Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Milk protein allergy help!!

Posted by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:48 AM
  • 25 Replies
My first ds had a milk protein allergy, among other tummy issues, and being young I didn't question the doc wanting to put him on formula. I stopped bf him at 3 months. Now I have a 4 week old who has shown signs of having issues when I eat dairy (reallllly gassy and fussy, can't poop) sobs have eliminated dairy in my diet, now he has no issues.

My question, if any of you ladies can help, is how do I ensure I'm getting and giving my ds the proper nutrients with a dairy free diet? I'm hesitant about asking my kids pedi, I don't want them to try to put him on nutramigen too, I really want to stick with breastfeeding this time around. And to me, it seems like the pedi's aren't as knowledgeable as they maybe could be when it comes to breastfeeding.
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gdiamante
by Gina on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:22 AM
1 mom liked this

By continuing to do PRECISELY as you are! You're already perfect! There's nothing in dairy that you can't get in other food sources, and YOU will suffer before baby ever does.

Relax,. carry on. And you're right.... your ped knows less than you do if you've spent one week reading this group.

annieb863
by Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:32 AM
Lol thank you for the support and encouragement :) I didn't do enough research the first time around and I know it. So I'm trying to make sure I have all the info I need this time.

Quoting gdiamante:

By continuing to do PRECISELY as you are! You're already perfect! There's nothing in dairy that you can't get in other food sources, and YOU will suffer before baby ever does.

Relax,. carry on. And you're right.... your ped knows less than you do if you've spent one week reading this group.

Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 11:53 AM

My youngest has a dairy allergy.  I just eliminated all of it.  He is 20 months and still has it.  He drinks almond milk, eats non-dairy yogurt/cheese, and I read labels very carefully with him.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

annieb863
by Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:04 PM
My oldest grew out of it thankfully!! I'm drinking almond milk now though :-) and non dairy cheese as well. This might sound stupid, I didn't know they had non dairy yogurt?! Lol. Where do you buy that??

Quoting Mom2Just1:

My youngest has a dairy allergy.  I just eliminated all of it.  He is 20 months and still has it.  He drinks almond milk, eats non-dairy yogurt/cheese, and I read labels very carefully with him.

K8wizzo
by Kate on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:05 PM
Dairy is just convenient vehicle for protein, calcium, and fat. Get those from other sources like meat, fortified orange juice, and well, fat is easy. :) By the way, nutramigen is made from milk protein so most kids with dairy allergies need elemental formulas like neocate or ekecare. Breastmilk is much cheaper, healthier, and easier. My youngest had allergies to milk, soy, and eggs, and after the first few weeks of adjustment it was second nature. I used to say that we were vegan with meat, lol.
Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:24 PM

We have a healthy life market and they sell it. The brand is called "So Delicious!"  My son loves yogurt so we pay way too much but he loves yogurt! I was very lucky and our ped recongnized his allergy and helped us out a lot!  She told me the best thing for him to continue to nurse and I did for 18 months. He self weaned because of my pregnancy.  We have also spoken to many vegans to help us with it. We are still new with this and learning as we go.  Our first we never dealt with anything like this.  Our whole family has cut out diary for Milo.

Quoting annieb863: My oldest grew out of it thankfully!! I'm drinking almond milk now though :-) and non dairy cheese as well. This might sound stupid, I didn't know they had non dairy yogurt?! Lol. Where do you buy that??
Quoting Mom2Just1:

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

annieb863
by Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:25 PM
I didn't know about the nutramigen, so I just googled it, lol. It says the milk protein is so broken down that most babies bodies don't recognize it for what it is. That might explain why my oldest still got constipated from it from time to time.

But yes, part of the reason I want to stick to breastfeeding is the cost, I won't lie. And it is so so so much easier than dealing with formula. And I truly enjoy breastfeeding my babies.

I just wasn't sure of there was anything specific I should be eating (?) lol. I did what I thought was best at time time for my oldest, so I want to do what I think is best for my new little one.

Quoting K8wizzo: Dairy is just convenient vehicle for protein, calcium, and fat. Get those from other sources like meat, fortified orange juice, and well, fat is easy. :) By the way, nutramigen is made from milk protein so most kids with dairy allergies need elemental formulas like neocate or ekecare. Breastmilk is much cheaper, healthier, and easier. My youngest had allergies to milk, soy, and eggs, and after the first few weeks of adjustment it was second nature. I used to say that we were vegan with meat, lol.
Rosehawk
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:26 PM

I can't help with your question about what to do about the dairy issue, none of my kids have any allergies or sensitivities.

I can attest that pediatricians can be jerks. My baby is 11 weeks 4 days old. She lost almost 10% of her body weight in the hospital before we went home, so the hospital was a little concerned. At her 2 week check she still wasn't at her birht weight, but HAD gained weight. The pediatrician I took her to all but forced me to take a can of formula home with me. She didn't like that my baby wasn't at or above her birth weight and kept insinuating that I had a supply issue and that's why she wasn't where she "should" be.

The appointment was on a Friday. I was supposed to supplement with formula over the weekend, and come back and get her weight checked on Monday. I took the sample can, threw it into the bottom of the diaper bag and promptly forgot about it.

At 2 1/2 weeks Baby Girl had passed her birth weight. At her two month check, with the Family Practice doc I wanted from the beginning, she had gained one ounce shy of 3 pounds, and 3.75 inches from her birth height/weight.

We as Moms know our children best. Not all of them will fit into the box of what is "supposed" to happen. The doctor/pediatrician spends just a few minutes with our children. We spend hours and days with them. We all need to trust our Mommy Instincts more. We know what we're doing.......for the most part.

Amycapl
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:28 PM
I'm vegan and my almost 1 year old is a perfectly healthy little nugget 😊. You can get protein from beans and chick peas, avocado, hemp and sunflower seeds, nut butters. Calcium is abundant in broccoli and dark leafy greens.
MommyJill87
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:30 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm a vegan and nursing my chubby 8 month old. You do not need dairy!!! Casein is a horrible thing. Pinterest is amazing for dairy free resources!!! Just read those labels. Dairy is in everything.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)