Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

New to breastfeeding

Posted by on Aug. 20, 2014 at 7:34 PM
  • 13 Replies

We just found out our last little baby is a girl I was talking to dh about trying to bf this one just to feel whats like. I was looking online for breast pumps I'm going to be home alll the time with her I also have two boys but they're not bfing anymore lol anyway should I buy a breast pump or no?? I'm going to be home anyway, so I shouldn't  have to pump right?? or what kind of pump should I buy. I'm also nervous about bfing in public how did some of you over come that?? Thank you.  

by on Aug. 20, 2014 at 7:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommybear91
by New Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 7:36 PM

Bump clapping

Luvmy2babies22
by Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 7:45 PM
Check with your insurance to see if you can get a free pump thru them. A pump isn't necessary unless you want bm bottles available. However, if you can get a free one, why not have it just in case?

I've never really had an issue bfing in public. I use a cover for my own personal comfort and none of my bf babies have ever had an issue with the cover and no one has ever bothered me while bfing in public. We have also bottle fed all of our kids so if there was a situation where I didn't want to nurse, we had another option.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommybear91
by New Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 7:50 PM

I have medicad right now. Do you WIC would maybe help since they're mainly for breast feeding?? 

Quoting Luvmy2babies22: Check with your insurance to see if you can get a free pump thru them. A pump isn't necessary unless you want bm bottles available. However, if you can get a free one, why not have it just in case? I've never really had an issue bfing in public. I use a cover for my own personal comfort and none of my bf babies have ever had an issue with the cover and no one has ever bothered me while bfing in public. We have also bottle fed all of our kids so if there was a situation where I didn't want to nurse, we had another option.

Luvmy2babies22
by Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 7:53 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm not familiar with that but it never hurts to ask the question! Worst thing they do is say "no". GL!

Quoting mommybear91:

I have medicad right now. Do you WIC would maybe help since they're mainly for breast feeding?? 

Quoting Luvmy2babies22: Check with your insurance to see if you can get a free pump thru them. A pump isn't necessary unless you want bm bottles available. However, if you can get a free one, why not have it just in case? I've never really had an issue bfing in public. I use a cover for my own personal comfort and none of my bf babies have ever had an issue with the cover and no one has ever bothered me while bfing in public. We have also bottle fed all of our kids so if there was a situation where I didn't want to nurse, we had another option.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 8:38 PM
1 mom liked this
You could get by with a manual pump if you can't get one through insurance. It comes in handy when you want to go out without the baby.
As for nursing in public it's pretty easy. I wear tank tops under my shirts so that none of my skin is exposed. The boob comes out of the tank and the shirt goes up and covers the top of my breast and cleavage.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 8:39 PM
Wic helps with pumps. The way they do it here is they give you a medela harmony, which is a manual.

Quoting mommybear91:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Aug. 20, 2014 at 8:40 PM
1 mom liked this
As a SAHM I bf'd 4 babies without pumping and without bottles. Depending on the baby's age, I would bf before walking out the door and have 2-4 hours to get back.
mommybear91
by New Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 9:40 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh ok I'll ask mine if they do it as well.

Quoting polkaspots: Wic helps with pumps. The way they do it here is they give you a medela harmony, which is a manual.

Quoting mommybear91:

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 9:45 PM
1 mom liked this
Educate yourself and your husband. Read posts here and on Kellymom.com. Two books: "So That's What They're For" by Janet Tamaro and "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding" from La Leche League. Go to LLLI.org and see if there is a group that meets near you. Be aware that most medical professionals know little or nothing about breastfeeding; they do not study it in medical school. Your go-to professional is an IBCLC (Internationally Board Certified Lactation Consultant). You can Google "Find an IBCLC" for that.
lauren.m
by Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 9:48 PM
1 mom liked this
I pump and deep freeze it just incase something happens I know she'll still have her milkies. I've never used bottles with my ebf babies since I always made sure I could be home with them. The only pump I've ever responded to is advent manual pumps. Nursing in public doesn't bother me I just wear layers.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)