Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Tired of smelling like sour milk

Posted by on Aug. 14, 2014 at 2:26 PM
  • 15 Replies
Anyone else feel like they always smell like sour milk? My son is six weeks old so I'm still pretty new to breastfeeding. I feel like myself, my clothes, and my sheets always smell like milk! I try to use nursing pads but it seems like when I feed him i always end up getting some on my bra. At night I leak all over my sheets... It makes me feel gross and I don't have time to be changing my sheets everyday. Any advice?
by on Aug. 14, 2014 at 2:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Aug. 14, 2014 at 2:37 PM

I slept on a towel or on a waterproof pad for a while, one side always leaked during feeds for a while.  I use baby wipes to clean up my chest during the day because I hated that smell too, it was gone by 8-10 weeks for me though

incogNinja
by on Aug. 14, 2014 at 2:38 PM
I was going to say well use nursing pads lol.
I had the same problem with the sheets too. I just started sleeping over a small blanket like a receiving blanket , that way if it got wet I just changed it with another one instead of the whole sheet every time.
Analugojana
by on Aug. 14, 2014 at 3:47 PM
It's going to get better. Formula smells way worse. spit up formula is gross. And when you're done with leaking and start solids you'll stay changing real poop. Parenthood stinks :) Kidding. (((Hugs)))
KiKi-Love
by Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 4:13 PM
I use nursing pads. It helps!
AngryBob
by on Aug. 14, 2014 at 5:46 PM

i always got that same smell when my kids were newborns!! it drove me nuts!!! weird thing is, i'd ask dh, who has a really good nose, and he'd say he didn't smell anything. but i kept smelling it, so i know it wasn't in my head.

it eventually goes away, but i totally understand how you feel!!!

spitfire06
by Bronze Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 5:48 PM
It gets better I promise! !
Rosehawk
by on Aug. 14, 2014 at 5:49 PM

Put a bath towel across your side of the bed. It won't stop ALL the leakage, but it will save your sheets somewhat.

You can also put a cloth diaper, or whatever you use for spit up rags, under your breast to catch the leakage/drips from your nursing baby. You can also cover you other breast with another "rag" for absorption; if you leak like I do. When one side lets down, they both do; with a vengeance.

LittleRed80
by Bronze Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 7:35 PM
1 mom liked this
Nursing pads are great. I also slept on a receiving blanket. Here is another life saver: put a teaspoon of baking soda and add it to a bottle of water. I keep one in the diaper bag and wherever else I think it might come in handy. If you leak or baby spits up just shake up that bottle and dab it on the spot with a burp cloth. It keeps it from staining, but also takes the smell away.
TiffanyJanelle
by Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 8:12 PM
I feel tbe same way and i tried nursing pads but thet don't work when im laying down so I have a soiled bed soiled sheets and soiled shirts forever
newmelly2009
by Melissa on Aug. 14, 2014 at 8:33 PM
This will go away when your milk regulates and you don't leak as much, mine did around 3 months. I remember smelling that too lol
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN