Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

OT introducing utensils

Posted by on Aug. 9, 2014 at 9:30 PM
  • 9 Replies
How on earth do you do this? He has always self fed with his hands. I started giving him a spoon to play with now but how do I teach him what to do with it? He just chews it like a teether.He's 1yr.
by on Aug. 9, 2014 at 9:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
JackAttacks
by Angel on Aug. 9, 2014 at 10:23 PM
Bump.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Aug. 9, 2014 at 11:27 PM

Just give him time. It may be a while before he uses utensils as anything but drumsticks.

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Aug. 9, 2014 at 11:37 PM
Mine were closer to two and started out putting things on the spoon with their hands. You have to give the fine motor skills time to develop. Let him sit with you at table and watch. He will get it when he's ready.
JackAttacks
by Angel on Aug. 10, 2014 at 12:07 AM
So basically don't worry about it he'll get it in his own time
MissSarah04
by Sarah on Aug. 10, 2014 at 12:22 AM
Exactly!

Quoting JackAttacks: So basically don't worry about it he'll get it in his own time
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 1:18 AM
I started giving utensils when I started solids. I start encouraging them to use them all the time at one and then enforcing that they use them around two years old.
Ds started eating almost everything with a fork because he didn't like his hands getting dirty.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Analugojana
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 8:15 AM
Just like you teach any other skill. You do it yourself in front of them all the time and they'll imitate when they are ready. My 21 month old uses a spoon regularly - not perfectly, of course, but good enough. At one though she would try but it was mostly a miss. She never allowed me to spoon feed her.
jaxons_mama
by Allyson on Aug. 10, 2014 at 7:52 PM
I was just thinking about this the other day. With DS I gavevhime a spoon to hold when he ate at round 8 months but he didnt get the hang of it till closer to 2. Dd is almost 14 months and she will hold the spoon for about a minute then she throws it in the floor. I think it gets in the way of eating!! I figure when she is ready I will know.
GodsAmiga
by Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 8:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Just keep giving it to him. :-) Show him how to use it a couple times if you want but then let it go. All my kids started using utensils correctly at different times but I think most kids figure it out sometime between 1 and 2 so a big age gap in which to learn. :-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN