Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Advice needed

Posted by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 6:50 PM
  • 12 Replies
My son is 5 weeks old. He was born weighing 8lbs 7.8oz. He dropped to 7lbs 10oz after birth. Last week we had an appointment, he weighed 8lbs 7oz. Today, he was 8lbs 7.5oz. He only gained 1/2oz in 9 days. I've had him checked for lip/tongue ties, and have been told he looks great.
My pediatrician is concerned that he's burning too many calories in attempt to eat. She's referred us to another pediatrician who is also a LC. In the meantime, she wants me to pump and bottle feed, and offer the breast if I want, after he's the bottle. My problem is I only have a hand pump right now. I can get a couple good bottles, but then it drops to about an ounce, give or take. I don't think I could possibly pump enough to satisfy him. Suggestions on what to do? Will an electric pump do better? My other concern is that he will start to prefer the bottle. He can drain 3oz from a bottle in no time at all, while nursing usually lasts 45minutes, and he's hungry again in an hour. I don't want to stop nursing, but he obviously isn't thriving by breast alone. Help!
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 6:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hismommy2010
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 6:56 PM
Have you tried to nurse longer? My lc and midwife told me the "back" milk has more fat. I always fed until he stopped. Worked fine and he was always growing & gaining.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:07 PM
Take a picture of his mouth with the top lip turned up and one with his mouth open, like when he's crying. We may be able to see ties the doctor couldn't. How many wet and poopy diapers does he have in 24 hours?
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:09 PM
He has gained a pound over the lowest weight after birth. I would suggest a nursing holiday. Keep him skin-to-skin with even when not nursing, and nurse at every wiggle. He should be hitting another growth spurt soon. Was he jaundiced at birth?
lovebugs_mom906
by Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:10 PM
I leave him on one side until he pops off, or falls asleep and is just comfort nursing. I tickle his toes or tap his cheeks to keep him awake to finish eating. He will nurse on one side for 20-30 minutes.

Quoting hismommy2010: Have you tried to nurse longer? My lc and midwife told me the "back" milk has more fat. I always fed until he stopped. Worked fine and he was always growing & gaining.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:11 PM
The length of time he's nursing says ties to me.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:11 PM

Quoting lovebugs_mom906: My son is 5 weeks old. He was born weighing 8lbs 7.8oz. He dropped to 7lbs 10oz after birth.
OK, good so far. Was that discharge weight or one-week weight? Helps to have dates to go with this. We expect loss of 10-12% in week one. If the 7/10 was the one week weight, then we'd expect him to be 8/6 at the four week appointment...
Last week we had an appointment, he weighed 8lbs 7oz.
Good.
Today, he was 8lbs 7.5oz. He only gained 1/2oz in 9 days.
Same scale? Thaty's always our first question because different scales and even different times of day can give you a different reading! If it's a different scale, pay NO ATTENTION. I'm not particularly worried here because he didn't LOSE. I'd be worried if there was loss. Stasis isn't alarming.
I've had him checked for lip/tongue ties, and have been told he looks great. My pediatrician is concerned that he's burning too many calories in attempt to eat. She's referred us to another pediatrician who is also a LC. In the meantime, she wants me to pump and bottle feed, and offer the breast if I want, after he's the bottle.
Not seeing any reason for that unless he was born with health problems?
My problem is I only have a hand pump right now. I can get a couple good bottles, but then it drops to about an ounce, give or take. I don't think I could possibly pump enough to satisfy him. Suggestions on what to do?
Keep nursing. Frankly, docs are pretty poor advisors. Tell me about dipes. You should be seeing 6-8 changes per day, with a couple of poops in the mix.
Will an electric pump do better? My other concern is that he will start to prefer the bottle. He can drain 3oz from a bottle in no time at all, while nursing usually lasts 45minutes, and he's hungry again in an hour. I don't want to stop nursing, but he obviously isn't thriving by breast alone. Help!

Sounds to me like he IS thriving, actually. His weight today is three ounces off what I'd expect it to be. If you never laid him on a scale (and scales are the most dangerous places to put baby... he'd be safer on a railroad track with an oncoming train approaching)... if he never got weighed, what would you be thinking right now?

Google "Look at the baby not the scale." Excellent article by Dr. Jay Gordon.

And in the meantime, completee weight history, please, with dates and notations if he was ever put on a different scale.

lovebugs_mom906
by Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:16 PM
He was jaundiced - he still is.

Quoting MusherMaggie: He has gained a pound over the lowest weight after birth. I would suggest a nursing holiday. Keep him skin-to-skin with even when not nursing, and nurse at every wiggle. He should be hitting another growth spurt soon. Was he jaundiced at birth?
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:32 PM
The jaundice ecplains the sleepiness. I'd still like to see some pictures of his mouth, if nothing else, to rule out the ties.
lovebugs_mom906
by Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:39 PM
He's sleeping right now, but I'll get some when he wakes up.

Quoting MusherMaggie: The jaundice ecplains the sleepiness. I'd still like to see some pictures of his mouth, if nothing else, to rule out the ties.
Luvmy2babies22
by Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:54 PM
I'm no help with the breastfeeding stuff but check and see if your health insurance provides you with a free breast pump. I just got a double Medela for free! I got it within 2 days.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)