Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need Help

Posted by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:33 PM
  • 5 Replies
My DD is 3 months old tomorrow. I'm back to work full time. She is on formula and breastfeeding only during the middle of the night. The last two nights she's stopped and resists nursing every time. What can I do to make her nurse again. I placed her back on #1 nipples by Dr Brown and take fenugreek twice a day, 620mg. Please any advice would be appreciated!
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:38 PM
How much formula is she getting? How long are you separated each day? Are you able to pump at work? It does sound like she's developed a bottle preference, but we can work her out of it if we know more.
LauraG
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 8:37 PM
She's getting just under 20oz while I'm at work for 8hrs. I'm only able to pump 2-4oz while gone.
gdiamante
by Gina on Aug. 13, 2014 at 8:59 PM

Whoa. No wonder she doesn't want to eat at night; she's getting a LOT during the day. Baby's total daily need is 24-30 ounces! She's getting most of that in eight hours.

Have the caregiver start trimming the formula back. She should be getting about half as much as she is.

bekaanne0524
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:07 PM
If you're only pumping 2-4 oz over 8 hours your supply may be going down. Nursing is very much supply and demand. She may be less interested in nursing because there's less milk there. You may want to look up ways to increase you supply, try to pump more often and consider if you need a better pump.
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 10:20 PM
1 mom liked this
Bottles should be no larger than three ounces. The slowest flow newborn nipple should always be used. Baby is held sitting, bottle parallel to the floor, burping after every ounce. See "Bottlefeeding the Breastfed Baby" on Kellymom.com for more information.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)