Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I need some good info! Fast!

Posted by on Aug. 14, 2014 at 9:47 AM
  • 31 Replies
My niece is 17 and had her first baby. She is trying to breastfeed. Baby's latch is beutiful and baby is having tons of diapers, but still loosing weight.

Baby has lost 9.5% of birth weight and doctors are telling her if he hits 10% they want her to supplement.

Mom was induced and received fluids. I already told her that it is so normal for babies to lose more weight when mom had fluids. But I need good articles to back this up.

I already told her that if they insist on getting her to supplement to use breastmilk.

Oh and baby was born at 11am on Tues 8/12.

I believe moms milk is coming in today because she says every time she nurses on one side milk sprays out the otherside.

I'm going to see her Saturday and plan on bringing her some milk savers.
by on Aug. 14, 2014 at 9:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 9:55 AM
Up to 13% loss is normal with IV fluids. Can you keep her away from medical professionals for the next few days? Sounds like the ones she has are quite uninformed about breastfeeding. Tell her to stay in bed with him skin-to-skin and nurse at every wiggle. Is he pooping? There should be something in the resources sticky and on Kellymom.com about normal weight loss after birth.
Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 9:57 AM
She's still in the hospital they haven't been discharged yet. The pediatrician at the hospital wants her to follow up and do a weight check tomorrow.

She has received such terrible advice.

Like that the baby needs to be on schedule and all sorts of stuff.

Quoting MusherMaggie: Up to 13% loss is normal with IV fluids. Can you keep her away from medical professionals for the next few days? Sounds like the ones she has are quite uninformed about breastfeeding. Tell her to stay in bed with him skin-to-skin and nurse at every wiggle. Is he pooping? There should be something in the resources sticky and on Kellymom.com about normal weight loss after birth.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 9:57 AM
Baby is TWO DAYS OLD and they're looking for gain already? He's only supposed to have 2 or 3 diapers today, and two quarter sized poops! Can you be with her?
Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 10:01 AM
Not until Sat.

She lives 3 hours away and I ave to take my oldest to school.

I don't think they want to see a gain by tomorrow but they want to check his weight and make sure he doesn't go below that 10% mark.

Yesterday he pooped twice and had 4 pee diapers.

Today he has pooped once, but it was a blow out and he's had 3 pee diapers.

Quoting MusherMaggie: Baby is TWO DAYS OLD and they're looking for gain already? He's only supposed to have 2 or 3 diapers today, and two quarter sized poops! Can you be with her?
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 10:02 AM
See if she can conveniently get out of there without a weight check. Do you have a sling or wrap you can lend her? She shouldn't let the baby out of her sight. Can she check out AMA?
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 10:04 AM
He's making way over diaper count already. Maybe she can tell them milk and soy allergies run in the family so he can't have formula. Is there an IBCLC in her area? You can Google "Find an IBCLC" and see.
Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 10:07 AM
Well they are discharging her today but want her to bring baby to the dr tomorrow.

I gave her a Moby for her baby shower and I'm
Taking her a ring sling Saturday

Her dad is also a factor here. He is very much "listen to the doctors."

Quoting MusherMaggie: See if she can conveniently get out of there without a weight check. Do you have a sling or wrap you can lend her? She shouldn't let the baby out of her sight. Can she check out AMA?
Ms.Pteranodon
by Silver Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 10:11 AM
I told her if they is it on supplementing to do so with expressed milk.

I will look up IBCLC but it sounds like her latch and everything is right. I think he's just losing a lot of weight because of a lot of extra fluids.

And the hospital she is at us ridiculous.

Yesterday he was circ and he didn't want to nurse a lot. He nursed for 20mins on one side. 3.5 hours later he nursed for 7mins and the so called "lactation consultant" said if they couldn't get him to nurse more they were going to give him formula.

I told my niece to smash her clocks and watch her baby. That she was doing a great job.

Quoting MusherMaggie: He's making way over diaper count already. Maybe she can tell them milk and soy allergies run in the family so he can't have formula. Is there an IBCLC in her area? You can Google "Find an IBCLC" and see.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 10:12 AM
She needs to tell dad to back off. And she can decline the weight check. Hopefully, if she keeps nursing him at every wiggle, he won't drop any further, though it would be perfectly normal. Does she have access to our forum?
jaxons_mama
by Allyson on Aug. 14, 2014 at 10:37 AM
Sounds like everything seems good with baby and nursing. I would tell them to back the he** off. But that's how I am! Just a question they can't force her to give the baby formula can they??
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN