Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Breastfeeding in Public Help!

Posted by on Aug. 16, 2014 at 4:35 PM
  • 20 Replies
I have a 3 month old baby and everytime I go out in public I pump and put it in a bottle. I am not sure how to breastfeed her in public. People always stare at me when I have tried doing it and it always makes me feel uncomfortable. Do I use a cover up? Do I just pull out my boob? I am very confused about this she hates the bottle so the majority of the time I don't go out or I go to the bathroom and I feed her there. Thanks for your help.
by on Aug. 16, 2014 at 4:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KME3
by Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 4:38 PM
I use a cover and breastfeed most places. If I'm doing a lot of walking then I'll pump. I don't care what people think.
Serabeth06
by on Aug. 16, 2014 at 4:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Honestly, you just develop a thick skin and go about what you're doing. If it's for your comfort, you can use a nursing cover, but my kids never liked being covered while eating, and I always felt that pulling out some big colorful blanket just put a big 'ol sign over my head that said, "Guess what I'm doing!" I normally wear a nursing camisole under a t-shirt when I nurse in public. I pull the t-shirt up, the cami down just enough for baby to get to the breast, and no extra skin is shown.

Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 4:41 PM

I have always nursed in public. I am pregnant with child number 3.  I use two shirt method and don't give a damn what people think. I dare anyone say anything.  I hate pumping and my kids hate bottles.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

2ndbabyBumpStar
by Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 4:43 PM

Have you tried using two shirts? I've worn a shirt over a spaghetti strap shirt and that works well if you don't like using covers. I've done both depending on the place I am nursing. 

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Aug. 16, 2014 at 4:53 PM
1 mom liked this
Practice in front of a mirror. When you look down at your nursing baby you see boob and nipple and the whole she bang but no one else is looking from that same vantage point. When you look across at the mirror you might realize that all they see is your baby's back and back of its head and people getting ruffled aren't seeing anything anyway and would be just as ignorantly huffy if you used a huge cover because they are upset about something in their imagination. When I'm in public I've usually got the baby in my sling and I'm busy doing 10 other things or surfing on my phone. I don't look around do see if there are rude people staring at me so if they are, they're wasting their ugly faces. ;-p
Vanderhyde
by Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 5:06 PM
Thanks for the advice since she's my first breastfed baby I feel more self conscious about breastfeeding in public and she hates being cover. I'm going to try using 2 shirts hopefully that works.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Aug. 16, 2014 at 7:11 PM

Lift shirt, latch, done. Really, that's all.  No one EVER noticed me. Not that I'd have cared.

jaxons_mama
by Allyson on Aug. 16, 2014 at 7:20 PM
I never used a cover. It tends to draw more attention to whst you are doing. Use the two shirt method. And tank underneath your other shirt. Undo bra, pull tank down from top, then pull outer shirt up just enough to latch baby on. Tank keeps back and tummy coverd and outer shirt will cover the top of your boob. Most people will not even notice what you are doing. And if you need to just turn away from people while you latch baby on in case you are worried that they can see. Also I would not give a bottle while our cause you would have to pump for that missed nursing session in order to keep up supply. I've nursed both my kids in public many many times and have never really had anyone say anything or make me feel uncomfortable. It will get easier with time
angelicmom1984
by Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 7:40 PM
We hate using a cover and I can't seem to get the 2 shirt method lol. I nurse her in as quiet of a spot as I can find if I'm unsure of other people (like when running our garage sale). She's my first exclusively nursing, so I'm just taking it all as it comes lol.
jessi2girls
by Bronze Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 7:46 PM

It's whatever you are most comfortable doing.. my suggestion is to practice a bit more at home.. since you seem uncomfortable right now about it.. try first with just trying to latch her with a cover.. or use a double shirt method (wear a take top and button up for example.. you can lift top and pull down tank top or vise versa)

eventually you will get more comfortable and find a method that works best for you.. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN