Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do I stop him....

Posted by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 12:22 PM
  • 18 Replies
from using me as a pacifier?! He won't take the pacis we got him!!!
He never really cared about the soothies, & took to the MAM pacis really well in the beginning. Then I had to stop the paci & do a nursing vacation & now he won't take a paci unless he is sleepy & even THEN he won't keep it in his mouth! AJ will sign for milk & 1/2 the time its just to use me as a paci. It's gotten to the point where I can't get squat done around the house without him crying for my boobs!!!

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 12:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LeapBaby123
by Kathleen on Aug. 10, 2014 at 12:43 PM
You don't :)

But for real, it's totally normal. My LO has never taken a paci and is attached constantly during naps and at night. Do you babywear? It's a lifesaver.
gdiamante
by Gina on Aug. 10, 2014 at 1:00 PM
1 mom liked this

He doesn't use you as a pacifier. Babies use pacifiers as moms. Maybe that's why Disney feels no compunction over killing mothers in its movies; mom can so easily be replaced with a piece of rubber or plastic!

Getting things done? Heh heh heh. Mine weaned 13 YEARS ago... I still don't "get things done." Part of the toll of being Mom!

Seriously, SLING. It's a required piece of equipment. 

MaryJarrett
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 1:05 PM
1 mom liked this
Do you have a baby carrier? My ring sling was heaven sent for nursing while doing things.

It sounds like you had a previous supply issue so I would be very weary of having that happen again.
Barb87
by Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 1:46 PM
I wear him quite frequently! I have a Moby wrap, I have an infantino ecosash & I have a sling I made. He gets worn at least once a day everyday! As far as my supply goes, he doesn't seem to nurse during the day, just uses me as a paci & makes up for the lack of daytime nursing at night. I'd rather him use a paci than make my nipples hurt from him using them as pacis. At least that way I can get him to actually nurse. I can't even pump because he doesn't give me the opportunity to do so!!! I have even basically minimized his solids in an attempt to keep him nusring until at least 1yr old. His tummy can't handle formula. We tried different kinds & different brands in the beginning because my colostrum never came in & had to supplement. 5hank God for sns kits, right? I am going to start taking fenugreek again & add blessed thistle tomy routine. & him being jaundiced to the point of near hospitalization didn't help matters any.
4girlsmum
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 1:51 PM

I taught mine the sign for "all done"........and then used distraction.....he still does it, but not all day, just during naps....I have learned if you let them nurse all day, they will...LOL

MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 2:51 PM
One important piece of information--how old is he?
Barb87
by Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 3:01 PM
Quoting MusherMaggie: One important piece of information--how old is he?

8momths old on the 18th
Analugojana
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 4:03 PM
1 mom liked this
Based on the age you should not limit time at the breast. Until he's 12 monthshe should set the frequency he needs to. You're doing a great thing. We all know is very hard but all things worthy of doing are hard.

Quoting Barb87:
Quoting MusherMaggie: One important piece of information--how old is he?

8momths old on the 18th
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 4:06 PM
Prime time for separation anxiety. I would just go with the flow. He won't be this little for long. If he's teething, treat that pain. It may help him nurse longer. I used to go in a dark, quiet room with mine at that age for a lie down nursing. We were more relaxed and nursing was more efficient.
Barb87
by Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 4:28 PM
Quoting MusherMaggie: Prime time for separation anxiety. I would just go with the flow. He won't be this little for long. If he's teething, treat that pain. It may help him nurse longer. I used to go in a dark, quiet room with mine at that age for a lie down nursing. We were more relaxed and nursing was more efficient.

That would explain why I can't take a shower without DH having to be at the doorway holding AJ so that he can see me (clear shower curtain). But on the same token, AJ is finally going to DH but only for a brief moment before AJ decides to play "baby pingpong" & fighting to say "Papa". The boy has been babbling "pa pa pa pa pa pa" for the last 2 days now.
This separation anxiety is happening at a horrible time!!! We are boarding a plane to go see my SM on Friday!!! She missed his birth due to her being on priority 1 for a kidney & therefore cannot leave her county! If it had come after we came home I wouldn't have an issue. What can I do to nip this in the bud?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)