Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Interesting Observation

Posted by on Aug. 21, 2014 at 9:54 AM
  • 16 Replies

Okay I have posted here several times in the past few weeks about my little guy Ryland. He is finally up to 8LBS!!! And thats on my scales and the doctor scales! 
But for the past week or so he has be showing every symptom of reflux. Spitting up, burping and then screaming out, drooling excessively (even more than my older kids did when teething), arching his back and screaming, etc. Which is causing long periods of him crying in pain. And I am not too keen on him crying for very long because of the calories that it burns and his weight issues.
He is strictly on breastmilk that is pumped and then at night I let him have all access to boobs. I have noticed that he only shows signs of reflux after taking a bottle.
I took him to the doctor Tuesday to discuss everything with her and all she said was to put cereal in his bottle. I am still against that for so many reasons. Number one being that when I have tried it, it does upset his tummy. Number two being that I don't see a reason for him having cereal right now. He won't be 4 months old until the 25th of this month, and that is reason number three of why I don't want to give it to him.
So I have decided today that I am just going to feed him at the breasts, see how he does with that, and then weigh him at the end of the day like I have been doing to see if breastfeeding has helped or hurt him. In the beginning, it was burning more calories than he took in, so he would lose weight. But now I think that it will be okay for him to be put back to the breast exclusively.
If my little experiment fails and he still is having reflux symptoms during the day like he has been for the past week, then I will be calling his gastro tomorrow and seeing what she says to do. If she tells me to just put more cereal in his bottle, then I will be making a trip to the children's hospital and demanding that they "fix" him. 

Okay, I am rambling and I know it. LOL Could there be a chance, that he is just going thru the stages that a typical newborn goes thru? With the weight losses and the developmental delays could it be possible that the crankiness and screaming and everything else that is going on with him just being par for course and normal? Could it be reflux/silent reflux combined (he doesn't always spit up)? 
What other things can I do to help him other than the cereal? I feed him sitting up, I put him in his bouncey seat to keep him semi up right after feeding him. I am not sure whatelse to do.  

by on Aug. 21, 2014 at 9:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Aug. 21, 2014 at 10:42 AM

He has lip and tongue ties right?

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 10:43 AM
Are you using paced bottlefeeding, slowest flow newborn nipple, burping after every ounce? When nursing, can you recline, with him tummy-to-tummy with you vertically rather than horizontally, mouth over rather than under the nipple?
SuprMom12042702
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 10:49 AM
Yep both. Still waiting on them to decide if they are going to see him and clip them.

Quoting stepconfused182:

SuprMom12042702
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 10:49 AM
Yes to all of the questions. :)

Quoting MusherMaggie: Are you using paced bottlefeeding, slowest flow newborn nipple, burping after every ounce? When nursing, can you recline, with him tummy-to-tummy with you vertically rather than horizontally, mouth over rather than under the nipple?
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 10:57 AM
I think clipping the ties will make a great deal of difference.
LittleRed80
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 11:08 AM
It sounds like you are on to something with the bottle feedings. I think it sounds like you have a good plan in place. I hope it works.
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Aug. 21, 2014 at 11:19 AM
That in itself can cause all the problems you're seeing, including reflux. They need revised ASAP. Hope you can get that taken care of!

Quoting SuprMom12042702: Yep both. Still waiting on them to decide if they are going to see him and clip them.
Quoting stepconfused182:

Rosehawk
by on Aug. 21, 2014 at 1:04 PM

You might want to try putting him in a rock and play sleeper. They are inclined and portable. I have one for my daughter. The only reason we have one is that we liked it for the portablilty, no real medical reason. It also has a vibration feature that my daughter sometimes likes.

There is one thing to be aware of. It does have a recall on it. Mold CAN grow on the underside of the padding if it gets wet and/or isn't washed regularly.

Here is the one I have: http://www.target.com/p/fisher-price-newborn-rock-n-play-sleeper/-/A-15263603 

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Aug. 21, 2014 at 7:55 PM

Reflux is caused by tongue and lip ties and bottles give babies more air thus more tummy issues and spitting up...

cereal NO WAY

mamabens
by Miranda on Aug. 21, 2014 at 8:03 PM

This

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Reflux is caused by tongue and lip ties and bottles give babies more air thus more tummy issues and spitting up...

cereal NO WAY

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN