Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Moms of Preemies

Posted by on Aug. 15, 2014 at 5:39 PM
  • 14 Replies
I'm 34 weeks 5 days and it looks like baby will come at anytime.

I'm trying to get everything prepared. I want to breastfeed but I know some Preemies have an issue with it. Any moms have any tips from what you went through? Thanks.
by on Aug. 15, 2014 at 5:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
incogNinja
by on Aug. 15, 2014 at 6:10 PM
Days make a big difference. I hope baby stays in as long as possible ! The difference between 33 and 36 weeks for my own kids was breastfeeding and not being able to. So no advice from me, it didn't work out. Good luck to you
Luvmy2babies22
by Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 8:31 PM

My daughter wasn't quite that early.  She was 36w5 days and called a "near termer".  She breastfed beautifully.

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Aug. 15, 2014 at 8:36 PM
I never had a premie. Just wanted to say that I hope baby stays longer :)
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Aug. 15, 2014 at 10:49 PM

You might look up the recent posts by kajira. Her twins were born very premature. Only one of them survived, and she recently started breastfeeding him.

228mommy922
by Member on Aug. 15, 2014 at 11:04 PM
Thanks. I'm measuring two weeks ahead, so I either hope I am further along or that he stays in a bit longer.

I had no problem with my first but she was on time.

Quoting incogNinja: Days make a big difference. I hope baby stays in as long as possible ! The difference between 33 and 36 weeks for my own kids was breastfeeding and not being able to. So no advice from me, it didn't work out. Good luck to you
LittleRed80
by Bronze Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 12:11 AM
I had a 31 weeker. It was tough but he ended up being Ebf. Do you have others? What is making you think baby is coming now?
hip2it
by Bronze Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 12:16 AM
My 32 weeker couldn't nurse. My 34 weeker started with a sns and after about a week was nursing. My 38 weeker and 39 weeker both nursed right away.
228mommy922
by Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 1:21 AM
That's hopeful.

I made it full term with my dd and was induced. Had no problems breastfeeding until I had surgery and my supply dropped.

But I'm dilated to a 4. 90% effaced and have contractions daily. The doctor has me on bed rest. They didn't think they were going to be able to stop labor today but luckily they finally did. The doctor said it's a possibility I will hold out but we need to prepare in case I dont. .

Quoting LittleRed80: I had a 31 weeker. It was tough but he ended up being Ebf. Do you have others? What is making you think baby is coming now?
228mommy922
by Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 1:30 AM
Thank you!

Quoting gdiamante:

You might look up the recent posts by kajira. Her twins were born very premature. Only one of them survived, and she recently started breastfeeding him.

228mommy922
by Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 1:52 AM
I'm really hoping to make it to at least 36 weeks. From what I have read the risks for alot of things drop at that point.

Quoting Luvmy2babies22:

My daughter wasn't quite that early.  She was 36w5 days and called a "near termer".  She breastfed beautifully.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN