• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OALD, gas, and all-day crying... I'm going insane!! (PIOG)

Posted by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 1:25 PM
  • 14 Replies

Mobile Photo

I've got some serious issues with over active letdown and it's giving my little booger bad gas, to the point I hear his tummy gurgling and he cries constantly. My husband jokingly refers to him as out little fart machine, but I don't see it as funny.
He's a month old and I've tried almost all the remedies I can for his bad gas. Bicycling his legs, pressing them against his tummy different positions while nursing, holding him on my shoulder to burp him, and bouncing him around but nothing seems to be working!! It keeps me awake at night with all the straining and grunting he does trying to get it out, but no luck!

HELP!
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 1:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Analugojana
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 2:10 PM
Have you tried to nurse reclined, with the baby on top of the breast? This would slow down your flow a bit. It's easier to remedy the flow than the effects in the baby. Maybe you could try a bit of block feeding as well (nursing from one breast only for several feedings and then switching to the other). Block feeding reduces the supply so it has to be done carefully and stopped immediately when the OAL is reduced.
Closet_Case
by Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 2:31 PM
I tried reclined feeding and he gets frustrated because he can't get the latch quite right.

Quoting Analugojana: Have you tried to nurse reclined, with the baby on top of the breast? This would slow down your flow a bit. It's easier to remedy the flow than the effects in the baby. Maybe you could try a bit of block feeding as well (nursing from one breast only for several feedings and then switching to the other). Block feeding reduces the supply so it has to be done carefully and stopped immediately when the OAL is reduced.
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 2:31 PM
Reclined nursing: you lean back, he goes tummy-to-tummy with you vertically rather than horizontally, mouth over rather than under the nipple. Block feeding: use one side only for a few hours/feedings, then the other side for the next few. Pump out method: pump yourself "dry" once first thing in the morning, then reclined nursing the rest of the day. As your body realizes it's not feeding a village, your supply willl regulate.
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Aug. 10, 2014 at 2:32 PM
If block feeding alone doesn't work you can try the FDBF method (full drainage and block feeding). The research is very hopeful for those of us who have a hard time getting results with block feeding alone:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2075483/
Closet_Case
by Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 2:32 PM
I guess this is what I get for pumping for twins the first time around...

Quoting MusherMaggie: Reclined nursing: you lean back, he goes tummy-to-tummy with you vertically rather than horizontally, mouth over rather than under the nipple. Block feeding: use one side only for a few hours/feedings, then the other side for the next few. Pump out method: pump yourself "dry" once first thing in the morning, then reclined nursing the rest of the day. As your body realizes it's not feeding a village, your supply willl regulate.
Closet_Case
by Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 2:33 PM
I tried block feedng before but all is it all in accomplishes is him getting frustrated because he can't get anything out by the second or third feeding, or he falls asleep from trying

Quoting mostlymaydays: If block feeding alone doesn't work you can try the FDBF method (full drainage and block feeding). The research is very hopeful for those of us who have a hard time getting results with block feeding alone:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2075483/
Analugojana
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 2:47 PM
For reclined nursing start from a regular position, latch and then recline.
LittleRed80
by Silver Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 12:23 AM
Look up Grunting Baby Syndrome. My son had this. I thought it was my milk, too, but it was really just his immature gut (he was a preemie, but it's not always specific to preemies) He had to grow out of it. I never slept either.
Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Aug. 11, 2014 at 11:28 AM
Try nursing laying on your side as well. Hang in there!
Also, try and see a chiropractor for him.
Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Aug. 11, 2014 at 11:30 AM
Also. Babywearing helped my crying, gassy babies :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)