11 PM
  • 11 Replies

for toddlers to go without having a poopy diaper? My ds is 15 months old. He gets probably about 40% bm/ 60% table food. The only other liquid he drinks is water, but he doesn't drink a lot.

I work full time, but I still pump once a day for him, so he gets 3-4 oz while I'm at work, and I probably nurse him 4-6 times while we're home. Anyway, he barely has a poopy diaper still, at this age. He hasn't had one this time since last Wednesday. His average has been about once a week or longer. It doesn't bother him a lot until the day that he ends up going, and then he does get fussy for quite a while.

When my girls went from primarily breastfeeding to table food, they struggled for a little while, but by this age, they were going with no trouble. Thoughts?

by on Aug. 7, 2014 at 7:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 7:35 PM
What is he eating by way of solids?
Jojie
by Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 8:32 PM
He eats fruit, cheese, and vegetables for the most part . I try not to give him many grains bc I'm afraid that will make things worse. He eats lunch and dinner, sometimes breakfast.
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 8:35 PM
It sounds like he's fine. Maybe cut back on the cheese, that might help.
If you were going that infrequently it'd be a little uncomfortable for you too. It doesn't sound like a problem. You can give him some plums or prunes every few days to push him to go every few days instead of once a week.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 8:35 PM
Op answered you but didn't quote.

Quoting MusherMaggie: What is he eating by way of solids?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jojie
by Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 8:49 PM
He eats cheese once a day. Do you think that's too much?

Quoting polkaspots: It sounds like he's fine. Maybe cut back on the cheese, that might help.
If you were going that infrequently it'd be a little uncomfortable for you too. It doesn't sound like a problem. You can give him some plums or prunes every few days to push him to go every few days instead of once a week.
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 9:21 PM
Not at all, but cheese and all other dairy foods as well as grains can cause constipation. Since your little one is going so infrequently that he's having discomfort I'd remove the foods that are contributing to it and focus more on produce. You're not doing anything wrong at all. His body is just having trouble digesting normal food.

Quoting Jojie: He eats cheese once a day. Do you think that's too much?

Quoting polkaspots: It sounds like he's fine. Maybe cut back on the cheese, that might help.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jojie
by Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 10:05 PM

Okay, thank you. I think I will pick up some plums tomorrow!

Quoting polkaspots: Not at all, but cheese and all other dairy foods as well as grains can cause constipation. Since your little one is going so infrequently that he's having discomfort I'd remove the foods that are contributing to it and focus more on produce. You're not doing anything wrong at all. His body is just having trouble digesting normal food.
Quoting polkaspots: It sounds like he's fine. Maybe cut back on the cheese, that might help. If you were going that infrequently it'd be a little uncomfortable for you too. It doesn't sound like a problem. You can give him some plums or prunes every few days to push him to go every few days instead of once a week.

polkaspots
by Gold Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 10:28 PM
You should. Plums are my second favorite fruit, after bananas.

Quoting Jojie:

Okay, thank you. I think I will pick up some plums tomorrow!

Quoting polkaspots: Not at all, but cheese and all other dairy foods as well as grains can cause constipation. Since your little one is going so infrequently that he's having discomfort I'd remove the foods that are contributing to it and focus more on produce. You're not doing anything wrong at all. His body is just having trouble digesting normal food.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LittleRed80
by Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 11:13 PM

My Dr. has always told us to pay more attention to the consistency of the stool rather than the frequency. If they are hard rather than soft, dehydration could be the issue as well as lack of fiber. 

Analugojana
by Christine on Aug. 8, 2014 at 8:46 AM
Pears do the trick for my dd. Somebody else asked this: :how are his stools? How does he act when he poops?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)