Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Look at his latch!!!

Posted by on Aug. 9, 2014 at 9:11 PM
  • 18 Replies
1 mom liked this

First time I really nursed him.

I had the lactation nurse come help me to see how he was doing so it was documented how he did so they can't say he won't be able ot breastfeed. He latched beautifully, he sucked, he swallowed and did amazing.

Lactation consultant sees no issues why he'll have any issues nursing when they let him nurse for feeds. I pumped before hand, and he still was able to get a let down going and get more milk then he was supposed too. A few minutes after he nursed, I had the nurse pull out the food from his NG tube because he wasn't supposed to get more then 2ml/CC's.... they got a 17cc risidual... with no idea how much he'd already passed through his stomach.... so the doctor refed a couple CC's back and said we'd have to talk about next weekend since he sucks too good and I make too much milk even after pumping.

There's no such thing as "non-milk" sucking... it's just "drown baby" or "don't completely drown baby" LOL

by on Aug. 9, 2014 at 9:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
locaporbebe
by Member on Aug. 9, 2014 at 9:14 PM
Beautiful!!!
kajira
by Silver Member on Aug. 9, 2014 at 9:26 PM
3 moms liked this

JackAttacks
by Angel on Aug. 9, 2014 at 9:33 PM
1 mom liked this
Looks perfect. He's so beautiful. I'm so glad you're both doing well.
Jojie
by Member on Aug. 9, 2014 at 9:42 PM
1 mom liked this
This is so sweet! I love all these great updates. :)
BraniOut
by Member on Aug. 9, 2014 at 10:27 PM
1 mom liked this
Both of you are amazing!
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Aug. 9, 2014 at 11:43 PM
1 mom liked this
He's getting to be a pro! :-)
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Aug. 10, 2014 at 12:03 AM
1 mom liked this
He's looking great. You're both doing so well! :-)
kajira
by Silver Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 9:02 AM

I just wish he was closer to coming home. It gets harder and harder to leave him at the hospital now that he's so big and functional. It's hard to understand why such a healthy looking baby, who's developmentally stable/okay and past his due-date is still going to be there for a few more months. :( 

Quoting mostlymaydays: He's looking great. You're both doing so well! :-)

tairakittie
by Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 9:55 AM
Go Wyatt go!! Hopefully he will get to come home sooner now that he is doing so well. What would happen if you tried to discharge him against medical advice in a couple weeks? Im so glad he is doing so well! He is quite the chunker now, how is his oxygen/breathing?
kajira
by Silver Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 10:05 AM

He needs to be up to full volumes, my husband and I actually did talk about when we'd consider signing him out AMA - we need his oxygen/stats to be 100% stable, even if he came home on oxygen. The only way I'd sign him out AMA is if they were giving us a hard time about breastfeeding and that's the only reason he wasn't released yet - and i'd immediatelly follow up with his pediatrician.

When he's up to full feeds, we'll go from there. he's at 1.5 ML per hour, and needs to be at bolus feeds of 45-60ml per 3 hour period in order to eat properly.

They don't want to feed him faster, we'll see what happens, the plan is to go up on his feeds 2x a week.

I think monday they plan at going up 1.5 ml per feed, so he'll be at 6ml per 3 hours... then thursday either 3 or 5... so either 9 or 11 ML's per feed split over 3 hours.

With his digestive track never having had large quantities of food in one sitting, we need to be cautious while they get him up to full feeds, he's had no issues breastfeeding - so once he's at full volume and is healthy enough, I wouldn't have an issue signing him out if they were being retarded about letting him go home at that point, but I won't do it before I'm 100% ready he's ready for it.

Quoting tairakittie: Go Wyatt go!! Hopefully he will get to come home sooner now that he is doing so well. What would happen if you tried to discharge him against medical advice in a couple weeks? Im so glad he is doing so well! He is quite the chunker now, how is his oxygen/breathing?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN