Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Breastfeeding Past a Year

Posted by on Aug. 20, 2014 at 11:16 PM
  • 36 Replies

My daughter is my first and only child and she turns one in two weeks. I spoke with her pediatrician's nurse and she said that they encourage you to wean your baby between 12 and 15 months. I don't want to stop nursing my baby until she decides she's done. I hate hate hate the idea of denying her if she wants to nurse. Why do they say that? I thought it was okay to nurse longer. 

by on Aug. 20, 2014 at 11:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lovebugs_mom906
by Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 11:19 PM
2 moms liked this
I nursed my last for 23 months, and hope to get that far with this one. I just stopped volunteering that I still nursed because I didn't want to argue. There is nothing wrong with nursing past a year. It's not like 1 is a magic number and they stop needing breast milk once they hit a year. I say go as long as you want to.
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Aug. 20, 2014 at 11:22 PM
4 moms liked this
I would have loved to have heard them explain why they recommend that! Ask them where you can read about this recomendation. ~It still provides nutrition. Still provides antibodies. Still provides bonding and comfort. Nursing until at least 2 is shown to help with better palate development. One year is the *minimum* recommendation. Beyond that most organizations recommend nursing as long as mutually desired.
vermontmoms
by Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 11:23 PM
3 moms liked this
Change peds! That is total BS! The WHO recommends to at least age 2 or beyond.

http://www.who.int/nutrition/topics/exclusive_breastfeeding/en/
jackiewal10
by Silver Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 11:24 PM
3 moms liked this

Because 9 times out of 10, people in the medical field know nothing about breastfeeding.  I would mention to that nurse that the WHO recommends until at least 2 years old.  Also, just because someonein the medical field tells you you should"do something," doesn't mean you have to,  It sounds like you know that, though. :)

JamieMN
by New Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 11:28 PM

Thanks ladies. I actually don't know what my pediatrician thinks and won't see him again until my girl is 13 months old. But his nurse has said something different from him many times before so I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt. But if he says to stop, I'll look for someone else...although I really like him. I hope he doesn't tell me to stop. 

SunshneDaydream
by Bronze Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 11:30 PM
1 mom liked this
Ignore the pedi, she sounds uneducated on the benefits of BF. Nurse your baby as long as works for the both of you. Period.
BraniOut
by Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 11:41 PM
1 mom liked this
Some pedis think that nursing will prevent toddlers from eating regular food, but that's not true. nurse as long as you want.
jackiewal10
by Silver Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 11:42 PM

If this has happened before, I would tell the actual doctor how much his nurse (or nursing staff) contradicts him.  That's bad for his business.

Quoting JamieMN:

Thanks ladies. I actually don't know what my pediatrician thinks and won't see him again until my girl is 13 months old. But his nurse has said something different from him many times before so I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt. But if he says to stop, I'll look for someone else...although I really like him. I hope he doesn't tell me to stop. 

Luvmy2babies22
by Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 11:45 PM
I don't know why they say that but I don't even discusses these issues with my pedi unless I'm worrying about a medical issue. You can do nothing but nurse your baby for years if you wanted. Your child, your choice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 12:03 AM
Being a nurse doesn't mean she knows what she's talking about. Let the doc know what she's spouting.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)