Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

No breast milk?

Posted by on Aug. 16, 2014 at 12:10 AM
  • 16 Replies

I might be induced on tuesday at 37 weeks. my question is, i dont see breast milk forming yet? i know they say you get colestrum or what ever it is spelt first, but I dont see anything coming out yet? There is slightly dry white flakes that if i scratch my nipple come out. but not liquid? not breast milk? will i be able to feed my baby? im new to this...

by on Aug. 16, 2014 at 12:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommy2boys03
by Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 12:14 AM
1 mom liked this

I never had anything before either of my boys came but had what they needed when they were born.  Oh and since this is your first time don't be surprised if when your milk comes in if your baby wants to be at your breast all night.  No one warned me with my oldest and I thought there was something wrong and I was starving him.  Thankfully the hospital called for a follow up and the lactation consultant told me what was going on.

LittleRed80
by Bronze Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 12:15 AM
1 mom liked this
It takes a few days after birth before your milk comes in. The most important thing is to put your baby to the breast as soon as you can after birth and as often as you can. And don't give them any formula in the hospital! Their tummies are tiny- the size of a marble. They don't need but a few drops at a time. In the mean time, get yourself a book. I love "The womanly art of breastfeeding"
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Aug. 16, 2014 at 12:16 AM
In 5 pregnancies I've never spontaneously leaked any colostrum. I could squeeze a drop or two out if I really tried. And my babies all nursed without any bottles of supplimentation. After your placenta detaches the hormones change and trigger the change to milk. While not impossible, it's very very unusual for a woman not to produce milk. It's supply and demand; you'll make what your baby demands so put the baby to breast at every little sign of hunger. Colostrum is very thick and sticky and I wouldn't be surprised if you don't see it right now.
lovemytwo88
by Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 12:16 AM
1 mom liked this
You will have plenty of colostrum and breastmilk. The milk wont come in for 3-5 days after birth but be prepared when it does!
leeannfarley
by Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 12:17 AM

okay thanks!

Quoting mommy2boys03:

I never had anything before either of my boys came but had what they needed when they were born.  Oh and since this is your first time don't be surprised if when your milk comes in if your baby wants to be at your breast all night.  No one warned me with my oldest and I thought there was something wrong and I was starving him.  Thankfully the hospital called for a follow up and the lactation consultant told me what was going on.

leeannfarley
by Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 12:18 AM

I just wonder though, if it doesnt come in until after baby here, how will my baby not starve till then

Quoting LittleRed80: It takes a few days after birth before your milk comes in. The most important thing is to put your baby to the breast as soon as you can after birth and as often as you can. And don't give them any formula in the hospital! Their tummies are tiny- the size of a marble. They don't need but a few drops at a time. In the mean time, get yourself a book. I love "The womanly art of breastfeeding"

BraniOut
It took almost 5 days for my milk to come in with my first baby. Just keep nursing.
leeannfarley

ok=] ty

Quoting mostlymaydays: In 5 pregnancies I've never spontaneously leaked any colostrum. I could squeeze a drop or two out if I really tried. And my babies all nursed without any bottles of supplimentation. After your placenta detaches the hormones change and trigger the change to milk. While not impossible, it's very very unusual for a woman not to produce milk. It's supply and demand; you'll make what your baby demands so put the baby to breast at every little sign of hunger. Colostrum is very thick and sticky and I wouldn't be surprised if you don't see it right now.

nocalmegan
by Bronze Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 12:20 AM
1 mom liked this
Baby only needs very little the first few days. My milk didn't come in for three days with both my girls and they weren't starving ;) don't worry

Quoting leeannfarley:

I just wonder though, if it doesnt come in until after baby here, how will my baby not starve till then

Quoting LittleRed80: It takes a few days after birth before your milk comes in. The most important thing is to put your baby to the breast as soon as you can after birth and as often as you can. And don't give them any formula in the hospital! Their tummies are tiny- the size of a marble. They don't need but a few drops at a time. In the mean time, get yourself a book. I love "The womanly art of breastfeeding"

LittleRed80
by Bronze Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 12:24 AM
1 mom liked this

Mobile Photo

That's how it is for every single woman on the planet. Your milk doesn't come in until 3-5 days after the baby is born. Right after birth, their guts are full of meconium. They need those tiny bits of colostrum to expelled that stuff out before they can digest properly. Remember, tiny, tiny stomachs. They can't take in much.

Quoting leeannfarley:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)