Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

having breastmilk tested?

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2014 at 12:17 AM
  • 18 Replies

has anyone ever had their breastmilk tested for calories? this is what is being suggested to me currently. we have adequate diaper counts, have even done some before/after weights and it does not appear as if supply is the issue but weight gain is still sooooooo low. im wondering if there are other options before jumping to this option?

by on Aug. 22, 2014 at 12:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shortyali
by Alicia on Aug. 22, 2014 at 5:28 AM
Have baby checked for tongue ties. My DD had great diaper output, meeting milestones and everything but was really small. It was because she was tied and had to work 2X as hard to eat so she was burning as much as she took in. Once the ties were cut she put on just about 2lbs in a month and a half at 9 months old.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 6:23 AM
Yes. Take a picture of your baby's mouth with the top lip turned up and one with the mouth open, like when the baby is crying. Lip and tongue ties interfere with proper sucking and can cause the baby to burn more calories than are being taken in. What is the baby's age and complete weight history, including lowest weight after birth?
K8wizzo
by Kate on Aug. 22, 2014 at 7:16 AM
What's the complete weight history? If you have milk calorie tested, you need to make a sample combined from every pump for 24 hours and make sure that you are massaging and doing compressions while you pump each time. My guess is that there's a tie or something else going on because a) your milk is perfect for your baby, always, and b) you fed his big sisters.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 8:47 AM
I would also guess that since they're asking to test your milk, they don't know much about breastfeeding. The suck and ties should have been the first things that were checked. I would be looking for an IBCLC (Internationally Board Certified Lactation Consultant) and probably a new pediatrician.
LeapBaby123
by Kathleen on Aug. 22, 2014 at 9:02 AM
I agree with the others and suggest looking for ties first. I did have my milk tested, but in my experience, it depends on so many factors such as time of day, how long you pump, etc. If you are going to test it, I'd do like Kate suggested.
IrishIz
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 9:19 AM

Would need to see a complete weight history with actual dates and weights and noting if naked, clothed or different scale.  Would need to know type of birth, about how long you were at the hospital and an idea of there were a lot of IV fluids.  Also what gestation is baby.  What are the diaper counts?  Any assessment for tongue or lip tie?  How long is baby nursing?  How often is baby nursing?  Is there a pacifier being used?  Is baby ever away from you?  How is baby fed then?  

It is not likely that your milk is deficient in calories.  It is usually a provider deficient in breastfeeding and lactation management.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Aug. 22, 2014 at 12:45 PM
3 moms liked this

he was VERY sick recently and has a tongue tie, the combo caused lower than normal weight gain overall...you know how I feel about this..give it some time.  YES you can get milk tested but its a pain in the butt and usually used against mom rather than supporting her

LittleRed80
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 1:16 PM
This happened to me (I think) when my preemie was in the NICU. I'm not sure if they tested it, but they said it didn't have enough fat content and gave him a special formula. It was pretty devastating for me.
isaacsmommy68
by Bronze Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 2:36 PM

I agree with this. My friend had her's tested. They told her it was too much water and had to switch to formula. The baby did even worse on the formula!

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

he was VERY sick recently and has a tongue tie, the combo caused lower than normal weight gain overall...you know how I feel about this..give it some time.  YES you can get milk tested but its a pain in the butt and usually used against mom rather than supporting her

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Aug. 22, 2014 at 3:00 PM
This!

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN