Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Eating too much, not gaining the weight

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2014 at 8:28 PM
  • 27 Replies

First....I DONT want too hear my kid is being fed too much.  I realize this, that is part of why I'm posting this.  

I overproduce, I started working last month, have since stopped but should start again by September.  While working I pimped 3 times daily, 1x before, 1x during and 1x after work.  Up until the last week I produced around 5oz - 7oz each time (so 15-21 oz total for the next day) the last week i started pumping 9oz each time.  From 9:30 am (he was fed around 630-730 from the breast) to 330-430 pm he would eat ALL the milk pumped (from a bottle of course).  I would then pump when I got home and feed him somewhere from 530-630.

He then got fed from the breast the rest of the night.  We don't co-sleep, with the exception of a few hrs a night, only if he doesn't sleep all night.  He is fed on demand, but it's me pulling him out of bed to feed, him sleeping with me for a few hrs and then being put back in the crib or staying with me until I get up depending on what time he gets into the bed.  Total feedings from the boob are probably 5 or 6.

We started feeding solids on a regular schedule mid July, we tried some in June, but now it's everyday.  I just can't keep up with him.  He's gaining weight but not the way you would think with the way he's eating.  He's gaining MAYBE 1/2 a lb a month, if that.  He didn't gain any weight for over three weeks, he actually lost weight.

my question is, do you guys know of anything that could cause such an appetite with such little gain that I need to ask the doctor to check?  He's growing height wise like a weed though.  6 months old Tuesday and he's already grown 8 or 9 inches,

by on Aug. 7, 2014 at 8:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ceckyl
by Kyla on Aug. 7, 2014 at 8:44 PM
In guessing he gained tons in his first 6 months of life. It evens out. What's his total weight history from birth?
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 8:45 PM
First of all, we need the complete weight history, including lowest weight after birth. Secondly, we need a 24 hour diaper count, wet and poopy. Thirdly, two pictures of his mouth: one with the top lip turned up, and one with his mouth open, like when he's crying, so we can check for ties.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 8:49 PM
Re-read the post. He started solids a bit soon, and is probably getting too much. Purees and spoon feeding are not necessary. Give him small pieces of whatever you're having, say, at supper time. Always nurse before solids before one year of age. No grains until closer to a year. Solids given too soon and in too great a quantity can cause a drop in gain because before a year, babies cannot digest them as well as breastmilk.

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Aug. 7, 2014 at 8:52 PM

Quoting JaimieP:

First....I DONT want too hear my kid is being fed too much.  I realize this, that is part of why I'm posting this.  

:-) Let's see what's going on first.

I overproduce, I started working last month, have since stopped but should start again by September.  While working I pimped 3 times daily, 1x before, 1x during and 1x after work.  Up until the last week I produced around 5oz - 7oz each time (so 15-21 oz total for the next day) the last week i started pumping 9oz each time. 

HOLY MOLY! That's SOME output!

From 9:30 am (he was fed around 630-730 from the breast) to 330-430 pm he would eat ALL the milk pumped (from a bottle of course).  I would then pump when I got home and feed him somewhere from 530-630.

He then got fed from the breast the rest of the night.  

So he's getting 30+ ounces per day. If he WASN'T nursing at night I'd be concerned. Reading on...

We don't co-sleep, with the exception of a few hrs a night, only if he doesn't sleep all night.  He is fed on demand, but it's me pulling him out of bed to feed, him sleeping with me for a few hrs and then being put back in the crib or staying with me until I get up depending on what time he gets into the bed.  Total feedings from the boob are probably 5 or 6.

Hmmm.... that feels like less than I'd like to see, but I want to read on.

We started feeding solids on a regular schedule mid July, we tried some in June, but now it's everyday.  I just can't keep up with him.

Keep up with him in breastmilk or in solids?

He's gaining weight but not the way you would think with the way he's eating.

How much is he getting in solids? I'm not clear on that.

He's gaining MAYBE 1/2 a lb a month, if that.  He didn't gain any weight for over three weeks, he actually lost weight.

And this happened in conjunction with the solids? Actual ounces lost or are we talking percentiles? (Percentiles don't matter.) How was the gain before that? There IS a slowdown in the second six months. And we have seen babies LOSE once they start solids, especially jarred foods or cereal. Baby's innards aren't ready for cereal, and jars are more water than anything else. 

my question is, do you guys know of anything that could cause such an appetite with such little gain that I need to ask the doctor to check?  He's growing height wise like a weed though.  6 months old Tuesday and he's already grown 8 or 9 inches,

He MAY simply be growing up and not out, if you take my meaning. But the common wisdown is when things don't work right after making a change, change it back and see what happens. 

Do google BABY LED SOLIDS... these are the kinds of foods to give him, never on a spoon. Let him self-feed. But if you're seeing actual loss and can pinpoint it to the starting of solids, I'd cut the solids for a while and stuff him on breastmilk, because the nutrients are more easily absorbed and thre are more calories.

polkaspots
by Gold Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 9:23 PM
I would suggest cutting back on the solids and the milk in the bottles to encourage him to nurse more. He's not gaining because he just went or is still going through a huge growth spurt. He was burning a ton of calories just growing. I'm assuming he's gained a pound per month since he's eating so much, so you have no reason to worry about the current low gain. It's a plateau and completely normal since you know he's eating enough. He's making milestones, right? How old is he?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SissyMacK
by Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 9:57 PM

Has he started crawling yet?  Mine all slow down on the weight gain and increase the intake when they get mobile.  Busy little people burn a lot of calories. 

JaimieP
by Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 10:19 PM

So I'm answering both your things here.

he was 7lbs 2oz at birth, dropped to 6.8.  Within 4 days went upto 7.3. He doubled his weight at 4 months.  He has no ties, we've been to 3 lactation consultants because he has a host of problems and was in the hospital for a bit when he was 6 weeks.  He's now 17.1 lbs, but all through July he was 16.5 and didn't gain any weight.

he was 3 weeks past due, (now they're saying 4), so like preemies they give him an adjusted age of a month older.  While he will be birth age of 6 months this coming Tuesday, they're saying he's closer to 7 developmentally and physically.  He gets no more than 1/2 a jar (or 1-2 oz depending on jar size) and so far only once per day.  Today we did twice but he only had about 4 bites each time.  He's so far eaten 8 times from the breast and had two 5oz bottles.

its more the large amount of milk he's eating that's concerning me.  By my calculation, he eating close to 50-60 oz in a 24 hour period.  I think that's way too much, but of course all the charts I've seen are for ff babies.

Quoting MusherMaggie: Re-read the post. He started solids a bit soon, and is probably getting too much. Purees and spoon feeding are not necessary. Give him small pieces of whatever you're having, say, at supper time. Always nurse before solids before one year of age. No grains until closer to a year. Solids given too soon and in too great a quantity can cause a drop in gain because before a year, babies cannot digest them as well as breastmilk.

JaimieP
by Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 10:24 PM

He's far surpassing milestones lol.  He's already talking lol.  Little words like yeah, no, yes, and hi.

trying to walk, almost crawling (on beds he's crawling but he doesn't like the hard floor lol).  Anywhere from 1/2lb to 3lbs.  It's more the intake I'm concerned about because it's so much.  I can't keep up and I'm a crazy over producer.

Quoting polkaspots: I would suggest cutting back on the solids and the milk in the bottles to encourage him to nurse more. He's not gaining because he just went or is still going through a huge growth spurt. He was burning a ton of calories just growing. I'm assuming he's gained a pound per month since he's eating so much, so you have no reason to worry about the current low gain. It's a plateau and completely normal since you know he's eating enough. He's making milestones, right? How old is he?

polkaspots
by Gold Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 10:30 PM
You have to slowly decrease the amount you're giving to give him time to adjust. From your post he's going nine hours in between nursing sessions while you're at work, and you're leaving twice the amount of milk he needs.

Quoting JaimieP:

He's far surpassing milestones lol.  He's already talking lol.  Little words like yeah, no, yes, and hi.

trying to walk, almost crawling (on beds he's crawling but he doesn't like the hard floor lol).  Anywhere from 1/2lb to 3lbs.  It's more the intake I'm concerned about because it's so much.  I can't keep up and I'm a crazy over producer.

Quoting polkaspots: I would suggest cutting back on the solids and the milk in the bottles to encourage him to nurse more. He's not gaining because he just went or is still going through a huge growth spurt. He was burning a ton of calories just growing. I'm assuming he's gained a pound per month since he's eating so much, so you have no reason to worry about the current low gain. It's a plateau and completely normal since you know he's eating enough. He's making milestones, right? How old is he?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Aug. 7, 2014 at 10:33 PM
Those bottles are a bit large. I.doubt he's taking.five ounces at the breast each and every time he nurses; they take different amounts at different times based on their hunger.

If I'm understanding correctly, he was something like 14 pounds 4 ounces at four months, which put him about three pounds over average at that point. If he's 15 pounds or so now, he's still ahead. Drop the purees. They are not necessary. If he can sit in a high chair unassisted, has lost the tongue thrust reflex, and can use pincer grasp to put food in his own mouth, give him small pieces of whatever you're having only after a full nursing session. Doesn't have to be every meal or even every day at this point. I would split the bottles while you're at work into three at three ounces each. The last should be given no closer than 1 1/2 hours before you return. The slowest flow newborn nipple should always be used. Baby is held sitting, bottle parallel to the floor, burping after every ounce. See "Bottlefeeding the Breastfed Baby" on Kellymom.com for more information.

He's doing just fine.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)