Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pumping

Posted by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 5:37 PM
  • 7 Replies
I'd like to start pumping and freezing a stash. I'd just like some advice or direction. I've pumped twice and got 2.5oz and 1oz. But I'm afraid of pumping and then not having enough for when he's hungry. I normally nurse him from one breast and then pump the other until the milk stops coming on it's own.

Can I pump and put it in the refrigerator, and then pump and mix it so the container is fuller before I freeze it?

Should I pump more often or will I eventually just make more as baby needs more?
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 5:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 6:29 PM
Breastfeeding works by demand and supply. When sucking or pumping happens, milk is made. .5-2 ounces from both breasts combined per 15-20 minute.session is normal. Baby needs 1-1.25 ounces per hour of separation fed in 2-3 ounce portions every 2-3 hours. Use the slowest flow newborn nipple always. Baby is held sitting, bottle parallel to the floor, burping after every ounce. This never changes, no matter the age of the baby.

You can add milk from a session to what you have already pumped as long as you cool it first. Some moms freeze the milk in ice trays (1 cube is 1 ounce), then pop the cubes out and put them in freezer bags. This means less waste. You don't need a huge stash--this encourages overfeeding. You should not be in the building if the baby is getting a bottle. You should be somewhere pumping while the baby is getting a bottle.

Look up "Bottlefeeding the Breastfed Baby" on Kellymom.com and print off a copy for your caregiver.
sjenkins8208
by Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 6:31 PM
Thank you. Answered most of my confusion

Quoting MusherMaggie: Breastfeeding works by demand and supply. When sucking or pumping happens, milk is made. .5-2 ounces from both breasts combined per 15-20 minute.session is normal. Baby needs 1-1.25 ounces per hour of separation fed in 2-3 ounce portions every 2-3 hours. Use the slowest flow newborn nipple always. Baby is held sitting, bottle parallel to the floor, burping after every ounce. This never changes, no matter the age of the baby.

You can add milk from a session to what you have already pumped as long as you cool it first. Some moms freeze the milk in ice trays (1 cube is 1 ounce), then pop the cubes out and put them in freezer bags. This means less waste. You don't need a huge stash--this encourages overfeeding. You should not be in the building if the baby is getting a bottle. You should be somewhere pumping while the baby is getting a bottle.

Look up "Bottlefeeding the Breastfed Baby" on Kellymom.com and print off a copy for your caregiver.
polkaspots
by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 1:02 AM
I'd suggest using breastmilk storage bags and pumping once a day in the morning. Supply is highest then.
I pump once every morning and at work. I used storage bags until I started working, then I started saving it in glass milk bottles. As long as the milk is all cold when it gets combined you're fine. For freezing milk you should use smaller sized containers because a bottle is only two to three ounces. You don't want to have to thaw out a six ounce bottle if you only need to or three.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Aug. 11, 2014 at 2:04 AM
I agree with Maggie!!!^^^

You will always have enough milk for your baby when he wants to nurse. More milk is made as it is removed from the breasts. You don't have a set capacity that empties then there's nothing. You can pump then nurse immediately if baby demands. He might have to work a bit harder for the letdown than normal, but the milk WILL be there for him!
There's no need to pump more often unless you're separated from your baby. He won't actually start drinking more milk. The milk will change to meet his growing needs in the same amount of milk.
gdiamante
by Gina on Aug. 11, 2014 at 5:08 PM

Quoting sjenkins8208: I'd like to start pumping and freezing a stash.
Fair warning: Big stashes tend to lead to [problems with caregivers overfeeding. Make sure your caregivers have read the Kellymom article on how to bottlefeed the breastfed baby.
I'd just like some advice or direction. I've pumped twice and got 2.5oz and 1oz.
Perfect. That's a feeding. I like keeping it simple. One pump = one feeding. no matter what you got in that session. It really keeps things simple.
But I'm afraid of pumping and then not having enough for when he's hungry.
That can only happen if you follow the pump session with doses of estrogen or breast removal surgery. **smile** There will ALWAYS be enough.
I normally nurse him from one breast and then pump the other until the milk stops coming on it's own. Can I pump and put it in the refrigerator, and then pump and mix it so the container is fuller before I freeze it?
Cool to same temp first. DO NOT mix cooled and fresh. Which is why I go with "one pump = one feed." Just easier all around. You don't have to give it any thought.
Should I pump more often or will I eventually just make more as baby needs more?

Baby forever needs 1 - 1.25 ounces per hour. That will NEVER change. The milk does instead. Cool, huh?

sjenkins8208
by Member on Aug. 11, 2014 at 5:29 PM
Thank you for making that easy!

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting sjenkins8208: I'd like to start pumping and freezing a stash.
Fair warning: Big stashes tend to lead to [problems with caregivers overfeeding. Make sure your caregivers have read the Kellymom article on how to bottlefeed the breastfed baby.
I'd just like some advice or direction. I've pumped twice and got 2.5oz and 1oz.
Perfect. That's a feeding. I like keeping it simple. One pump = one feeding. no matter what you got in that session. It really keeps things simple.
But I'm afraid of pumping and then not having enough for when he's hungry.
That can only happen if you follow the pump session with doses of estrogen or breast removal surgery. **smile** There will ALWAYS be enough.
I normally nurse him from one breast and then pump the other until the milk stops coming on it's own.

Can I pump and put it in the refrigerator, and then pump and mix it so the container is fuller before I freeze it?

Cool to same temp first. DO NOT mix cooled and fresh. Which is why I go with "one pump = one feed." Just easier all around. You don't have to give it any thought.

Baby forever needs 1 - 1.25 ounces per hour. That will NEVER change. The milk does instead. Cool, huh?

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Aug. 11, 2014 at 11:43 PM

Pumping plus nursing just means your body makes more and baby will get plenty

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)