Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I can't handle night time feedings anymore

Posted by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:01 AM
  • 15 Replies

My daughter is 16 months old and cutting several teeth, at least 2 canines and 2 molars. Maybe all 4 of each (she won't let me get a good look right now) We have bedshared since she was born, and most nights she will wake once or twice and go back to sleep after a quick feeding.

In the last week she has been nursing all. night. long.  My nipples are raw. If I try just rolling over in bed she will climb over me and get to the breast again. She won't sleep in her crib alone, but if I'm not in bed she sleeps just fine with df. I've even gone and slipped out of bed a few nights to "hide" from her in the middle of the night just to give my nipples a break and actually sleep. She won't take a pacifier at night, and just plays with it during the day....I need help!! As of right now I'm dreading even sleeping in the same room as her tonight and may end up in my boy's room or on the couch.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KREX0914
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:41 AM

I haven't been there yet but could you give her tylenol and/or orajel before bed time? Maybe she would gnaw on you less?

Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:44 AM

thats hard, I have been t here., many times!  :( Maybe you can take a break and have your DH do the night time comforting for one night?

GoldenLinds
by Bronze Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:51 AM
I absolutely went through this. And I was a single mom at the time so there was no escape. I actually switched over to giving him a nighttime bottle for this reason even though I knew the potential havoc it could do to his teeth. I needed something to give me a break. I also would flip to my stomach when he would stir and pretend to be asleep. Surprising butit worked a good portion of the time. Not right away but afyer a min hed stop fussing and pulling on me. But I also didnt have a bedmate to piss off. It did ease up in a few months though. It was a phase like any other. Good luck. And dont feel guolty for running away to sleep. I would too!
mommaslilmen
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:52 AM

I do, it all wears off in hours and then its back to pacifier

Quoting KREX0914:

I haven't been there yet but could you give her tylenol and/or orajel before bed time? Maybe she would gnaw on you less?

mommaslilmen
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:55 AM

She refuses to take a bottle, I can try her sippy cup.  Ive tried flipping to my tummy, but as long as I'm in bed she cries for me, as soon as I'm out of sight she's fine

Quoting GoldenLinds: I absolutely went through this. And I was a single mom at the time so there was no escape. I actually switched over to giving him a nighttime bottle for this reason even though I knew the potential havoc it could do to his teeth. I needed something to give me a break. I also would flip to my stomach when he would stir and pretend to be asleep. Surprising butit worked a good portion of the time. Not right away but afyer a min hed stop fussing and pulling on me. But I also didnt have a bedmate to piss off. It did ease up in a few months though. It was a phase like any other. Good luck. And dont feel guolty for running away to sleep. I would too!

gdiamante
by Gina on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:26 AM
1 mom liked this

Teething pain is worst at night. You could stop nuyrsing this second, but it won't stop the nighttime waking. Much of this is only cured by time (and mom switching to survival mode, doing ONLY that which is needed for continued breathing and NOTHING more than that... as if you've had a really serious bout of the flu). BUT symptoms can be relieved by administering infant Motrin or Tylenol before bedtime. Yes, it will wear off and you'll have to do it again. Nothing safe will make her sleep all night till she's ready to. But it will make things easier.

No orajel; it makes the gums tougher and actually makes things worse. But Hylands teething tablets and/or an amber teething necklace or bracelet can help. So can raw sweet onion rubbed on the gums.

mommaslilmen
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 1:09 PM

She wears an amber necklace, I'm working on getting her an amber bracelet too.

I dont want to wean her, and understand shes in pain,,,i'm still cutting wisdom teeth and those hurt. My thing is she doesn't cry and sleeps great if i'm not in my bed, she just cuddles up with my df. As soon as I come back to bed she's hunting me down again.

Quoting gdiamante:

Teething pain is worst at night. You could stop nuyrsing this second, but it won't stop the nighttime waking. Much of this is only cured by time (and mom switching to survival mode, doing ONLY that which is needed for continued breathing and NOTHING more than that... as if you've had a really serious bout of the flu). BUT symptoms can be relieved by administering infant Motrin or Tylenol before bedtime. Yes, it will wear off and you'll have to do it again. Nothing safe will make her sleep all night till she's ready to. But it will make things easier.

No orajel; it makes the gums tougher and actually makes things worse. But Hylands teething tablets and/or an amber teething necklace or bracelet can help. So can raw sweet onion rubbed on the gums.

jaxons_mama
by Allyson on Aug. 13, 2014 at 1:26 PM
1 mom liked this
If she is fine and will go right back to sleep if you are not there then I would be sleeping somewhere else for a while till her teeth are through and she stops waking. I wish my dd would sleep with daddy and not cry for the boob. She is almost 14 months and still wakes around 6 times a night! I'm exhausted! Good luck!
Analugojana
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 1:28 PM
1 mom liked this
I may be unpopular here but if she's not crying for you when she's with your boyfriend you can take a break. She's over one so she should be fine to sleep through the night and this is a gentle way to do it.
gdiamante
by Gina on Aug. 13, 2014 at 3:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Nope, you're very sensible! THis is the way to go!

Quoting Analugojana: I may be unpopular here but if she's not crying for you when she's with your boyfriend you can take a break. She's over one so she should be fine to sleep through the night and this is a gentle way to do it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)