Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Spirulina

Posted by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 9:46 AM
  • 4 Replies

DD is 26 months old and still nurses frequently. I'd like to start using spirulina powder. Possibly daily. Will that be safe since there is a possibility of detox?

by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 9:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
gdiamante
by Gina on Aug. 10, 2014 at 12:51 PM

Detoxes are supposed to be off limits during nursing. Since yours is still nursing frequently, I'd skip it.

Analugojana
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 2:22 PM
1 mom liked this
Spirulina by itself should not create any detox. It is an algae with very concentrated nutrition. I had a bit of a reaction to it, like I had too much coffee. Go slow, with a very small amount and see how you both react.
Jewls08
by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 11:19 AM
1 mom liked this
It's actually very healthy while nursing, and supposed to make milk more rich with nutrients!
I'm taking it in smoothies. Just watch out for a brand you use, many of them are contaminated with heavy metals. The brand that's really clean and was actually laboratory tested for heavy metals is spirulina pacifica from nutrex hawaii
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Aug. 11, 2014 at 12:06 PM
2 moms liked this

I would not recommend using this while breastfeeding. The last time I was asked about this, I called the infant risk center and Dr. Hale didn't recommend it at that time ( a couple years ago) due to some recent reports of toxicity he had read. He didn't have much data on it and couldn't say it was safe. If you are serious about taking it, I would call the infant risk center and ask them if there's any recent research on its safety.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)