Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Please help me! What am I doing wrong??

Posted by on Aug. 8, 2014 at 10:38 AM
  • 11 Replies

Ladies, please help.  I gave birth two weeks ago to twins and am at home alone with them all day.  I always wanted to breast feed but my twins had a very poor latch so the lactation consultant at the hospital told me to pump for them and that way I save my nipples (lol) and the babies are getting what they need.  But here's the thing: with two crying newborns, I'm run off my feet all day with them... when one finally goes down, the other is up and I just can't seem to pump every 2-3 hours.  It's exhausting, miserable, and so stressful watching the clock all day for when I need to pump because I was told in the hospital that if I don't pump every 2-3 hours, my supply will dry up and that'll be it for breast milk.

I'm so overwhelmed.  Please help.. any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

by on Aug. 8, 2014 at 10:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Aug. 8, 2014 at 10:49 AM
2 moms liked this
Nice of the lc to chalk it up to an unfixable bad latch and recommend pumping! I wouldn't go back to her. What is wrong with the latch? Is it just painful? Were your babies checked for lip and tongue ties?
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Aug. 8, 2014 at 10:56 AM
2 moms liked this
Work on the latching. Get an SNS (Supplemental Nursing System) so they can receive whatyou pump at the breast. You can feed them at the same time.by using the ffootball position. A pillow under each of your forearms will help. If you need to, start with one feeding at a time nursing, then finish off with an ounce of supplement. Diaper count tells you how much they're getting. You want a minimum of six every twenty four hours with at least two quarter sized poops. Anything bigger than a quarter or extra wet counts as two diapers. Look for the book "Mothering Multiples" from La Leche League. At LLLI.ORG you will be able to find more information about nursing, and groups that meet near you. Also Google."Find an IBCLC" (Internationally Board Certified Lactation Consultant). An IBCLC has the greatest amount of training and experience, particularly with unusual circumstances. Hopefully, some of the other moms nursing twins will chime in.
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Aug. 8, 2014 at 11:34 AM
I would definitely try latching again, and get help from a ibclc. Skin to skin helps as well. You can do this :)
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Aug. 8, 2014 at 11:56 AM

The only thing you did wrong was listen to the hospital LC. Unfortunately, the ones at the hospitals tend to not be very good; the equivalent of docs who'd amputate for a hangnail. Pumps are HARDER on the nipples than babies!

Google FIND AN IBCLC to find some GOOD help near you.

jjchick75
by Silver Member on Aug. 8, 2014 at 12:05 PM
I'm going to agree with the others, find a IBCLC. You were given bad advice. Have them checked for tongue and lip ties. I have twins and they are 3 and still breastfeeding. I can't imagine trying to pump for twins! Good luck and congrats!
mamabens
by Miranda on Aug. 8, 2014 at 2:35 PM

What they said ^

KREX0914
by Bronze Member on Aug. 8, 2014 at 2:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Breastfeeding is a team sport and you need a new coach :)

I would get a new LC and put them to breast as much as possible. Work on proper latch. My nipples didn't really "adjust" until about 6 weeks. I used Earth Mama Angel Baby Natural Nipple Butter and an SNS until we got it down. 

Have you tried different positions? I find my LO latches best in certain positions.

rsmom2511
by Member on Aug. 8, 2014 at 4:56 PM
Thank you so much for the responses. I guess I need to revisit breastfeeding. The pumping is killing me. My girl hurts me when shes on the breast and my nipples get so red and sore. I also figured expressing milk for night feedings would save time as they both take forever on the breast. I'm just exhausted.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Aug. 8, 2014 at 5:01 PM
Get in bed with them and just nurse and cuddle. At two weeks, that's all you're supposed to do right now. Put snacks and drinks.within reach for yourself, and diaper changes for the babies. The more they nurse the better your supply will be.
Allisonc7910
by Member on Aug. 8, 2014 at 8:17 PM
The sore nipples will be temporary. I used nursing butter you can find at Walgreens or cvs or nipple shields. Everyone gave good advice, especially nursing them to establish a good supply. When I pumped it wasnt near as what I was making nursing.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN