• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

We made it two weeks so far. Just a small question

Posted by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 1:48 PM
  • 8 Replies

Mobile Photo

My son is almost 2 weeks old a ebf. He is doing very we'll but the last couple days I noticed he's been spitting up a lot. Like I barley got him up I burp and t came out his nose and everything. Is there something I can't do to help smooth his tummy I'm afraid he is either getting to much an that y he I spitting up or he is throwing it all up and not getting enough to stay down.

Oh and I know two weeks us nothing but I couldn't ebf my first two so thus is an acomplishment for me.
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 1:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
lilmama8408
by Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 1:54 PM
My youngest will be 4 weeks tomorrow and he does that a lot but he's still gaining weight.

I think it's from my letdown being to strong or something. Doc wasn't concerned I asked since he's gained weight
nana-to-9
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 1:57 PM
1 mom liked this

That can happen if they swallow a lot of air when the milk flows fast.  It always looks like much more milk than it really is when it comes up that way.  Over time if he gains weight...it is really just a nuisance.  Things you can do to minimize it if you feel the need to do anything....take frequent breaks while nursing and burp the baby and move him very slowly off the breast to your shoulder for burping.  Some moms will try to bring the milk down with massage first...then latch the baby as it might help a little...that seems like too much work for me!

sounds like you are doing an awesome job..just keep doing what are doing!

-ex nursing mom, nurse and lactation consultant. 😊

Analugojana
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 1:59 PM
1 mom liked this
Congratulations! IsYour letdown strong and do you leak/spray when that happens? I suspect you have a bit of an oversupply, which is normal in the beginning. If so, nurse reclined, with baby on top of the breast, not under it. This slows the flow down a bit and the baby can cope better. You can also unlach the baby at the initial letdown and let the milk flow a bit in a burp cloth. It should subside around 3-4 months. If he's not crying with that spit up, it's just a laundry problem, no concern.
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 2:44 PM
1 mom liked this
Overactive letdown/oversupply. Reclined nursing: you lean back, he goes tummy-to-tummy with you vertically rather than horizontally, mouth over rather than under the nipple. As long as he doesn't seem upset by it, it's not hurting him. Diaper count will tell you what he is getting; 6-8 per 24 hours with at least two quarter sized poops. Anything bigger than a quarter or extra wet counts as two diapers.
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Aug. 11, 2014 at 12:54 PM
1 mom liked this
This!

And 2 weeks is not nothing! Congrats on making it this far, 2 weeks is a great accomplishment! :-)

Quoting MusherMaggie: Overactive letdown/oversupply. Reclined nursing: you lean back, he goes tummy-to-tummy with you vertically rather than horizontally, mouth over rather than under the nipple. As long as he doesn't seem upset by it, it's not hurting him. Diaper count will tell you what he is getting; 6-8 per 24 hours with at least two quarter sized poops. Anything bigger than a quarter or extra wet counts as two diapers.
locaporbebe
by Bronze Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 1:11 PM
1 mom liked this
They all gave you great advice. I just wanted to say. Every day of Breastfeeding is an accomplishment. Congrats on your 2 weeks.
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Aug. 11, 2014 at 1:29 PM
1 mom liked this
Yep yep, this :-)

Quoting MusherMaggie: Overactive letdown/oversupply. Reclined nursing: you lean back, he goes tummy-to-tummy with you vertically rather than horizontally, mouth over rather than under the nipple. As long as he doesn't seem upset by it, it's not hurting him. Diaper count will tell you what he is getting; 6-8 per 24 hours with at least two quarter sized poops. Anything bigger than a quarter or extra wet counts as two diapers.
MaryJarrett
by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 2:13 PM
Exactly this!

And 2 weeks is HUGE! Great work!!! ♡♡♡♡

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)