Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

My baby has thrush!

Posted by on Aug. 14, 2014 at 5:29 PM
  • 12 Replies
So my 9 week old baby has thrush I am worried I will get it now in my breast. I am exclusively Breastfeeding I do not have pain only when she latches on starts to suck (sometimes) then it is fine. I have been having some itching in my breast when Breastfeeding but goes away when she is done. I have some Nystain cream that my OB gave me two weeks ago for vaginal itching. Everything I read says doctors will Prescribe Nystain cream for treatment so would you use it or wait for your doctor to call you back ( I left a message for my OB about my DD having thrush and that I have Nystain if I can use that to prevent it from spreading to me).
by on Aug. 14, 2014 at 5:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 5:55 PM
Never mind the doctor. Look up thrush on Kellymom.com. All the best remedies and procedures are there.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 6:01 PM
You will need to treat yourself and your baby. Do not use Nystatin suspension in the baby's mouth. It contains sugar which only feeds the yeast and makes it worse. If you put the Nystatin cream on your nipples, you will have to wipe it off before nursing. Get yourself some probiotic capsules. You can give this to your baby by opening a capsule and mixing the powder with a couple of drops of breastmilk on your nipple so he gets it while nursing. A round of Diflucan (fluconazole) might be a good idea for you, too.
lost2013
by Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 7:29 PM
My OB said to try the cream for myself first if my symptoms get worse to call them back then they will probably call me in something different. I do not have pain feeding her yet. Fingers crossed.

Quoting MusherMaggie: You will need to treat yourself and your baby. Do not use Nystatin suspension in the baby's mouth. It contains sugar which only feeds the yeast and makes it worse. If you put the Nystatin cream on your nipples, you will have to wipe it off before nursing. Get yourself some probiotic capsules. You can give this to your baby by opening a capsule and mixing the powder with a couple of drops of breastmilk on your nipple so he gets it while nursing. A round of Diflucan (fluconazole) might be a good idea for you, too.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Aug. 14, 2014 at 10:07 PM

I personally wouldnt use Nystatin...

lost2013
by Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 10:44 PM
On yourself or your baby and why?

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

I personally wouldnt use Nystatin...

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 12:58 AM
Nystatin cream on the nipples is fine as long as it is cleaned off before nursing. Nystatin suspension for the baby is bad.
lost2013
by Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 2:21 AM
Why is the Nystain for baby bad?

Quoting MusherMaggie: Nystatin cream on the nipples is fine as long as it is cleaned off before nursing. Nystatin suspension for the baby is bad.
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Aug. 15, 2014 at 4:54 AM
The Nystatin suspension they prescribe for the baby is the antifungal in a sugar suspension and the sugar feeds the yeast. It's "bad" because it very often doesn't work and can make the thrush even worse. The LC I saw when we had thrush told me not to waste my time for weeks with nystatin and just cut to the chase and use gentian violet, with handouts she provided off the kellymom.com website.

Quoting lost2013: Why is the Nystain for baby bad?

Quoting MusherMaggie: Nystatin cream on the nipples is fine as long as it is cleaned off before nursing. Nystatin suspension for the baby is bad.
lost2013
by Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 8:42 AM
Can she have that at 9 weeks?

Quoting mostlymaydays: The Nystatin suspension they prescribe for the baby is the antifungal in a sugar suspension and the sugar feeds the yeast. It's "bad" because it very often doesn't work and can make the thrush even worse. The LC I saw when we had thrush told me not to waste my time for weeks with nystatin and just cut to the chase and use gentian violet, with handouts she provided off the kellymom.com website.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Aug. 15, 2014 at 8:42 AM

Makes thrush worse. Like throwing gasoline on a fire. 

Best cures for thrush do NOT come from the doc. You can find 'em on kellymom.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN