Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sooo devastated

Posted by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 5:51 PM
  • 17 Replies

Gonna have to get a job ASAP. Meaning if I don't pump enough milk to cover the time I work I'm gonna have to go to formula which isn't something I want to do. Dd is a great breast feeder she latches great and gains weight just great. Not ready to wean yet and neither am I. Idk what to do. I'd give anything to be a stay at home mom and continue ebf my dd.

by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 5:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TiffanyRose06
by New Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 5:54 PM
Get a good pump. I went back to work when my baby was 7 weeks old, he's almost 7 months now and ive pumped that whole time

It sucks, but doable. Good luck
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Aug. 10, 2014 at 6:15 PM
She only needs 1-1.25 ounces per hour of separation. That works out to 8-10 ounces for an eight hour shift. When you get your pump, pump first thing in the morning before, during or after the first morning feeding, workday or not. Pump every three hours while away. Bottles should be 2-3 ounces given every 2-3 hours. Always use the slowest flow newborn nipple. Baby is held sitting, bottle parallel to the floor, burping after every ounce. This never changes, no matter the age of the baby. Look up "Bottlefeeding the Breastfed Baby" on Kellymom.com and print off a copy for your caregiver. You've got this, mamma! :-)
LeapBaby123
by Kathleen on Aug. 10, 2014 at 6:15 PM
I work 12-hr shifts and my 7month old is still EBF! Get a good pump (double electric), pump every 2-3 hours at work. Baby only needs 1-1.25oz per hour of seperation (8-10oz) for an 8 hour work day.
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Aug. 10, 2014 at 6:22 PM
I work full time and have gone back to work at 12 weeks post partum after both of my children and neither of them have ever had formula. I pumped until my daughter turned a year old
am still pumping for my 9 month old son. You can do it too! You only need to leave a max of 1.25oz per hour for the time you're gone, in bottles no larger than 3oz. Make sure the slowest flow nipple is used and have your caregiver use the paced feeding technique. Almost every mother who feels she needs to supplement what she can't pump, is actually overfeeding. How old is your baby? Do you have a pump yet?
Riddlette
by on Aug. 10, 2014 at 6:25 PM

She's 3 months will be 4 on the 24th of this month. Yes I do.

polkaspots
by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 1:09 AM
Start pumping once every morning. Save in breastmilk bags in the freezer. Start looking for good oat based snack recipes. I prefer oatmeal cookies. I keep them in the fridge and pop two in the toaster oven when I wake up. Then I eat them before my morning pump session. I get about four ounces from that session from my left which doesn't get used at night.
I also put ground oats in my fruit smoothies to take to work with me. It helps me get more out of my lunch break pump session.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Aug. 11, 2014 at 2:20 AM
I agree with everyone else!^^^
What pump do you have?
Riddlette
by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 2:57 AM

I'm not sure. Also depending on where I get a job they may not let me pump there and or if they do they might not have a fridge for me to store my breast milk in. I know those sound like excuses but there not. My hubby says his job doesn't have a fridge in the break room and he works at a food establishment.

Riddlette
by on Aug. 11, 2014 at 2:58 AM

And the breast pump is a medila one but I'm not sure the type. It's pretty big and light yellow and box shaped

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Aug. 11, 2014 at 7:48 AM
You don't need a fridge. I have one in my office and don't even use it. Get a little cooler and cold packs. If your company has 50 people on their entire payroll, they're required to allow pumping breaks. If not, use your regular breaks to pump.

Quoting Riddlette:

I'm not sure. Also depending on where I get a job they may not let me pump there and or if they do they might not have a fridge for me to store my breast milk in. I know those sound like excuses but there not. My hubby says his job doesn't have a fridge in the break room and he works at a food establishment.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)